Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Anyone wear these.

Looking for some hiking shoes. local state park has reworked their trails.

Gets good reviews. Amd comes in wide.

[Linked Image from outdoorgearlab-mvnab3pwrvp3t0.stackpathdns.com]

Anything better for the price (~$150) than these that comes in wide?

I’ve tried the Merrell Moab 2. They do alright. Just are on the heavy side.

Thanks.

Dave.

Dave

�The man who complains about the way the ball bounces is likely to be the one who dropped it.� Lou Holtz

GB1

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I’ve used them backpacking for the last three years. Very good.

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I tried to buy some at Cabella's and everything else similar, but they didn't have any of them in my size.
I've had some pretty decent Adidas trail runners in the past. And they were wide.
Some waterproof Merrel's were nice until the membrane wore out.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I’ve been using the X ULTRA 3 MID GTX for the last year, and I like them a lot. ... especially the light weight.

In steep stuff, though, I found they lacked the support I need for sidehilling and whatnot, this chasing local quail into canyons, especially later in the season.

Like them a LOT walking fields for pheasant.

Good light boot for me, but glad I had my Kenetrek Hard Scrabble Hikers when the quail hunting got steep.

"What we obtain too cheap, we esteem too lightly: it is dearness only that gives every thing its value. Heaven knows how to put a proper price upon its goods; and it would be strange indeed if so celestial an article as freedom should not be highly rated." Thomas Paine
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
I have used them, I like them my only complaint is the soles don't last for sh_t. In fairness I am on a lot of very abrasive rock.

Eat Fish, Wear Grundens, Drink Alaskan.
IC B2

L
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
L
I've used them since last summer, first hiking in the mountains of northern New Mexico, later as a daily 2.5 mile walking shoe (on pavement in the city). Comfortable, but not a stiff shoe at all, making them mediocre at best for rough country hiking. As a walking shoe they have been excellent; soles outlast other good quality "strictly for walking" shoes I've used over the years.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I've used them for 4-5 years as short hike/kick around in wet conditions shoes. Unfortunately for me, I have a bunion on my left foot and one of the tie point on that side lays right on my bunion. After about 7-8 miles of hiking, my bunion really starts to ache from the extra pressure at that point. I love the shoe and about anything Salomon. The Quest 4D is my favorite early season hunting/hiking boot. A little warm in the summer but I'll take the tradeoff.

Adversity doesn't build character, it reveals it.
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Thanks for the replies.

Looks like it’ll work good for around here. Not a lot of elevation. Nothing steep for sure.

Dave

�The man who complains about the way the ball bounces is likely to be the one who dropped it.� Lou Holtz

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
If you need wides, have you checked out Keene's? I wear their 6" boots because they're the best fit I've found for my wide feet.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
I haven’t checked Keenes ( tried on) Though a couple of pair I’ve held in stores seemed heavy.

Dave

IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by BigDave39355
I haven’t checked Keenes ( tried on) Though a couple of pair I’ve held in stores seemed heavy.

I like Keen street shoes (probably have 8 pairs), but their hiking shoes/boots are heavy and not well made (they come apart). BUT, the best shoes are those that fit you well...

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Thanks for the replies.

Looks like it’ll work good for around here. Not a lot of elevation. Nothing steep for sure.

I use mine here in Montana on extremely steep and rocky conditions with a full pack, as does my wife. We have zero issues with them above timberline, but everyone's feet/ankles vary as others have noted above... you just have to try them for yourself to know what will work.

N
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
N
Thanks for the replies.

I have not worn ‘those’ specifically, but am on my third pair of the Salomon Speedcross. It’s a ‘mountain running’ (trail running) shoe, but it’s also my preferred hiking/packing shoe now.
They hold up well and have proven themselves in the Whites.

�Out of every one hundred men, ten shouldn't even be there, eighty are just targets, nine are the real fighters, and we are lucky to have them, for they make the battle. Ah, but the one, one is a warrior, and he will bring the others back.�
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Found a semi local store that stocks Salomons. I’ll see if they have the x ultra 3 to try on.

Dave

L
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
L
I have a wide forefoot and narrow heels and have found the Altras to be perfect for me. I have used the 3.5 and the 4.0 Lone Peaks and they are the best that I have found so far. They are very wide across the toe box. They are zero drop design which is no problem for me. Their rockguard midsole works very well and they provide excellent traction in all conditions to include wet rock and hard snow.

mike r

Don't wish it were easier
Wish you were better

Stab them in the taint, you can't put a tourniquet on that.
Craig Douglas ECQC
J
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
J
Every ones foot is different. I have no issues with Soloman, in fact the 4D hiking boots are my favorite. But for trail runners the La Sportiva's fit me better. Worth a look.

https://www.rei.com/product/848242/la-sportiva-wildcat-20-gtx-trail-running-shoes-mens

Most people don't really want the truth.

They just want constant reassurance that what they believe is the truth.
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by lvmiker
I have a wide forefoot and narrow heels and have found the Altras to be perfect for me. I have used the 3.5 and the 4.0 Lone Peaks and they are the best that I have found so far. They are very wide across the toe box. They are zero drop design which is no problem for me. Their rockguard midsole works very well and they provide excellent traction in all conditions to include wet rock and hard snow.

mike r

Mike,

Googled the altras. See no mention of a wide version on their website.

Are the toeboxs wode enough on the standard version?

La sportivas look good also. No mention of wide either.

Dave

L
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
L
Big Dave, The Altras feature a very wide toe box and are a large volume shoe. When I bought my 1st pair I had tried on every shoe on the wall when the associate brought me the Altra Lone Peak 3.5, it was distinctly wider than any other across the toe box w/o being sloppy. The 4.0 are even better. Like any shoe they have to be tried on to realize the pro and cons. I hope this has been helpful.

mike r

Don't wish it were easier
Wish you were better

Stab them in the taint, you can't put a tourniquet on that.
Craig Douglas ECQC
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Thanks Mike.

I’ll check their web for any local altra dealers.

Dave

R
Campfire Ranger
Online Sleepy
Campfire Ranger
R
Another altra lone peak fan

REI

has the Solomon GTX on sale now

https://www.rei.com/product/122167/salomon-x-ultra-3-mid-gtx-hiking-boots-mens

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

558 members (222Sako, 10gaugemag, 1lessdog, 007FJ, 1lesfox, 160user, 53 invisible), 2,672 guests, and 1,245 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,365
Posts18,469,021
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.