Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
G
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
G
Had the BOSS on two Brownings. A BAR 338 Winmag and an Eclipse Hunter 308. Worked great on both. As a hand loader it made things easy. Load as hot as you can without pressure signs then dial in the accuracy. I wonder why they aren't offered anymore. Maybe because it appeared too complex for most?

Truth sounds like hate to those who hate truth.
BP-B6

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by RedBeard308
Had the BOSS on two Brownings. A BAR 338 Winmag and an Eclipse Hunter 308. Worked great on both. As a hand loader it made things easy. Load as hot as you can without pressure signs then dial in the accuracy. I wonder why they aren't offered anymore. Maybe because it appeared too complex for most?

I think you are correct...

"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die, I want to go where they went"
Will Rogers
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Probably cost, and staying competitive. Other manufacturers successfully sell rifles without the device.

Originally Posted by mauserand9mm
Originally Posted by Raspy
Whatever you said...everyone knows you are a lying jerk.

That's a bold assertion. Point out where you think I lied.

Well?
S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
They change the vibration of the barrel so you can tune in whatever load you desire vs. taking what ever bullet performs in a fixed barrel.

they work...

Just a note, but match barrels / custom barrels tend to like all bullets, especially when the smith does a good precision chambering job... or so I’ve learned over the years.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I had Model 70 in 338 Win with a BOSS. Super accurate when dialed. I just didn't care for the looks and extra noise.

"Doing right isn't always easy but it is always right."
IC B2

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
works great

I bought a '06 BOSS SS A-bolt in 1995

its been my primary goto rifle ever since

DON'T USE THE MUZZLE break version, you will get tinnitus and have to buy a suppressor

3/4" groups are easy to tune in, 1/2" groups are possible to with a lot of trial and error

I have swapped the weight for a suppressor and dial that in/out to tune loads

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Got mine in 1994. I don't use the boss either, but it could be nice to get the groups I want then put the CR back on.

H
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
H
I'm somewhat surprised that these aren't being slicked-up as "suppressor-ready" rifles. Or, maybe they are and I just let the cat outta the bag?

I can walk on water.......................but I do stagger a bit on alcohol.
E
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
E
I have one on a composite stalker 7mm-08. The idea is sound and it certainly does work. In my opinion it was marketed to make the buyer be able to get factory ammo to shoot itty bitty groups. The reality is that while possible with factory ammo, many people do not buy enough ammo to really take advantage of that. You can initially set it and then start to tweak it. This will require a fair amount of ammo to find the best setting for a particular gun and load. The issue is when you run out of that ammo and head to the store to buy more you may not get the exact same lot number and you may have to start over with the tuning and waste mote time and ammo. If you reload just pick a bullet and velocity you want to be at then tune for that load. As long as you have the components to load more exactly the same you are good to go. If I had to do it over again I probably would not buy my rifle with the BOSS. It is generally easy enough to find an accurate load and the BOSS does add some length and weight to an otherwise really handy rifle.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
P
"The concept apparently is sound. I'm surprised more companies don't offer something similar, especially now that oogly stuff hanging on the end of the barrel is pretty widely accepted."

Probably because Browning or the conglomerate that owns Browning controls the patents on the BOSS. There was an outfit called QUE that made a muzzle device that was a clone of the BOSS. It worked as a friend put on on a temperamental Ruger #1 and it tamed that rifle down quite nicely. I decided to get one for a rifle that wasn't cooperating but but then QUE had shut down and was no more.

On another note, I've only shot two rifles with the BOSS or the QUE clone. The Ruger was a .300 Win. mag. and the recoil was somewhat less with the QUE. The Browning BAR in .338 Win. Mag. running a hot premium load with 250 gr. bullets was actually the first time I found the .338 Win. to be a pleasure to shoot. Accuracy was very good in both rifles.
Paul B.

Our forefathers did not politely protest the British.They did not vote them out of office, nor did they impeach the king,march on the capitol or ask permission for their rights. ----------------They just shot them.
MOLON LABE
IC B3

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by Redneck
Originally Posted by 300Winnie
Looking at a rifle with the BOSS system. Opinions?

Thank you in advance.

300winnie
Blue Book sez it's worth a "premium"... Real world sez otherwise. I've had several people ask me to cut off the sumbish and recrown the barrel... FWIW..

Might have had you cut a couple off for me, grin.

A
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A
I bought a m70 338 BOSS second hand. It came with muzzle brake, the clr as well as a thread protector collar.

If it bothers you, just get a smith to make a collar for you.

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
I had a BOSS on an A-Bolt Synthetic 22-250 in the 90's. It worked well but was loud, as everyone mentions. I ran it through paper exercises with different loads and it definitely opened up and closed group sizes. I ended up rebarrelling the rifle to a faster twist 22-250 but I used the setup for many hogs and deer. Even with the 14 twist, it was a hammer with Green and Yellow box, Remington 55 gr SPs.

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Originally Posted by PJGunner
"The concept apparently is sound. I'm surprised more companies don't offer something similar, especially now that oogly stuff hanging on the end of the barrel is pretty widely accepted."

Probably because Browning or the conglomerate that owns Browning controls the patents on the BOSS. There was an outfit called QUE that made a muzzle device that was a clone of the BOSS. It worked as a friend put on on a temperamental Ruger #1 and it tamed that rifle down quite nicely. I decided to get one for a rifle that wasn't cooperating but but then QUE had shut down and was no more.

On another note, I've only shot two rifles with the BOSS or the QUE clone. The Ruger was a .300 Win. mag. and the recoil was somewhat less with the QUE. The Browning BAR in .338 Win. Mag. running a hot premium load with 250 gr. bullets was actually the first time I found the .338 Win. to be a pleasure to shoot. Accuracy was very good in both rifles.
Paul B.

I was wondering about the patent issue. Harrell's Precision makes them for rimfires and the AR15 and calls them tuners - the AR15 versions are also a combined brake. Same principle of an adjustable weight.

http://harrellsprec.com/index.php/products/harrell-rimfire-tuners-403

http://harrellsprec.com/index.php/products/ar15-tuner-brake

http://harrellsprec.com/index.php/products/tactical-tuner-brake-for-ar15

Originally Posted by Raspy
Whatever you said...everyone knows you are a lying jerk.

That's a bold assertion. Point out where you think I lied.

Well?
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I've got the BOSS on a model 70 in 22-250. I'd rather have the 4" of barrel that they lopped off to put on the BOSS. The actual barrel length is only 19-3/4".

Brushbuster: "Is this thread about the dear heard or there Jeans?"
Plugger: "If you cant be safe at strip club in Detroit at 2am is anywhere safe?"
Deer are somewhere all the time
To report a post you disagree with, please push Alt + F4. Thank You.
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
729 members (10gaugemag, 16penny, 160user, 12344mag, 21, 12308300, 75 invisible), 2,714 guests, and 1,363 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,623
Posts18,398,611
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.