Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
R
RyanTX Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
I had preordered mine back at the first of December. It finally came in last week, but I didn't have a chance to shoot it until yesterday.

After reading a lot of the posts here (and in the rimfire section) on it, and seeing several video reviews, I was beginning to question my decision to order one.

A few of the issues that people reported having with it were:
1) firing 36 grain bullets reliably
2) inability to shoot POA
3) cracking slide and blown extractor from shooting slightly out of battery
4) failure to feed first round from a loaded mag
5) having to clean it every 100 rds to get it to function

So, I took the pistol out to the farm. It was my dad's birthday and we were helping him with some chores and then having a big cookout. So, no accuracy report other than how coke cans fared out to 40 yds.

First, because of reports of ammo issues, I didn't bring my normal 22 pistol food, instead I brought the cheap stuff. Good ol' Remington Thunder-turds, golden bullets, Winchester 36gr bulk pak (didn't make pic below), Federal Automatch and for good measure some CCI MiniMags (not cheap, but wanted to see how they performed).

[Linked Image]

The good:

We put a little over 500 rounds total from the various sources listed above through it. Not only did I NOT clean it every 100 rds, I didn't clean it at all. I never added a drop of oil to it. It was how it came from the factory.

We didn't have a single failure to fire. Everything we fed it went bang and the gun cycled flawlessly after every round fired. I can say that I've never had that happen with the brands of ammo that I was using before.

While we weren't shooting for accuracy, it was minute of coke can (easily) out to 40 yds. And, it shot POA for me as well. Most of the rounds fired were 36gr and it did so with aplomb.

Now, the only negative issue I ran into. There were 5 times (out of over 500 shots fired) where I had a failure to feed. This was because, when you load the magazine to capacity, that last couple of rounds would sit flat (level) instead of angling the bullet up.

[Linked Image]

As a result, those 5 times I had a fail to feed. So, it seems that issue number 4 above did affect it 1% of the time.

While out there, I had 4 people who had never shot a handgun in their lives shoot it for a while. They all had so much fun that they shot until dark and arguing over who got to shoot next (adults).

All in all, mine seems to be a great pistol so far and even fires (with 100% reliability) the cheap ammo that even my Ruger MK3's don't always like.

I'm glad that I got mine (so far).

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same." - Ronald Reagan
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Excellent! I'm happy for you.

I've read a bunch of other reviews (both good and bad) and have been wondering about this pistol--does Glock have a quality control issue in manufacturing or a design defect. I'm glad that your pistol runs well.

Regarding the failures to feed, were the misfeeds always one of the first two rounds of a newly loaded magazine--one of the rounds that was "sitting flat?" Or were they one of the subsequent rounds from a magazine that had a top round sitting flat? Also, once you noticed a top round sitting flat, was it something you could correct by re-positioning the round--aka jiggling it, or futzing with it?

As for accuracy, I don't know what your normal accuracy expectations are, but if you can hit a coke can at 40 yds, off-hand with a pistol right outta the box, that's pretty darn good! I look forward to seeing what the gun prints on paper from from a rest!

Enjoy the new gun! (And, happy birthday to your dad! I hope he still enjoys shooting!)

Wade

"Let's Roll!" - Todd Beamer 9/11/01.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by RyanTX
[Linked Image]

The polymer magazine on my TX22 does that sometimes. When it does I depress the follower tab a bit to let all of the rounds fall so the first one is aligned/angled properly with the rest within the magazine body and then let it spring up freely. Sometimes you have to shake the mag a tad to get the top one or two to fall and stack together. That has pushed the first bullet into proper position for me on the TX22 magazine.

How is the trigger on yours? Does it feel like a normal center fire Glock trigger or is there a discernible difference?

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Thanks for the report. Sounds promising.

Sent from my Dingleberry Handheld Wireless
A
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Thanks Ryan,

I appreciate the report.

Sounds like you hooked a few more for our sport. Good Job.

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell
IC B2

R
RyanTX Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
Waders - It was always with the first round and only after inserting the mag and then releasing the slide. If doing a tactical reload, there were no issues.

After the 2nd time that it did it, I would jiggle the round (tap the magazine or shove the round back a little with my finger) and it would feed fine then.

The trigger feels exactly like the factory trigger on my other Glocks. In fact, it looks like the trigger parts are completely interchangeable. Will look into this more.

Yep, dad had a great day. Spent some time in the round pen with my oldest son working with my son's new horse. Beautiful day for early February.

[Linked Image]

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same." - Ronald Reagan
P
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
P
HEY ALL...Picked mine up last week...have shot at least 1,000 rounds thru it...mine shows a definite preference for high velocity ammo..cci mini mags...aguila HV...Fed 719...
ELEY FORCE.. gave one FTF...fired on second go round..also have had it do that in my Henry Golden Boy that i have set up for rimfire lever action silhouette matches...
I suspect the last case of Force i rec'd is suspect...it dates to 2015...
Also..it is not as accurate with standard velocity ammo...AND AGUILA Target Competition seems very slow..hardly any recoil and i had a couple of stovepipes and FTE and FTF...
The recoil is really very snappy...was suprised at the recoil when i fired the first 3-4 shots...!!!! It shot a little low and left at 25yds...easily to adjust for...
Except for the aforementioned Aguila had no FTF or FTE... it is ACCURATE with 4 diff brands of HV ammo so far....will use it for rimfire steel challenge matches at my club..

Pete

V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
RyanTX: Dang that sounds like fun - I wish I had been there just to watch the "newbies" enjoying the pistol!
And thank you for the first hand experiences and the fine photos.
Enjoy.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

A
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
A
Thanks for the review. I’ve been wanting one.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Glock said they took 3 years on this. All it had to be was dead nuts reliable with any ammo, and maybe fairly accurate.

I might pay $99 lol

IC B3

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T

Now, the only negative issue I ran into. There were 5 times (out of over 500 shots fired) where I had a failure to feed. This was because, when you load the magazine to capacity, that last couple of rounds would sit flat (level) instead of angling the bullet up.

[Linked Image]

First round nose dive is a common complaint with them, but folks have discovered a solution. After fully loading the mag, hold it upside down, pull slightly back (up) on the mag spring control piece and release, allowing it to snap the top bullets into proper position. Now insert and rack the slide.

R
RyanTX Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
After fully loading the mag, hold it upside down, pull slightly back (up) on the mag spring control piece and release, allowing it to snap the top bullets into proper position. Now insert and rack the slide.

Should I stand on one foot and pinch my nose while I'm at it? All kidding aside, I don't think that you should have to employ methods like that just to get your mag to feed properly. Fortunately, like I mentioned before, it only did it about 1% of the time. Pretty insignificant from my experience with it. Although, I've read reports of it being more persistent of a problem for others.

I've put another 300 rounds through it this past week (no cleaning yet) and didn't have a single failure to fire or feed. So far, I really like this gun. Fits all of my G19 holsters perfectly too.

Thanks for the comments fellas, much appreciated.

T
TWR Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
I saw somewhere that the user guide from Glock said to not pull the follower down past loading one round at a time. Pulling the follower down and dropping shells into the mag is a sure way to cause it to jam.

T
TWR Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
And thinking about it, my S&W 15-22 will do the same thing.

R
RyanTX Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by TWR
I saw somewhere that the user guide from Glock said to not pull the follower down past loading one round at a time. Pulling the follower down and dropping shells into the mag is a sure way to cause it to jam.

Yep, when loading it, I only pulled the follower down far enough for each round at a time.

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by TWR
And thinking about it, my S&W 15-22 will do the same thing.

Yep.

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Originally Posted by TWR

Yep, when loading it, I only pulled the follower down far enough for each round at a time.

None of my four magazines exhibit that issue (nose down) with 40 grain Blazers.

T
TWR Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
I wound up with a 44 this week and shot it today. The first mag through it showed me exactly what not to do but after that I paid close attention to the last 3 rounds and never had anymore trouble.

I shot 75 CCI Mini Mags, no problems.
100 CCI SV's no problems.
100 CCI Blazer no problems.
100 rounds of Federal 550 pack 36 grain ammo and had one dud.
100 rounds of Remington Golden Bullets and had one round fail to feed.
Shot 20 rounds on a pie plate at 15 yards
Shot a 10" steel plate at 50 yards with few misses. Love it!

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
They are fun to shoot.....

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Update on my Glock 44-22LR;

I took it in to a gunsmith, to have him put a Ghost trigger link in it.

He looked it up on the 'net and said that "ghost" says the link for a model 19 will work, so he put one in.

It wouldn't reset the trigger, so NO GO!

He showed me the stock trigger link, and the one for a 19,

And you can see that there's a different bend in the 44 trigger link.

He did put a scale on my factory trigger; it's 7 lbs.

I'll just have to shoot it more to get used to it.

I'm actually hitting pretty well with the trigger like it is. ( for ME!)

Virgil B.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

625 members (160user, 10Glocks, 1973cb450, 1beaver_shooter, 10gaugemag, 06hunter59, 68 invisible), 2,929 guests, and 1,196 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,257
Posts18,467,069
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.