Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
R
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
R
Some public land near my place is crawling with feral hogs and I can either use a bow or a shotgun but limited to #2 shot. Are any of the non leads better than lead for penetration out 30 yards? Thinking Bismuth from a Hevis-shot factory load 1 1/2 ounces. How does Tungston compare? Penetration being the most important criteria and the ability to pattern tightly. I will be shooting at the head/ neck junction at generally less than 25 yards from a tree.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

U
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
U
Nothing compares to TSS. Lead will flatten on bone. TSS doesn't deform even when hitting steel. I'd just get the Federal TSS 7s if only shoot to 25 yards.

Living in a world of G17s and 700s, wishing for P7s and 202s
R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
TSS is hard to beat for penetration and patterns,but I think if you are shooting 25 yds and under, lead out of a Turkey choke would be more than enough.
But I have never killed feral hog so maybe their tougher than I thought.
If your not worried about cost TSS is fantastic,Bismuth I'm thinking would work fine also.

Greg

Semper Fi
R
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
R
Well I tested some Hevi-shot "Hevi-Hammer loads, they have a small number of bismuth shot in them but are mostly loaded with steel shot. At 25 yards the steel pellets penetrated the side of a 55 gallon steel drum. Lead #2's dented it. The bismuth shot splattered easier than regular lead. I ordered some Hevi-shot Hevi-X tungston #2 shot from Midway and hopefully will test them soon. I was surprised just how tight the Hevi-Hammer loads patterned through my Turkey choke, all pellets inside 9 inches at 25 yards!

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B

the tungsten #2 will be like nothing you've ever shot before. They will penetrate like crazy.

IC B2

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
I know that Reloader7MM has some BB's (I know that you were talking about #2) but they have been killing deer and hogs with them.

I may not be smart but I can lift heavy objects

I have a shotgun so I have no need for a 30-06.....
R
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
R
What choke tubes are good with Tungston?

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I'd think bismuth would be too light and too soft.

TSS would probably be the way to go. Not cheap...but it'd be your best bet. Not sure what chokes guys are running with larger TSS shot.

I'm going to be doing that research myself sometime. I wanna come up with a coyote load.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
modified for bismuth or steel

LIFE NRA , we vote Red up here, Norseman
R
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
R
Well I tested several loads using #2 shot, lead and steel. And of course the Hevi Hammers. Well it seemed a wast e to me to use those since the bismuth penetrated less than lead with the steel giving better penetration at 30 yards. I settled on the
HEVI Steel from Hevi shot 3" 1/14 Oz #2. So I poured a bag of corn out one day and checked back on it until I knew they were hitting it, climbed into the tree stand just before daylight one morning and must have chased them off doing so. But they came back after 30 minutes of quiet. There were 3 in the hundred pound range, probably 10 of various sizes down to 20 pounds and a couple of 200 pound sows. The first to give me a decent shot was a 75 pounder and I centered the pattern on her neck, one squeal and she is down and running but laying on her side. I figure the range at 25 paces and shot hit her a bit on the shoulder, her neck and the back of her head. Worked just fine. Shotgun being a Mossberg 500 with a Primos Tight wad choke. I know it is not rated for steel but there seems to be no marks inside it from the shot. And it does pattern very tightly with this load. There were a few shot in the onside shoulder Penetration was pretty good as I found no shot in the meat of that shoulder or the other side. I found a couple in the backstrap near the spine. My take is I would shoot another this size or a bit bigger again under those circumstances.

Last edited by rickt300; 04/03/20.

IC B3

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
Lead is gonna be FAR better than steel, and bismuth is better than steel...on flesh/bone/game, for penetration. It’s about density of the shot.....steel is the absolute worst. Testing penetration on a steel drum for buckshot penetration on game was a waste of AMMO, unless your gonna outfit your hogs with some medieval armor. 18gcc TSS #2s would probably take a really big hog to catch one. FWIW, EMI (Hevishot company) is FOS regarding about 90% of whatever they promote with their loads. They’ve flat out lied about shot and load composition on several loads.

R
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by hh4whiskey
Lead is gonna be FAR better than steel, and bismuth is better than steel...on flesh/bone/game, for penetration. It’s about density of the shot.....steel is the absolute worst. Testing penetration on a steel drum for buckshot penetration on game was a waste of AMMO, unless your gonna outfit your hogs with some medieval armor. 18gcc TSS #2s would probably take a really big hog to catch one. FWIW, EMI (Hevishot company) is FOS regarding about 90% of whatever they promote with their loads. They’ve flat out lied about shot and load composition on several loads.

Well I agree that testing shot on a steel drum does not equal doing the same thing on a hog. However I did test the Hevi shot #2 load on a hog and it did kill the hog. Shooting downward at less than 30 yards the steel shot penetrated very well. That said the drum testing was to compare the ability of the different shot types to penetrate, steel won.

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
Steel will NOT win on flesh and bone over lead or HTL shot types, period. Any #2 lead load will outperform any #2 steel load, period. Any HTL #2 load will outperform the lead...physics and stuff. You were fortunate you killed that hog. Sometimes #2 steel has penetration issues much past 30 yards on ducks and geese. I wouldn’t take it hog hunting on a dare, and a 22 rimfire would be preferable. If you shoot some test medium HARDER than the projectile, you’ve skewed your results. They’re ALL harder than a hog. The heavier/higher mass in a similar velocity window will penetrate more hog than the lighter ones....no matter how hard.

Last edited by hh4whiskey; 11/04/20.
R
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
R
Okay I will run a penetration test using water filled gallon milk jugs.

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
https://www.trapshooters.com/thread...cs-with-different-shot-densities.267784/

Do you need to shoot milk jugs full of water to know that in objects of the same size, shape, and velocity, that the ones with more mass/density will penetrate further in a soft medium? They’re all round balls. Sure, lead will deform more on bone than harder shot, but it’s been working for 300 years. I’d imagine the trouble is finding #2 lead that’s hardened or plated. #9 TSS will out penetrate #2 steel. #4 lead will out penetrate #2 steel.

R
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
R
https://www.trapshooters.com/thread...cs-with-different-shot-densities.267784/

Do you need to shoot milk jugs full of water to know that in objects of the same size, shape, and velocity, that the ones with more mass/density will penetrate further in a soft medium? They’re all round balls. Sure, lead will deform more on bone than harder shot, but it’s been working for 300 years. I’d imagine the trouble is finding #2 lead that’s hardened or plated. #9 TSS will out penetrate #2 steel. #4 lead will out penetrate #2 steel.

Ever heard of projectile design? Steel is harder than lead though lighter. Hard round objects may well penetrate deeper than soft round objects that get flattened. Waiting for my daughter to get up for her second shift job so I can shoot a couple of rounds into the jugs. The steel loads also have a faster starting velocity. I have some lead #2's Remington 1 1/4 express. I will be shooting at bone on the hogs. The head/neck area.

Last edited by rickt300; 11/06/20.

R
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
R
Okay tested on two one gallon jugs of water. Kind of a toss up. 30 yards on a board propped to give me an even look at the jugs in line. Both loads penetrated both jugs. Both loads left shot in the second jug. The steel load weighing the same but going 200 fps faster kicked noticeably harder. Winner of test the lead load. Recoil being the main reason. A lot of the lead pellets in the second jug deformed somewhat, the steel not at all.

Last edited by rickt300; 11/06/20.

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
‘Projectile Design’? They not DESIGNED perfectly spherical. The projectiles are COMPOSED of different materials of varying hardness and mass. Your attempting things yourself that have been truly proven as nauseam and have been common knowledge in shotgun circles for decades.

R
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
R
‘Projectile Design’? They not DESIGNED perfectly spherical. The projectiles are COMPOSED of different materials of varying hardness and mass. Your attempting things yourself that have been truly proven as nauseam and have been common knowledge in shotgun circles for decades.

Funny the steel gave identical penetration in the water jugs. The steel shot is spherical and it's hardness does help it penetrate various mediums. The lead shot does deform when it hits the water jugs to a degree. Now if I were doing the tests out at 40 yards there would be some real measurable differences. Inside of 30 yards either load will work for me, the steel load just kicks more.

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
You sure you didn’t mean the steel load kicks LESS?

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
123 members (257 mag, 6mmCreedmoor, 160user, 35, 6mmbrfan, 10Glocks, 13 invisible), 1,779 guests, and 823 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,728
Posts18,400,776
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.