Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by 7_08FAN
Might change my mind after I try it, but going to try a Leupold 4x33 on a light weight 10/22. I can always go back to the variable if this don't pan out. I hunt with a dog an most trees aren't that tall here. I appreciate reading what everyone has used successfully.

That's a nice bright, compact and lightweight scope that should work fine.
I have an old Redfield Widefield 4x tv screen scope that I may put on my 39m in place of the Vari-x ii 2x7 to move the eye relief forward without moving the rings.
Optics on the old Redfield might not be up to par with new scopes. But it has a really wide field of view compared to any other 4x I've used. And I don't do much shooting with it near dusk or dawn anyway.

BP-B2

7_08FAN Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Nice set up. I am trying to cut weight and quality of my hunting rig. Dog hunting I go through the brush and sometimes have to lay it down in less than ideal conditions. I like Ruger for the ability to load and unload them quickly with the box magazine. I am going to get a new 10/22 strippo and retire my 77/22 for a while. Will see how it works out.

"Mark the birds and handle your Dog"
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
This 10-22 has a Volquartsen barrel, Jard fire control unit, Hogue stock and a 4-12 Cabelas scope with A/O I bought here on the Fire from JB.

It's a tack driver. A/O lets me adjust parallax to 50' for my indoor range in my carport attic. On low power at 4X, it's OK for offhand shooting.

DF

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Last edited by Dirtfarmer; 01/22/20.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
OP - long ago took my then Jack Russel Terrier out.....had a Marlin 75 Carbine, short barrel, tube feed, set up with a 2.5x using Rem Subsonic HPs - I laid many a cat squirrels (gray squirrels) down running thru the trees, and did feel handicapped but it worked. Shot further than I would have thought I would have connected. Now on that note, a fellow once told me his preferred scope....he hunted up north. On his Anschutz, he ran a straight 3x, saying it seemed odd, but was perfect for how he hunted at his distances. You will do fine. If you ever move up, as I did, the 6 x or 2-7x will give you that little extra, should you feel you need it.

Simplicity is good, and a 4x has served many owners well using the 22 LR.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by TomM1
The weaver 2-7 Rimfire scope is a good one. Made in Japan. Nice and trim, believe Natchez has them on sale.

I bought 3 of them in last few months. Put one in my new Henry lever action, and each of the kids got one in their Broening SA22s that Santa dropped off. Verdict to be determined, but so far so good.

IC B2

B
B
Either 2-7 or 3-9 would serve you fine. With a .22, your ammo selection is generally 10x more important than your scope. Spend some time running nice quality HPs (eley, etc) and patterning then. If you want to go all out, chrono for lowest SD to remove yourself from the equation.

Ultimately, when we tune loads to a riflearm, we are adjusting powder charges (just the tip of the iceberg during this step), until we are running in a FPS node that matches the harmonic responses frequency of the gunshot. The sound wave should be back centered as the bullet exits the muzzle.

The opposite way of doing that, is testing different ammo in it, until it’s accurate. This is why different guns like different ammo.

Once you know what your rifle likes to eat, you stand a much great chance of hitting a l squirrel well and getting a good clean kill.

D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
I have several of the 2x7 leupold and I like them, but recently have been using the Burris rimfire scopes,very clear glass.

Benefactor Life Member NRA, Arizona Hunter Education Instructor
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
use a 410 and ya don't need a scope...

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

T
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by 7_08FAN
Thinking about another rimfire scope for shooting treed squirrels.

I have a Leupold 4-12X FD / AO on my rimfire. Mostly shoot from a rest of one sort or another. I haven't shot it 'cept at 12X in quite a while, maybe a couple years. I'm not a knob twister. I would look for the same scope but with their new-ish "TRI-MOA" crosshair.

Anyone who thinks there's two sides to everything hasn't met a M�bius strip.

Here be dragons ...
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Seafire

I’ve read it on here before, “my dad would rather have a daughter that worked in a whorehouse than a son that would shoot a squirrel with a shotgun”. Can’t say I’ve ever shot a squirrel with a shotgun, nor do I ever plan to. Not saying you can’t though.

IC B3

U
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
U
I shoot a lot of treed sq. using a Weaver RV7. 75% of shots are at 7x. 25% at 2.5x. I could do all at 2.5x but 7x is easier if I have time and helps with snaking the bullet through twigs. That scope is plenty clear out to about 75 yards but not further.

If compactness is wanted, a Leupold 4x is a small scope and is enough for treed sq. We're only talking 35 yards or so. The bigger challenge is staying on line to get them when they're timbering. That's when you want a shotgun. When more than one person is along we always take both a 22 and a shotgun.

I hit one running down a limb at about forty yards a few weeks back. Headshot, too. The cur was the only witness, though, and I haven't been able to teach it to talk yet. It'd probably just complain about all the times I missed instead, anyway.

Living in a world of G17s and 700s, wishing for P7s and 202s
R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
Originally Posted by BKS
I have a Leupold 3x9x33 EFR I might want to sell.

This right here,one of the best rimfire scopes ever made,my opinion of course, I have 5 of them.

Greg

Semper Fi
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I dropped one a few weeks ago, OVER 100 paces.......iron sights, BL-22........

Whatever you use, practice.......know where your POA = POI with ammo of rifles choice......many ways to ...........skin a squirrel wink

O
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
O
I'm a diehard Leupod fan, but I have but one eception, that being a Weaver 4X Classic Rimfire scope. I use it on a Mossberg .22 LR shooting an informal silhouette match at my gun club.

It is capable of keeping a one hole group off sand bags at 25 yds, so I figure it should be more than good for squerills. Not cheap, but not too pricy for the quality I see in it either, I think I paid about $130.

Youthful enthusiasm is replaced by old age and treachery!
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by Cheesy

I’ve read it on here before, “my dad would rather have a daughter that worked in a whorehouse than a son that would shoot a squirrel with a shotgun”. Can’t say I’ve ever shot a squirrel with a shotgun, nor do I ever plan to. Not saying you can’t though.

Dad let me hunt with a Winchester 37 410 for one year, then got me a Remington 521 T with a Weaver K4 on it. He would give me 6 shells (6 squirrel limit). Learned to make them count

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
A low cost 4-power rim fire that is very clear with a crisp reticle is the Simmons 22-mag scope.
I am not a Simmons fan, but this scope has been a mainstay with lots of people for decades.
Go-figure!
Read some reviews on it, and you’ll be surprised.

“Even if you’re on the right track, you’ll get run over if you just sit there.”
--- Will Rogers
O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
Originally Posted by blairvt
Originally Posted by Cheesy

Dad let me hunt with a Winchester 37 410 for one year, then got me a Remington 521 T with a Weaver K4 on it. He would give me 6 shells (6 squirrel limit). Learned to make them count

Your Dad is/was a very wise man.
Great story on him!

“Even if you’re on the right track, you’ll get run over if you just sit there.”
--- Will Rogers
L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Originally Posted by redjones
Originally Posted by BKS
I have a Leupold 3x9x33 EFR I might want to sell.

This right here,one of the best rimfire scopes ever made,my opinion of course, I have 5 of them.

Greg

Ditto

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
I have a Nikon Prostaff EFR 3x9 on my RAR. I like it very much.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
I have a nikon prostaff 3x9 rimfire on mine. I like it so far.

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
718 members (12308300, 160user, 11point, 10gaugemag, 10Glocks, 12344mag, 90 invisible), 2,722 guests, and 1,296 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,696
Posts18,399,917
Members73,820
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.