Hop To
#14535839 02/03/20
L
lvmiker Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
L
I am interested in the Altai Hok short skis to augment my snowshoes for winter backcountry travel. They are 125cm long, fairly wide and have integrated skins for uphill travel which make them slow and easy to control on downhills and have metal edges. They can be had w/ a universal snowboard type binding that can be used w/ any boot or shoe. If anyone has info I would appreciate hearing about any experiences or even rental opportunities. Thanks all.

mike r

Don't wish it were easier
Wish you were better

Stab them in the taint, you can't put a tourniquet on that.
Craig Douglas ECQC
GB1

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I have a set and love them, way faster than snow shoes. If it is real steep you have to side hill and switchback.

R
Campfire Ranger
Online Sleepy
Campfire Ranger
R

L
lvmiker Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
L
Thanks guys, these both sound good and are what I am looking for. I am hoping for another wolf hunt in Idaho/Montana before the end of March. The last few years there has been lots of snow and I did miles of snowshoeing up closed FS roads to access the back country and these skis seem perfect for that task. I usually pull a sled and am hoping that the skins provide enough traction for the uphill stuff.

Thanks again

mike r

Wish you were better

Craig Douglas ECQC
R
Campfire Ranger
Online Sleepy
Campfire Ranger
R
The skins work pretty good for climbing. As mentioned steep side hills descending are kind of pain but so are snow shoes. These don't come with metal edges. I have a pair of longer 190 cm BC skiis xc skis with edges when doing more open hill stuff.

Last edited by ribka; 02/04/20.
IC B2

L
lvmiker Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
L
Thanks ribka, I think I will give them a try, Black Diamond has worked for me since the '60s. I can even crash descending on snowshoes. 2 years ago in Montana I crossed a ridge from windpack to deeeeep powder and took a header into a tree bowl. I worked up a pretty good sweat getting out of that, one of those times you question the wisdom of going solo.

mike r

Wish you were better

Craig Douglas ECQC
V
V
Note that the Black Diamond Glidelite 127's do not have a metal edge. The Altai's do. Makes turning easier.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by lvmiker
Thanks ribka, I think I will give them a try, Black Diamond has worked for me since the '60s. I can even crash descending on snowshoes. 2 years ago in Montana I crossed a ridge from windpack to deeeeep powder and took a header into a tree bowl. I worked up a pretty good sweat getting out of that, one of those times you question the wisdom of going solo.

mike r

Go with the Hoks, 145 cm. The shorter version won't be enough to carry you, your gear and a rifle. I have the 145's and in deep light snow they are just enough and I'm not a heavy wt.

...and stay out of the tree wells, people die in those things.

“Some ideas are so stupid that only intellectuals believe them.”
― G. Orwell

"Why can't men kill big game with the same cartridges women and kids use?"
_Eileen Clarke

"Unjust authority confers no obligation of obedience."
- Alexander Hamilton

T
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
T
Though not the equipment mentioned, I have been hunting on skis and skins for 2 decades. It is the absolute best way to travel on snow. I will only use snowshoes when I need to travel very short distances or if snow is super wet and heavy. The bonus is you get to ski the mountain once you’ve climbed it. You will not regret this decision.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

3-7-77
L
lvmiker Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
L
Good info, just what I was looking for. the Hok 145s sound pretty good w/ the metal edges being a big factor but I wonder if their quality is equal to the BDs. SBTCO what bindings do you use on your 145s? I like the snowboard type ratchet bindings that work w/ a regular boot or even shoes. Decisions, decisions.

mike r

Wish you were better

Craig Douglas ECQC
IC B3

E
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
E
The HPG Owners Group Facebook page has a good discussion going on the Alti Hok skis right now.

Ed T

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I use the universal binding on my Hoks, I bought them be cause I wanted to be able to wear any boot.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I own a 125 and 145 pair of Hoks; the 125 pair has been taken over by wife smile. I've had them 4-5 years now and they've seen quite a few miles on them and holding up extremely well.

They are not a substitute for snowshoes in very steep and/or rocky terrain- I still do a fair bit of traveling on snowshoes. They are however faster in almost all conditions than snowshoes and with better flotation.

The attached skins climb pretty darn well, but don't slow you much downhill (they do a little which is a good thing imo). I'm not a "skier" so downhill stuff I have to be pretty cautious, but am getting better.

Last year I purchased a tiak- a single long pole, this is what the traditional Altai people use in lieu of poles. I find the tiak more useful on downhills, you can dig it in to help turn and also to slow you down a little- I think poles are probably more handy climbing.

I have the universal bindings and use either my goretex hunting boots or pacs in colder weather.

Anyways, I'm happy with mine. I leave on a two day/one night trip on Friday and the Hoks are going with smile

[Linked Image from imgur.com]

[Linked Image from imgur.com]

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by lvmiker
Good info, just what I was looking for. the Hok 145s sound pretty good w/ the metal edges being a big factor but I wonder if their quality is equal to the BDs. SBTCO what bindings do you use on your 145s? I like the snowboard type ratchet bindings that work w/ a regular boot or even shoes. Decisions, decisions.

mike r

Like the others, I have the universal for now. They work good but depending on boots, have a tendency for the rivets (holding the straps together) to rub/dig into the boots. I added some leather strips to cover the rivets to help with this. Other than that they work pretty good. I may switch them out for some three pin binders since I xc ski as well. Be aware that the permanent "skin" area covers the middle of the ski base,not full length, so If/when you ski over holes and ridges that the tips and tails of the skis ride up on leaving the middle of the ski airborne/loose you can slip (awkward to say the least, been there,done, that) so be aware of the terrain as you go and plan accordingly. This is where the steel edges can help over the BD's.

“Some ideas are so stupid that only intellectuals believe them.”
― G. Orwell

"Why can't men kill big game with the same cartridges women and kids use?"
_Eileen Clarke

"Unjust authority confers no obligation of obedience."
- Alexander Hamilton

L
lvmiker Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
L
You guys are the best, Thanks for all the info.

mike r

Wish you were better

Craig Douglas ECQC

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

584 members (1lessdog, 160user, 10gaugemag, 10Glocks, 1337Fungi, 1234, 64 invisible), 2,826 guests, and 1,171 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,341
Posts18,468,725
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.