Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I think for the OP, comparing the hunters edge (compact) to the classic is easy to see visually the differences on the template. The compact has a more open grip and shorter forearm.

Stuck in airports, Terrorized
Sent to meetings, Hypnotized
Over-exposed, Commercialized
Handle me with Care...
-Traveling Wilbury's
GB1

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Nice thread, very informative

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Originally Posted by gunnut308
Both the Hunters Edge and the Featherweight are hard to beat for a thinner barrel up to a #2 Lilja or Rock. I like the Hunter a little more at the end of the day.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Very nice stocks!

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Excellent thread. Thanks fellas.

Semper Fi
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
I just got confirmation from J Earle last night that he submitted my order to McMillan. I believe this stock will go on my 270 or 7mm WSM. If I like it, I’ll order another. Hoping with the EDGE stock it lightens the rifles up a bit. They’re too danged heavy to tote with the chunky laminate Winchester put on them.

Semper Fi
IC B2

Sixpack Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by beretzs
Excellent thread. Thanks fellas.

Agreed! I really appreciate the pics, info and help men! Very informative! Many thanks!

Sixpack Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by DakotaDeer
See if you can get Rick's Gear Shop to order a Sako Classic with swirly gel-coat, checkering, and lightweight fill for your Winny. That's what you really want.

Barring that option, get the pre-64 Monte inletted for your Winny. Great all-arounder meant for scope use.

Or, get the Echols Legend and simply live with the bit larger forend. Best recoil reduction.

Compact is too low of comb--it was built for open sights, unless you've got a fat face and shoot heads up.
Classic is more of the same.
The Bridges is superb except the grip is too open for anything but offhand shooting.
Hunter is ugly and not great for offhand shooting, and it's ugly. Nice palm swell, and ugly.

As to fill weight, I would not go "edge" if it were me. Ask for the lightweight fill on a swirly gel coat. That is only about 4+ ounces more than an edge fill, and it is a much better/solider feeling stock. The edge fill feels like a hollow shell and is much colder in the hands when temps really drop. A non-painted gel coat has color all the way through so it doesn't show wear/tear much either.

Checkering, they used to do either way that you requested--now they are stubborn about doing it one way or the other depending on style. But, if you can get checkering, then I would, as it makes nice traction and gives a little more warmth in the hands when carrying. You often have to negotiate with them to add it or take away. Most of their molds have it available and they simply fill it if you don't want it.

If you get sick of the Mickey run around, then get in touch with Mark Bansner and try to get back on the list for the David Miller pre-64 style stock. In some ways, a thinner version of the Echols Legend. Or see if you can scrub up a Brown Precision classic style, or see if they are ready yet to make them again. Wonderful design and construction, and lighter than a Mickey.

Messaged RicBin asking about the Sako Classic... it can be inletted for a Model 70 for a slight upcharge. He spoke very highly of the Sako Classic as well and said it was the closest thing to what I really wanted, a Remington Mtn Rifle stock by McMillan. Many thanks Dakota Deer... think I have my stock! Just hope the featherweight barrel doesn’t look goofy in it!

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
I don't think that light barrels actually look bad in fat forends myself.

The Sako Classic is rather close to the Mtn Rifle pattern, just a slight bit thicker in every dimension, and a bit more drop at the comb.

Mickey used to inlet Mtn Rifle pattern for Winchesters also for an extra charge but won't any longer as they have to move the inlet forward slightly in order to cover the different tang angle.

If you can ever get a Brown Precision standard (or KS) pattern for your Winchester, it is as great as a Mtn Rifle pattern (maybe even better in that the grip is a little more open).

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Lots of good info. I am pleased with the Feather weight edge on my 270 WSM. I like the Bridges and Sako Classic too. Don't overlook the MPI Dakota model either, they can build it even lighter than an edge for an up charge. This is a very trim stock with an open grip that is one of my favorites.

MPI has upgraded their production so I would discount old gripes about the company. The Brown is nice also, lots of good choices.

"When you disarm the people, you commence to offend them and show that you distrust them either through cowardice or lack of confidence, and both of these opinions generate hatred." Niccolo Machiavelli
W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Regarding the Bridges pattern rifle stock, today I tried to contact Mr. Bridges via phone (number not in service) and email (email returned failure to deliver) without success. I am of the impression that his pattern has to be ordered directly through his shop. I'm going to call McMillan tomorrow, maybe I missed the reference to this pattern on their website or they can advise on the purchase.

IC B3

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
WW, sent pm

Last edited by AKwolverine; 02/03/20.
W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
AKwolverine, appreciate that.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by TomM1
This thread is priceless for anyone considering a stock for M70.

Photo essay

Yes it is. Rick should have made that thread a sticky for damn sure. I know it was requested he do so, but to no avail... Here are some of my rifles on that template:

Winchester model 70 with hunters compact. Blue swirly:
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Pre 64 model 70 270 featherweight in hunters compact standard fill 1" red pachmayr:

Pre 64 monte carlo pattern on 1956 30-06 featherweight. Swirly is the old campfire coyote bomber that used to be a favorite here:

Not a Mcmillan, but a good stock nonetheless. Brown precision poundR on my pre 64 338wm:

Pre 64 model 70 308 fwt with a green and black swirly Hunters compact. Standard fill stock:

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Good stuff BSA.

How did the Monte Carlo fit the P-64 Fwt? Most P-64 have a rise in the back end on the trigger guard that needs to be modified on most aftermarket stocks. I’ve been told that is not the case with the Monte Carlo.

Handle me with Care...
-Traveling Wilbury's
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Great stuff BSA.

Semper Fi
W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Your Brown Precision stock is one that I would like to try BSA. I currently have several Mcm's, a Hunters Edge on a Classic FWT six digit and a Remington Mountain Rifle edge fill on a R700 as well as a Hunters Edge ADL R700. My favorites are the Brown on a Remington 700 KS and another Brown Kevlar that is not so well known it was offered for a short time on the R700 FS (camo stock was fiberglass and gray stock was a Brown) in the late 80's.

I need to restock a couple of deserving Winchester Classics and decided the Bridges looks promising. With that said, if I can find a Brown I'd be plenty happy.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Good stuff BSA.

How did the Monte Carlo fit the P-64 Fwt? Most P-64 have a rise in the back end on the trigger guard that needs to be modified on most aftermarket stocks. I’ve been told that is not the case with the Monte Carlo.

Tom, the montecarlo is an exact match for the pre 64 monte carlo factory stock. The one thing I did not like about it was the weight. I really believed the swirly weighed more than the factory wood stock. Because of this, I opted to pull it from the light featheweight action and use it on my 375H&H... It was a much better fit on the old H&H..

I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.

BSA MAGA
C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
Because of this thread, I ordered a McMillan Featherweight McWoody from Rick. Expect to be happy with it!

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Good stuff BSA.

Tom, the montecarlo is an exact match for the pre 64 monte carlo factory stock. The one thing I did not like about it was the weight. I really believed the swirly weighed more than the factory wood stock. Because of this, I opted to pull it from the light featheweight action and use it on my 375H&H... It was a much better fit on the old H&H..

There is a lot of meat on the back end of that stock. Was yours standard or edge fill? I am thinking edge fill with a 1/2” lightweight pad would complement a Fwt pretty well.

Handle me with Care...
-Traveling Wilbury's
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by woods_walker
Your Brown Precision stock is one that I would like to try BSA. I currently have several Mcm's, a Hunters Edge on a Classic FWT six digit and a Remington Mountain Rifle edge fill on a R700 as well as a Hunters Edge ADL R700. My favorites are the Brown on a Remington 700 KS and another Brown Kevlar that is not so well known it was offered for a short time on the R700 FS (camo stock was fiberglass and gray stock was a Brown) in the late 80's.

I need to restock a couple of deserving Winchester Classics and decided the Bridges looks promising. With that said, if I can find a Brown I'd be plenty happy.

The ergo's on the Brown poundR are excellent. It is one stock that I can tell you from experience that helps tremendously to soak up recoil. The Brown is on my 338 right now and the rifle weighs 7 pounds bare:

That rifle is my go to for elk hunting because of its weight and balance. It is very easy to carry and the 4+1 capacity on the 338wm is quite a bit of firepower, just in case I need to make a follow up shot.. Funny thing about that stock, is it's been re-painted probably a dozen times. I was never quite happy with it because I wanted the color to match my 270 fwt hunter compact that I showed earlier. I really like Mcmillans brown color. It took me a long time to just about duplicate it with a small amount of texture as well. Here's how it sits now, after many failed attempts on the color:

The Brown poundR is sleek and one of my favorites on any of my pre 64's.. I also know Bobin loved them and for good reason...

BSA MAGA
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

118 members (10gaugemag, 358WCF, 450yukon, 19rabbit52, 30Gibbs, 18 invisible), 1,997 guests, and 887 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,279
Posts18,467,652
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.