Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by srwshooter
My heart has been in a- fib sense at least dec2. Going in Thursday to have ablasion done to try to correct it. They shock me twice a few weeks ago and it didn’t help. Hope it works.never knew so many people have this problem.

I was getting a-fib so bad in the evening I had a hard time sleeping. Then, not connected to that, at age 56 I started working up serious miles on bicycles on preparation for my first cross country trip, that was seven years ago. It went away, I still have an occasional episode, especially when I'm stressed by hard days at work and/or lack of sleep, but nothing like before. Since then I also strive to use a bicycle as my major method of in town transportation, including the daily commute. I'd recommend it for everyone, especially as you get older

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
GB1

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I wish you good luck with the ablation.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Guess we’ll see what happens on Thursday . Went in today for all the pre- op stuff , so I’m ready.one night stay they say so Friday I should be out. Interesting bunch of reply’s here.i’v been hearing all kinds of stuff from friends about a-fib to. Sounds like no sure fire cure to me.

srwshooter, good luck on your procedure. Hope everything goes well and it is successful.

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
I had my first catheter ablation in November of 2017 and my second ablation in October of 2019. The first one put me back in sinus rhythm for about 18 months, but my A-fib came back worse than before. The second ablation has been successful so far and I feel great.

My symptoms included lightheadedness, extreme fatigue and a rapid, uneven heartbeat with many skipped beats. It got to the point this last go-round that I was reluctant to drive because I was afraid I might pass out. A month after the second ablation, I was able to drive 2,100 miles in only 2 days, from the UP of Michigan to southern Arizona, with no problems.

If you have A-fib, a baby aspirin is NOT sufficient to prevent a stroke. You need to be on a strong blood thinner such as Eliquis, and you need to stay on it for life.

I did have a cardioversion (electrical shock) procedure early in my first bout with A-fib, but it only worked for a couple weeks. I tried drug therapy, but it did not help much. I was in persistent A-fib both times, never coming back into sinus rhythm. The doctor that did the first ablation moved away and the new electrophysiologist did not want to do a second ablation. I hotfooted it to another doctor and he agreed to do it. Afterwards he told me that it would never be possible to do another one, because everything that could safely be ablated had been done.

The procedure itself is not too bad. The worst part is getting 3 IV's inserted. Then you conk out and wake up 5 or 6 hours later in beautiful sinus rhythm. You will feel some chest discomfort and be very tired for 2 or 3 days. It is normal for about 40% of patients to need a second ablation at some point.

Good luck with your procedure. If you would like to talk about this, feel free to message me and I'll give you my phone number.

Last edited by wildhobbybobby; 02/03/20.

Life is like a purple antelope on a field of tuna fish...
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Had an AV node ablation in November which stopped the lower chamber afib, but now my pacemaker took over the pacing 100% of the time. At least my ICD won't go off any more. Had a Watchman device installed in December and hopefully in 6 months I can get off the blood thinners.

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Something that I haven't seen mentioned here; all 3 of my cardiologists/electrophysiologist's were sure to tell me that the ablations are NOT a cure but a treatment. There is no guarantee that the ablations will forever fix the problem. In my case, the first ablation was a laser, the second was a cryo-ablation (freezing the tissue rather than burning it) and I have been 99% good to go for about 2 1/2 years now. Off the meds completely, thankfully. Hope it works out long term for the OP.

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
I went into A Fib about a year and a half ago. Went into the emergency room and they put me in the hospital. After a few tests decided I had a blockage of 90% in the widow maker arter. Had to be drilled out due to the calsium blockage.

My BIL has struggeled with A Fib for a few years. Wears him out. This last time he's been in A Fib for over a month. He's going in Thursday for a pace maker. His is enough of a struggle I think the doctors are overwhelmed. They have decided Ablasion won't do anything. I know a few people that went in for ablasion and they weren't able to figure out where to use it.

Truth is they are still practising and don't have some medical procedures down, like they want you to believe. I'm one of those who have a tough time telling when I'm in A Fib. Add to that a few months later I thought I was in A Fib and it turned out to be Tachycardia. Same symptoms as far as I can tell, but they used a Saline IV and it sorted itself out.

NRA LIFE MEMBER
GOD BLESS OUR TROOPS
ESPECIALLY THE SNIPERS!
"Suppose you were an idiot And suppose you were a member of Congress... But I repeat myself."
-Mark Twain
Campfire Outfitter
Online Happy
Campfire Outfitter
ask your doctor about one on monitoring implants :

https://www.biotronik.com/en-us/products/crm

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Thanks guys . I’m in the hospital by 6:45 in the am to get it done. I will keep you all posted.

Persiandog, my doctor showed me one a few weeks ago.

Last edited by srwshooter; 02/05/20.
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Doc says thing went well today. Feeling pretty good. Go home friday

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Doc says thing went well today. Feeling pretty good. Go home friday

Excellent.

N
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
N
Good news. Thought I was going to have one last year with tachycardia/PVC’s but when the doc did the EPS he couldn’t get the drugs to induce enough problems to justify an ablation so they upped my metropolol dosage and that seems to have done the trick.

NRA Life,Endowment,Patron or Benefactor since '72.
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

561 members (10gaugemag, 219DW, 12344mag, 1_deuce, 17CalFan, 1beaver_shooter, 63 invisible), 2,062 guests, and 1,085 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,081
Posts18,463,897
Members73,923
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.