Hop To
G
gnoahhh Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
G
We're all new at something sooner or later. Here's my beginner's question:

I and another old Campfire Denizen are prepping to engage in smallbore 100 and 200 yard bench competition. The twist is that it's under the auspices of the ASSRA single shot discipline. Rifle, scope, spotting scope, and ammo is covered- at least we know what we're getting into in that respect ( a pair of BSA Martini target rifles, etc.). What I never dealt with are wind flags. I know that they are critical in this game and would like to make a handful but don't wish to try to re-invent the wheel here. Any suggestions?

That 3/4" 25-ring at 100, and 1 1/2" 25 ring at 200 is mighty daunting if even a whisp of a breeze is blowing....

Last edited by gnoahhh; 02/03/20.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I made a set of cheap one's that work really well in light, switching winds. Get 3 or 4 driveway markers from a hardware store. Mine were fiberglass, so I had to drill a small hole in the end to accept a roundhead brass nail. You will need some surveyor's tape. Then get some of the small plastic tool holders that end mills and such come in. You can also get them from McMaster-Carr. I cut off the solid end, and remove the cap. Put the surveyors tape over the hole and install the cap. It will stretch the tape really tight, and when you put it on top of the driveway marker, it's incredibly sensitive and it doesn't wrap around itself after 2 minutes. Their not much good in higher winds, but for something to get started with and get used to reading, they work great for not much money spent. After I put my set up, I found out the wind on the range I go to swirls like a toilet bowl being flushed and does full reversals at that.

"Give a lazy man the toughest job, and he will find the easiest way to do it"
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by gnoahhh
What I never dealt with are wind flags. I know that they are critical in this game and would like to make a handful but don't wish to try to re-invent the wheel here. Any suggestions?

Best thing to do is google wind flags and kill several hours. There's oodles of ideas out there for the home made to the just buy 'em top of the line models. I made my own, but sometimes buying them is the real easy button. The downside, they can be pricey.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Gnoahh,

Keeney windflags will work dependent on how much you want to spend there are graham flags. You may puruse them here.
http://benchrest.com/class/index.php?a=5&b=219

The Keeney are great stand alone for the 100 but a little short for the 200. I cured that by using adjustable painters poles.

https://www.menards.com/main/paint/...ion-pole/9224/p-1444441210658-c-8090.htm

The keeney flags come out of the stand, I took and cut off the threaded portion of the poles a drilled a 3/8” hole which allowed the flag mount to slide into the extension. Remove the bottom grip and put an appropriate size pipe cap drilled for a spike to go into the ground. Cost was about 15 bucks average compared to about 50 bucks per for the fancy ones which I thought too flexible when extended causing the flag poles to move in the wind.

Swifty
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by gnoahhh
We're all new at something sooner or later. Here's my beginner's question:

I and another old Campfire Denizen are prepping to engage in smallbore 100 and 200 yard bench competition. The twist is that it's under the auspices of the ASSRA single shot discipline. Rifle, scope, spotting scope, and ammo is covered- at least we know what we're getting into in that respect ( a pair of BSA Martini target rifles, etc.). What I never dealt with are wind flags. I know that they are critical in this game and would like to make a handful but don't wish to try to re-invent the wheel here. Any suggestions?

That 3/4" 25-ring at 100, and 1 1/2" 25 ring at 200 is mighty daunting if even a whisp of a breeze is blowing....

Gnoahh, have you got your game ready or did you already shoot the match?

IC B2

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
some of the best bench shooters i have seen put out 1 flag about 30 feet in front of their bench, it does make it less complicated too . good luck,Pete53

LIFE NRA , we vote Red up here, Norseman
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by kansas99
Gnoahh, have you got your game ready or did you already shoot the match?

Neither of us has gotten a chance to get out and do some practice at 200. Rifle is all set up for it but the matches are not until May and I'm not taking odds if they'll go down.

http://www.tcandsc.org/index.php/disciplines/schutzen

If something on the internet makes you angry the odds are you're being manipulated
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Danny Keeny flags are good as are the Graham flags. I think the Graham flags are on hold during the Covid-19 deal.
I used to sell the BRT flags from Oz. I think they are heads and tails above anything else. I think I sold a set to Muledeer.
http://bulletin.accurateshooter.com/2015/06/wind-flags-in-slow-motion-youll-be-surprised/

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

381 members (1beaver_shooter, 1_deuce, 160user, 1lesfox, 22250rem, 163bc, 37 invisible), 2,093 guests, and 995 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,493
Posts18,452,353
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.