Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 23 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 22 23
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Hmmm Interesting thread. I have a few older Leupolds that seem bullet proof. I have been wanting to replace a scope on my 300 Weatherby, and was thinking about a new Leupold, but this now has me wondering if I should look elsewhere.

GB1

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by VarmintGuy
Drover: I have been buying and using Leupold scopes for over 55 (fifty five!) year now - never had a failure, never had a glitch, never had a problem!
I currently own, and use, afield and at the range, MANY dozens of Leupold scopes!
I trust them implicitly!
When the conditions are tough and the stakes high - I use my Leupolds exclusively!
I also sold (via my side line business) Leupold scopes for nearly 25 years (until I retired!) and sold MANY hundreds of them!
In all that time I had 2 (two!) Leupold scopes returned for warranty - both scopes, I am sure, had been severely abused!
Both of those scopes, that I sold to customers, were repaired virtually by instantly by the folks at Leupold - no questions asked, no hassles, no excuses, no bullschit!
Try and get that done with your nikons, your zeiss's, your weavers - etc etc etc!
In fact I bought 2 (two) Leupold scopes today (used), and from my source I expect them to have been honestly used by Hunters who have outlived there uses.
I plan on using one myself and sell the other Leupold for profit.
I passed, today, on used scopes by zeiss, bausch & lomb, weaver, simmons, burris and a couple others.
Buy Leupold - buy American - buy with confidence.
Long live Leupold & Stevens a fine American Company.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Never a failure? Are you saying that they all adjusted properly and sighted in quickly and easily?

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
W
WAM Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
The most irritating thing about Leupold scopes is the folks pronouncing it “Lee-O-Pole”. Same with “Kay-lees” ! LOL!
Happy Trails

Life Member NRA, RMEF, American Legion, MAGA. Not necessarily in that order.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Interesting how many $200 Leupold's get replaced with $900 Nightforce's. Just can't figure out why that $200 scope is not as nice as the $900 one?.........FWIW: I have owned both and have been satisfied with both. No I did not expect the $200 scope to be as nice as the $900 one. None have been perfect.

Last edited by centershot; 02/04/20.

A true sportsman counts his achievements in proportion to the effort involved and fairness of the sport. - S. Pope
P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Originally Posted by centershot
Interesting how many $200 Leupold's get replaced with $900 Nightforce's. Just can't figure out why that $200 scope is not as nice as the $900 one.........FWIW: I have owned both and have been satisfied with both. No I did not expect the $200 scope to be as nice as the $900 one. None have been perfect.

Well said!

How do you know a Trump hater? They'll tell you.
IC B2

T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
Originally Posted by Rugerfan4374
Hmmm Interesting thread. I have a few older Leupolds that seem bullet proof. I have been wanting to replace a scope on my 300 Weatherby, and was thinking about a new Leupold, but this now has me wondering if I should look elsewhere.

While others' experiences may hold value, it is YOUR experience that should hold greatest sway to you in any decision.

"I have always disliked the words 'authority' and 'expert' when applied to those who write about guns, shooting,and hunting. I have never set myself up as either."
Jack O'Connor
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Interesting how many $200 Leupold's get replaced with $900 Nightforce's. Just can't figure out why that $200 scope is not as nice as the $900 one.........FWIW: I have owned both and have been satisfied with both. No I did not expect the $200 scope to be as nice as the $900 one. None have been perfect.

Problem is the $2000+ Leupolds don't seem to be as reliable as the $900 Nightforce.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by mathman

Problem is the $2000+ Leupolds don't seem to be as reliable as the $900 Nightforce.

For that matter, the $2000 Leupolds don't seem to be as reliable as the old beat up $300 Leupolds. Thereby leading to a lot of confusion and questions and frustrations.......

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by country_20boy

For that matter, the $2000 Leupolds don't seem to be as reliable as the old beat up $300 Leupolds. Thereby leading to a lot of confusion and questions and frustrations.......

Yeah, I have a 35 year old Vari-X III, click adjustments but pre Multicoat-4, and it has been solid.

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
Originally Posted by WAM
The most irritating thing about Leupold scopes is the folks pronouncing it “Lee-O-Pole”. Same with “Kay-lees” ! LOL!
Happy Trails

Actually, the correct German Pronunciation should be and is, Loypold. EU in German is pronounced oy not eu. But I suspect the family wanted to anglicize the name. A lot of Germans were into that around WWI because everything German here was considered taboo. My mother's mother's family did this. I had a Great Aunt that denied her German ethnistics in front of God and everybody. This lady was the pillar of the Baptist church and would rather die than lie but she did right in front of a good friend of mine who was of German Descent. I told her, "David is German like us," To which she answered, "But dear, we are not German, we're English." She was partially right as her mother's family was English. But her father, my great grandfather was German. His dad, my great great grandfather came here from Germany in 1848 when he was 8 years old and planted his family name forever in this county. Their port of entry was right here on Matagorda Bay at the old townsite of Indianola Texas. Most Germans came through at New York or even Galveston, but my family were some of the first en mass immigrants from Germany and landed right here in Calhoun County Texas. But come WWI they forgot where they came from.....LOL!!! I suspect something similar happened with the Leupold family and now their off spring pronounce their name Loopold.

Last edited by Filaman; 02/04/20.

What goes up must come down, what goes around comes around, there's no free lunch. Trump's comin' back, get over it!
IC B3

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
Originally Posted by Rugerfan4374

I believe the optics of the current Leupolds to be superior to the older ones, but like a lot of things the craftsmanship and design may be lacking due to the desire to make things cheaper.

So far I'm satisfied with my numerous Leupolds. I will admit that they don't track very well,. but I've found that to be the same with several scopes. Mine do all hold Zero. I had one Rifleman that didn't but I traded it for a Nikon that did. However that Nikon and several others I've had didn't track as claimed on here with the Meopta, SWFA, Night Force, and the Zeiss Conquest. I'm not even going to bring up the more expensive Zeisses or the other German optics. I would expect a $2000+ scope to track and stand on it's head and sing the Star Spangle Banner!

What goes up must come down, what goes around comes around, there's no free lunch. Trump's comin' back, get over it!
F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F

A lot of that is market hype. A lot of people get hooked in by new products advertising as "Mo Betta" than the old reliable and even get trashed by other brands to increase their sales. I suspect that to be part of the cause of this "War on Leupolds" on this site. I can put up with the sloppy tracking because I don't do the "Knob Twist Shuffle! I set the scope at the range and use Kentucky Windage and elevation hold over in the field. Maybe I'm old fashion and doing it the hard way, but I'm not paying $600 and up for a sighting system on my deer rifle that I never shoot at game at over 400-500 yards. And as for being dependable, I've owned and still own many leupolds and have only experienced problems with two. One Rifleman didn't hold Zero well and I took it back, and one VX-1 I bought used that had a power adjustment ring that was hard to turn but after working it back and forth several times with a squirt of spray lube in it, it loosened up and I still use it.. So far that's been it with real problems with my Leupolds. Other wise they've been totally dependable for me.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I'm late to this party, and don't have a huge number of scopes to draw on. My rifles, that have scopes, are made by Leupold. Most of my scopes are older but some are made this century. grin I'm mostly a set it and forget kinda guy. I do have a scope used for rimfire silhouette, 3x9 EFR, that has been cranked up and down for 13 years of rimfire practice and matches in the hunter division. It's an older one without turrets, I put a Stoney Point "turret" on it. Probably not the best setup, but the targets are small and accuracy is critical. It's never let me down and works perfectly. For the price it's hard to complain about it or the other scopes I have.
I seem to be in the minority here but when I buy another scope, I'll still look hard at Leupold.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

H
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by Filaman

A lot of that is market hype. A lot of people get hooked in by new products advertising as "Mo Betta" than the old reliable and even get trashed by other brands to increase their sales. I suspect that to be part of the cause of this "War on Leupolds" on this site.

There were darned few complaints about the Vari-X series Leupold scopes. The "War on Leupolds" didn't start until the launch and 3 subsequent "refinements" of the VX I/II/III, 1, 2, 3, Freedom, 3I, series turned out to be significantly mechanically inferior to the previous Vari-X series. Couple that with the 2 folks from Leupold who participated in Webinar that didn't leave attendees feeling confident and it's NOT a recipe for success.

I can walk on water.......................but I do stagger a bit on alcohol.
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by Castle_Rock
Originally Posted by drover
First off to clarify - I am not what could be called a Leupold fan boy although I think that they have a good product with great warranty.

Rather this is more a reality check - there seems to be a near constant Leupold bashing going on here so think about this. -

Leupold started selling rifle scopes in 1947 (73 years ago) so lets take the absurdly low number of scopes they sell each year as 10,000 which means that there are potentially 730,000 Leupold scopes floating around out there. Is it any wonder that there are reports of Leupold failures and slow repair times, which usually is about 3 weeks in most reports. Oh yes, unlike most other companys they do charge a return shipping fee of $20 or so.

They may some ocassional issues but overall their failure/repair record is pretty darned impressive.

drover

Stop pulling nonsense out of thin air, the simple fact is their recent scopes have a ridiculously high failure rate, much more so than the older series

Lemme guess...you're a Vortex guy?

Camp is where you make it.
E
efw Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
I bought a FX3 6x42mm here from a great guy thinking I could either have a target turret, CDS, or LRD installed through the custom shop.

Just got off the phone with them and the shop is restructuring and there is no word on what if any retrofit services they’ll offer, not sure when they’ll reopen, or what the pricing structure will be if they decide to do that work.

I’ve always gravitated toward their products for their customization.

DOE!

T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
Originally Posted by efw
I bought a FX3 6x42mm here from a great guy thinking I could either have a target turret, CDS, or LRD installed through the custom shop.

Just got off the phone with them and the shop is restructuring and there is no word on what if any retrofit services they’ll offer, not sure when they’ll reopen, or what the pricing structure will be if they decide to do that work.

I’ve always gravitated toward their products for their customization.

DOE!

The custom shop at Leupold had its genesis in the same time period in which we (myself and the "Old Guard") were lobbying hard toward avoiding "lesser" product lines. During one dinner conversation in Vegas (Safari Club convention if I remember right), I excused myself, went back to my room in a hurry and came back with Leupold's current brochure which featured at least one rifle from the Remington Custom Shop. The question was asked, "Why can't Leupold do this?" Those of us pushing the idea found an unexpected ally in Chuck Yeager, who started brainstorming about what HE would like to have done to a Leupold scope. He'd just had a Winchester Model 88 re-worked by an outfit in Roseburg, Oregon (had pictures just like a proud grandfather), and wanted equal attention to his sighting system on it.

The custom shop ramped up slowly from there. I'd hate to believe its going away.

"I have always disliked the words 'authority' and 'expert' when applied to those who write about guns, shooting,and hunting. I have never set myself up as either."
Jack O'Connor
G
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
G
I know this is an old thread now. I was researching problems with various scopes, and obviously Leupold had their share of complaints. Can anyone direct me to this podcast with Leupold staff that so many members here cite as being their final straw in using Leupold? I would be interested in hearing what was said. Thanks.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by gatekeeper
I know this is an old thread now. I was researching problems with various scopes, and obviously Leupold had their share of complaints. Can anyone direct me to this podcast with Leupold staff that so many members here cite as being their final straw in using Leupold? I would be interested in hearing what was said. Thanks.

I don't know if you'll be able to find it, but below are threads about it.

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbt...-with-a-special-24hourcampfire-exclusive

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/topics/13958935/leupold-livestream-details

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I missed this thread the first time around. It's interesting that this is the only place I hear condemnation of Leupold scopes but used ones seem to sell very well, even on this site!
I've been using them for 40years, I'm sure I've had over 30 of them, from the M8s to the VX3i. I did have one fail as many here have described, it was an older friction adjust model, it was repaired and I'm still using it. I've sent several to Leupold for custom work and for stiff power adjusters on variables(under warranty). It does seem to me that their internal communications are lacking a bit.
I'm very dissapointed with Leupold now and probably won't buy any more new ones, not because of failures but because I feel they've abandoned the target shooter market in favor the "tactical" market, I guess that's where the money is. That and the "temporary" closure of the custom shop a few years ago have put me off, I suspect they'll get by without me.

Page 5 of 23 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 22 23

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

409 members (1beaver_shooter, 204guy, 10gaugemag, 10gaugeman, 17CalFan, 160user, 55 invisible), 1,843 guests, and 1,182 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,217
Posts18,447,403
Members73,899
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.