Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
B
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
I've been thinking about getting into casting bullets but I don't know what I need. Any tips???

Seems we constantly hear about how Social Security is going to run out of money but we never hear about welfare or food stamps running out of money. What's interesting is the first group WORKED for their money but the other group didn't.
BP-B2

G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
First thing to do: Buy the Lyman Cast Bullet Handbook, and read it. Then read it again. Then ask about specifics, there are a bunch of good fellas here ready willing and able to help a newcomer- but it really helps to have a little common ground before discussing what works for us and should work for you. You'll need the book as you progress anyway.

Lots of equipment out there. The possibilities are mind boggling- from basic cheap no-frills stuff to sophisticated stuff. It will help in future to mention also what cartridges/guns you'll be casting for.

Welcome! I and my comrades stand ready to assist!

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
And after you have followed that sage advise, take the time to peruse this:

http://www.lasc.us/CastBulletNotes.htm

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Have faith, be diligent, the rewards are bountiful

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I began casting in 1973 with nothing but a Lyman 45th Edition Loading Manuel for instruction. No friends, no internet, nothing but that book. So, gnoahhh gives you great advice.

IC B2

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
Your reasons for getting into casting will determine much of your equipment choices. I shoot alot of 44 and 45 cal in single actions and levers and I'm a tighwad.
I would suggest first reading the books previously mentioned.
Keep it simple. My favorite method is a simple electric pot and ladle.
I like one or two cavity bullet molds. Lighter and easier to work with.
I use mostly wheelweights, relatively cheap, easy to find but you gotta sort thru them, lots of zinc and other unknown in there. I'm a scrounger, keep a bucket in the truck for weights I pickup in parking lots, told you I was a tightwad. Still slot of lead out there, just look for it.
Lots of safety precautions as I'm sure you know but I'll say fresh air, a faceshield and leather gloves and boots are more comfortable than burns.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Among other things, what is needed is simply a will to walk this path.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

I am..........disturbed.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
an open mind helps. read \ listen & try figger what work best for you

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Make up your mind to do it.

[Linked Image from oi66.photobucket.com]

H
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
H
Buy good equipment that makes you productive along with making quality you cant readily buy.

Dont buy cheap moulds you have to bang on for five minutes to drop bullets, a pot that drizzles and spews or sizing equipment that maximizes labor at the cost of output.

People that tell me they hate casting generally have gone the penny wise, pound foolish route.

I am commonly told "it takes too much time". It certainly does if you set yourself up that way...

IC B3

J
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
J
I started rather recently and enjoy it! It helps if you have a good source of lead. I would recommend going over to the Cast Boolit website...pretty much dedicated to casting. I learned a ton by just reading a lot.

......the occasional hunter wielding a hopelessly inaccurate rifle, living by the fantastical rule that this cartridge can deliver the goods, regardless of shot placement or rifle accuracy. The correct term for this is minute of ego.
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Cast Boolits is a good site for anyone interested in casting. You can learn a lot there. I have been on that site for 15 years.

NRA Endowment Member

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
632 members (10gaugemag, 160user, 10gaugeman, 12344mag, 10Glocks, 12308300, 56 invisible), 2,868 guests, and 1,205 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,740
Posts18,401,149
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.