Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
The Wienermobile

GB1

Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
Looks damn strange. Never seen anything like it!

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Originally Posted by butchlambert1
Originally Posted by GrandView
I don't believe that's a Gmund.

I believe it's a Porsche Type 64................the precursor to the 356. Note the "bubbled" narrow high roof, which is not a hallmark of the Gmund.

https://www.autoblog.com/photos/1939-porsche-type-64/#slide-1282753

I also think it may be a replica, as the rear treatment (venting and tail lights) is more reminiscent of a modern Beetle rather than an original Type 64.

I've had a few Beetles 1951s-1955s. Never seen a Beetle with the pictured tail lights. I also owned a rusted out 1951 356 that I scavenged parts for other projects. Other than the rounded lines, it has nothing like the type 64. Grandview, it could be a replica, but?

What prompts me to say this, Butch.......is that a couple makers in Europe are making Type 64's. Not cheap, because the more dedicated ones are hammer molding aluminum over wooden frames.........much as the originals were. No original Type 64 had tail lights like that either. However, many replica Porsche Speedsters are using taillights like that. I owned one. Not sure why they're used, as the originals had small round lights.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B

I believe it's a Porsche Type 64................the precursor to the 356. Note the "bubbled" narrow high roof, which is not a hallmark of the Gmund.

I also think it may be a replica, as the rear treatment (venting and tail lights) is more reminiscent of a modern Beetle rather than an original Type 64.

I've had a few Beetles 1951s-1955s. Never seen a Beetle with the pictured tail lights. I also owned a rusted out 1951 356 that I scavenged parts for other projects. Other than the rounded lines, it has nothing like the type 64. Grandview, it could be a replica, but?

What prompts me to say this, Butch.......is that a couple makers in Europe are making Type 64's. Not cheap, because the more dedicated ones are hammer molding aluminum over wooden frames.........much as the originals were. No original Type 64 had tail lights like that either. However, many replica Porsche Speedsters are using taillights like that. I owned one. Not sure why they're used, as the originals had small round lights.

Didn't know replicas were being made. In the 59-61 era , Porsche tried to get back into F1 racing. One of our shooters in Seymour, Texas was a former engineer for the F1 effort at that time. Johnny was a very kind old man. I visited his place in Wichita Falls, Texas. Johnny had a huge 2 story shop and machine shop. He had a tremendous amount of 4 cam 4 cylinder engines and engine accessories. When Johnny passed away, it all disappeared. So did his Ardun engine and the rest of the drive train with an old Halibrand rear end assm. He also had an extra set of Ardun heads.
I wish I knew the rest of the story.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Home built kit car of some kind---

IC B2

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S

Yep, its not original. Porsche built three total T64 60k10 cars. One was wrecked, another went to the factory for wind testing and the other I think ended up being given to a family member or Porsche exec.

“Some ideas are so stupid that only intellectuals believe them.”
― G. Orwell

"Why can't men kill big game with the same cartridges women and kids use?"
_Eileen Clarke

"Unjust authority confers no obligation of obedience."
- Alexander Hamilton

R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
Looks like it's aluminum.

We may know the time Ben Carson lied, but does anyone know the time Hillary Clinton told the truth?

Immersing oneself in progressive lieberalism is no different than bathing in the sewage of Hell.
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Type 64 Porsche.

$20 Million, no sh_t.

Imagine a corporate oligarchy so effective, so advanced and fine tuned that its citizens still call it a democracy.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by 5sdad
Originally Posted by 1911a1
Originally Posted by Capt_Craig
Darn, I was going to guess that Airstream and Porsche got together and had an illegitimate love child...

That what I was thinking Ha Ha.

Same here.

It was designed in 1938 by F. Porsche and Edwin Komenda and built in 1939. Looks ugly to us but without the aid of computers/wind tunnels, a lot of guess work went into the designs. And it ended up very slippery, considering.

Porsche came up with the Auto Union grand prix sixteen cylinder mid engine car that maxed at 180 mph. Would have been quite the rush to run on the Nurburging straights in an open cockpit, no roll bar screamer at 150-180 mph in the 1930's.

Last edited by SBTCO; 02/05/20.

“Some ideas are so stupid that only intellectuals believe them.”
― G. Orwell

"Why can't men kill big game with the same cartridges women and kids use?"
_Eileen Clarke

"Unjust authority confers no obligation of obedience."
- Alexander Hamilton

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

581 members (10gaugeman, 007FJ, 160user, 2500HD, 1beaver_shooter, 240NMC, 67 invisible), 2,337 guests, and 1,227 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,654
Posts18,455,554
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.