Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Is this an important consideration for an intermediate/greenhorn archer?

Tell me your views. Lots of conflicting info online.

BP-B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Not to be a jerk, but you need to evaluate it for yourself. Your bow, your arrows, your tune, your broadheads. And most importantly, your shooting form.

If you expect people to tell you, then you should just flip a coin. You're looking for shortcut, and it doesn't exist.

If you want advice how to start the evaluation process, then that is a different story.

R
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
R
Compound/Recurve? Mechanical/Fixed blade? Fingers/Release? Feathers/Vanes? Arrow rest?

J
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
J
Always helical with traditional gear. Did offset with compounds for years but recently switched to smaller 1.5" Blazer 4 fletch helical. I really like this combo - great arrow flight, no change in trajectory and broadheads/field points impact the same.

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
The reason I'm asking is I'm looking to perhaps fletch my own arrows and wondering if the extra expense of a fletching jig with helical capabilities would be a good investment.

If you expect people to tell you, then you should just flip a coin. You're looking for shortcut, and it doesn't exist

Not looking for a shortcut. Looking for advice. Thanks for nothing.

IC B2

U
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
U
Like JGray said, if you're shooting traditional, fletch with a helical twist. Right or left doesn't matter, neither does 3 or 4 fletch. I've shot nothing but traditional for more than 50 years, built custom longbows for 12 years and have shot nothing but wood arrows for as long as I've been shooting. Regardless of the arrow tip (field point, 2 blade, 3 blade or 4 blade), I've always shot helical fletching. The arrow just seems to fly better than with straight fletching or even off set fletching. Just my 2 cents, but again, it's based on over 50 years of experience. I started with a Bitzenberger single fletcher, then switched to a Jo-Jan Multifletcher about 30 years ago. I wish it was still made. If you can find a used one, get it. You won't be sorry.

Last edited by Utahunter; 02/06/20.
A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
Originally Posted by Morewood
The reason I'm asking is I'm looking to perhaps fletch my own arrows and wondering if the extra expense of a fletching jig with helical capabilities would be a good investment.

If you expect people to tell you, then you should just flip a coin. You're looking for shortcut, and it doesn't exist

Short answer - yes.

Several of the entry level fletching jigs come with straight and helical clamps - I'd get one with both.

Without knowing your set-up, it's a guess as if it is good - or bad, reality, you are probably going to experiment a bit with both.

I run a 1-2 degree twist in my hunting arrows with Slick Tricks.

They fly good with straight Blazers, but I've found that I like a little spin with the launch.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
I always thought the main advantage of 4-fletch was that the arrow was always oriented properly on the string. Never tried it myself. Logically, one could go with smaller vanes and still have the same total steering surface, I suppose. The spiral/straight/angled discussion has been going on as long as I can remember, which is pretty long. Not sure it matters much. Only fletching I've done is making Hillbilly flu-flus by adding a section of spiraled full-length feather to a few of the old aluminum arrows I have on hand; very effective, BTW. One of my sons is getting into traditional archery after years of compounding and is going to roll his own for that.

What fresh Hell is this?
J
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by Pappy348
I always thought the main advantage of 4-fletch was that the arrow was always oriented properly on the string. Never tried it myself. Logically, one could go with smaller vanes and still have the same total steering surface, I suppose...

Makes nocking an arrow possible without having to take your eye off your target (or if you're shooting in the dark smirk ). With traditional gear, I used to shoot 5 to 5-1/2" 3 fletch on wood shafts (and still do at times), but mostly shoot 3-1/2 to 4" 4 fletch now with wood and carbon and find it to be plenty of steering surface.

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
Wife got me a Bitzenburger at xmas. I put together some 4" 4-fletch, left offset.

Compared to the 3-fletch left offset I mostly shoot, the 4-fletch do seem to get spinning pretty fast.

I don't know how important it is for a green archer (I'm one), but more feathers in general help straighten out an arrow that is not in optimum tune. Helical probably even more so, but it may put extra drag on the arrow too. I don't know if it is enough to be a consideration.

I did some bareshaft tuning with different point weight before fletching. The arrows are Gold Tip Warrior 340 shafts at 32". 200gr point. 4-fletch. They do fly well from a 50# Slick Stick. I've probably got close to 60# on my fingers at my 31" draw.

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by JGray
I always thought the main advantage of 4-fletch was that the arrow was always oriented properly on the string. Never tried it myself. Logically, one could go with smaller vanes and still have the same total steering surface, I suppose...

Makes nocking an arrow possible without having to take your eye off your target (or if you're shooting in the dark smirk ). With traditional gear, I used to shoot 5 to 5-1/2" 3 fletch on wood shafts (and still do at times), but mostly shoot 3-1/2 to 4" 4 fletch now with wood and carbon and find it to be plenty of steering surface.

That's what I meant, though I might not have been clear about it. I like the idea, as index nocks can be a bit vague. My recurve shooting is strictly for fun these days, and the crossbow is kinda self-aligning.

What fresh Hell is this?
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
For the arrow rest I had on my compound I had to stick with three fletchings to avoid a vane hitting the arrow rest.
I also used a right helical. It seemed that if I didn't I had an issue with the broad head ferrule always loosening up in the shaft insert when I would shoot. I just kept them finger tight.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by JGray

That's what I meant, though I might not have been clear about it. I like the idea, as index nocks can be a bit vague. My recurve shooting is strictly for fun these days, and the crossbow is kinda self-aligning.

i always carried my arrows in the quiver with the nocks timed in the correct position, so that I never had to be concerned about how the nock would set on the string. Stringing an arrow should be as much of a practiced consistant movement as drawing or finding your anchoring point.
For me to even need to look at the shaft to make sure the nock is in the correct position I would have had to of dropped the arrow. Not saying I never visually confirmed the correct nock and vane position because I did, almost every time, but there have been times that any effort to consciously verify it could of very well cost me a shot on an animal.

K
krp Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
K
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

I use a blitz fletcher, 4 vanes, vertical offset, slight right helical.

Bareshaft tune at 30ish yards then set pins with fletched arrows, either your own fletched or bought, self fletching will not correct tune issues.

Kent

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by AH64guy
Originally Posted by Morewood

Short answer - yes.

Several of the entry level fletching jigs come with straight and helical clamps - I'd get one with both.

Without knowing your set-up, it's a guess as if it is good - or bad, reality, you are probably going to experiment a bit with both.

I run a 1-2 degree twist in my hunting arrows with Slick Tricks.

They fly good with straight Blazers, but I've found that I like a little spin with the launch.

Short answer - yes. Absolutely

Eat Fish, Wear Grundens, Drink Alaskan.
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Thank you all for your expert insights. I appreciate it. I'm looking forward to experimenting with different styles of fletching and y'all have given me some great advice.

krp - those are beautiful arrows. Nice work. Does the vertical offset improve aerodynamics? Guess it does or you wouldn't do it.

I look forward to hours of practice and experimentation. Hell, I'm retired I got time.

K
krp Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
K
They buck the wind significantly with a slick trick over a standard 3 fletch with helical, I shoot a mathews switchback @ 60lbs. My nephew who shoots a newer mathews at 70lbs and faster speeds experienced the same, that's at 60 and 70 yards in decent wind. That's all I can truthfully say about it.

Kent

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Offset fletchings theory is that it catches more air (wind) and in so spins your arrow faster. I would agree with this for the most part.

Spinning your arrow is what helps smooth things out in flight. There is a point where not enough is bad, but wait! We bare shaft???? Yes! Bare shaft shows you just how fine tuned you really are or are not! Because it doesn't have that optimal spin. Like a Top spin it fast and it is smooth, as the speed decreases it becomes wobbly.

So there is a point like most all things at which you get diminishing returns.

Is there a benefit to Offset fletching, maybe in some really weird set-ups, overall and for the majority of shooters I doubt it. In my opinion if it had merit for the masses we would see it being used predominantly in Field Archery for sure, along with Olympic Archery. But where it would make 100% sense and give results would be indoor were there is no wind.

Eat Fish, Wear Grundens, Drink Alaskan.
K
krp Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
K
Bareshaft at distance will tell you different things, first is visual on rest position, you can see the nock kick up, down, sideways, adjust rest to straight flight. Second is spine, if you can't get straight flight bareshaft your spine is wrong. If the spine isn't perfect but close you can get good flight with fletchings.

My buddy had a new string put on his bow at a shop, drew a bull elk tag last for sept. He shot it up to 30 yards in his back yard then took it back to re'paper tune. He brought it over and his 30yd groups were shakey, sometimes 4 inch and other times flyers, his 50yd were pretty bad, fairly new elite and arrows should have been close in spine. I really didn't look at his setup as he was certain the shop tuned it and that's the way it always shot. I told him to pick his worst fletched arrow and I bareshafted it. She shot at 30 and it was 4 ft left and sideways when it hit the dirt pile backstop... holy crap... give me that damn thing. The nock was 1/4 inch high, his pins were maxed out he couldn't get past a 50 pin. But it was paper tuned, noisy also. Somehow the fletching straightened it out enough to keep around the target. 10 shots and he was tuned. Reset pins, it was quiet and he was deadly at 70 yards... he said maybe that's why I haven't been able to kill a javalina the last couple years, thought they were just my nemesis, kept shooting and missing. Besides he killed a 270 bull he text me last month that he killed a javi, what a difference a tuned bow makes.

Anyway target vs broadhead shooting are two different things... bareshaft with a fieldpoint then bareshaft with a broadhead, I've done it, get the kids and women indoors because that sucker can go anywhere, a drastic difference between fieldtip and broadhead. That's what helical is for, 4 vanes and possibly an advantage of offset. If I was field or olympic shooting I wouldn't need anything but basic straight fletching.

Bareshaft tune adjusting rest for best flight, you have to be back aways to see the flight.
Shoot fletched fieldtips to set pins.
Practice with a broadhead.

Kent

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
If I shoot a recurve off the shelf I like four fletch. Feather as much helical as I can get

If I shoot off a rest I like 3 fletch....my favorite is the bristle brush rest.Feather as much helical as I can get.

Compounds with a biscuit I like three fletch plastic....not much helical.

Cross bow....plastic I try to keep em straight.

Last edited by Angus1895; 02/08/20.

"Shoot low sheriff, I think he's riding a shetland!" B. Wills

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
649 members (01Foreman400, 222ND, 160user, 1234, 1lessdog, 2500HD, 69 invisible), 2,796 guests, and 1,348 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,654
Posts18,399,211
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.