-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Kahuna
OP Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
He'd got himself nicely tangled up. The tarp was covering his eyes which helped him stay calm. IDFG officers got him untied without injuries...to them or the elk. I assume he's tranquilized.
I see it's wearing an ear tag. We should start requiring all rabid dogs in congress to wear them so we can identify and avoid them.

[Linked Image from bloximages.chicago2.vip.townnews.com]

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
GB1

J
Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
J
Fuggin elk.

More nuisance than game species most times.

I am MAGA.
Campfire Kahuna
OP Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
A few years back I sat and watched a herd of mule deer crossing a road and jumping a fence to get to a hay stack. The stack might have been 20 to 30 tons. They had destroyed it. There were maybe 100 deer there, many on top of the stack. Most of the bales were broken. They did a lot of damage. Elk are worse. I can't blame farmers for wanting them kept out.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
J
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
A few years back I sat and watched a herd of mule deer crossing a road and jumping a fence to get to a hay stack. The stack might have been 20 to 30 tons. They had destroyed it. There were maybe 100 deer there, many on top of the stack. Most of the bales were broken. They did a lot of damage. Elk are worse. I can't blame farmers for wanting them kept out.

Yep, I was chosen for a damage hunt a few years ago for mule deer. They were getting into people hay. I killed 2 off of one guys hay yards. He said they had already destroyed $3000 worth of hay.

The farmers and ranchers I have a problem with are the ones that complain about the elk, but won't let people hunt.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad
Fuggin elk.

we call 'em Land Maggots up here.

.... like tears in the rain
IC B2

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
At the rate the Idaho fish and game are arbitrarily shooting elk I’m amazed they let it live. Nice to see though.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Fuggin elk.

Speaking of nuisance and fish and game..........

Jim, do you know these Blaine County guys? https://youtu.be/-0QVhEdqyxI

"I'm enforcing Tribal law, I'm towing that F&G truck and taking your gun"....

J
Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
J
Originally Posted by JeffA
Fuggin elk.

Speaking of nuisance and fish and game..........

Jim, do you know these Blaine County guys? https://youtu.be/-0QVhEdqyxI

Oh yes. I went to school with the guy doing all the talking.

The deputy and I are acquaintances too.

That whole episode caused quite a stir a few years ago.

I am MAGA.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Comical in a sense, I'd liked to seen him try to take that F&G guys gun...lol.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Some farmers are often their own worst enemies when it comes to wildlife depredation. Placing haystacks away from the farm site. Not fencing the haystack. Piling grain on the ground. Allowing grain to spill out of the granary. Not allowing hunting etc.

Alberta had a program where farmers would be given game fencing to keep the ungulates out of the hay. I know I loaded many dozens of rolls of 8ft page wire..

Program wasn't really successful. Sometimes the wire wasn't installed. Or it was, but all the hay wasn't used. So rather than move it out, they stacked new hay in front. Within a year or two, they had no space in the hay corral, so now they stacked outside. Of course hay was eaten and destroyed.

You can't make some people look after themselves, they want the government to take care of them.

"Alberta Fish and Wildlife". "Yeah, this is Zeke Bindertwine. The dam elk are eating my stacked hay again." "Uh, Zeke, how can that be, we dropped off 100 rolls of game fencing and the requisite t-bar posts to surround your hay." "Yeah, you did, but I haven't gotten around to installing the fencing. " "Zeke, we dropped off the fencing two years ago." "Yeah, you did, but I ain't had the time to put it up." "Zeke, you know the policy and procedures. We can't compensate you unless you have protected your hay." "I don't care about policies, I want something done now!"

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter

Originally Posted by AB2506

"Alberta Fish and Wildlife". "Yeah, this is Zeke Bindertwine. The dam elk are eating my stacked hay again." "Uh, Zeke, how can that be, we dropped off 100 rolls of game fencing and the requisite t-bar posts to surround your hay." "Yeah, you did, but I haven't gotten around to installing the fencing. " "Zeke, we dropped off the fencing two years ago." "Yeah, you did, but I ain't had the time to put it up." "Zeke, you know the policy and procedures. We can't compensate you unless you have protected your hay." "I don't care about policies, I want something done now!"

Zeke: "I ain't installing no fence, cuz I know the elk will just jump right over it."

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Springcove
At the rate the Idaho fish and game are arbitrarily shooting elk I’m amazed they let it live. Nice to see though.

+1 - There are other answers to the problem. But now the landowners are using depredation as a regular source of income.

A true sportsman counts his achievements in proportion to the effort involved and fairness of the sport. - S. Pope
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T

yea......they aren't very smart at times.........

unless you have a tag in your pocket mid September.........

https://www.ksl.com/article/46713814/dwr-rescues-elk-caught-in-park-city-window-well

T R U M P W O N !

U L T R A M A G A !

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Fuggin elk.

They can be.
I cut one out of my fence last week. I think she's still alive out there somewhere....

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by MuskegMan

Originally Posted by AB2506

Zeke: "I ain't installing no fence, cuz I know the elk will just jump right over it."

I guess reading comprehension is not a strong suit. The post mentioned game fencing and that the wire fencing was 8ft page wire. If properly installed and maintained, elk cannot jump that fence.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

616 members (01Foreman400, 160user, 2500HD, 204guy, 257 roberts, 257Bob, 57 invisible), 2,386 guests, and 1,191 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,637
Posts18,455,298
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.