Page 1 of 2 1 2
O
ol_mike Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
O
Trying to learn from folks who have handled a lot of different skinning knives

As title says which blade length , blade shape and grind do you like and why if'n you feel like explaining it .

I'm a rookie with knives , skinned my share of deer/pigs and furbearers - trying to find a better knife than the cheap kershaw/winchester/eye brand i now have .

Been cruising the Classifieds but don't know exactly what i want - thanks for any opinions .

PRESIDENT TRUMP 2024/2028 !!!!!!!!!!

Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
BP-B2

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Skinner in my Howe combo here is the best design I’ve used, think he calls it the Wyoming skinner? This set is elmax. Carry it everywhere.
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Ping pong balls for the win.
Once you've wrestled everything else in life is easy. Dan Gable
I keep my circle small, I’d rather have 4 quarters than 100 pennies.

Ain’t easy havin pals.
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
I've two that I really like for skinning (mainly deer).

The first is Mr. Ingram's #1 Semi-skinner. It's a shorter blade, not a huge sweep to it, fairly subtle. It works well for the way I skin. For deer I think it's the perfect skinning pattern.

The second is Mr. May's Slitter. It's a little bigger than the previous I mentioned with a fair but not overly large belly/sweep on the blade to skin and a finer point so it can be used as an all around knife. The fine point will occasionally "stick" if I'm skinning in a hurry.

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Originally Posted by ol_mike
Trying to learn from folks who have handled a lot of different skinning knives

As title says which blade length , blade shape and grind do you like and why if'n you feel like explaining it .

I'm a rookie with knives , skinned my share of deer/pigs and furbearers - trying to find a better knife than the cheap kershaw/winchester/eye brand i now have .

Been cruising the Classifieds but don't know exactly what i want - thanks for any opinions .

I do not use and do not like a classic shaped skinner. I like small drop point knives that slice well. I guess the shape I prefer that' easy to find a picture of is the Knives of Alaska Jaeger.

I always gut my deer. When I am done gutting, Bambis is unzipped from the anus to the chin. After that I will unzip the legs on the front edge up to the main stem to stern cut. With a deer that is not frozen,I do not do much if any cutting. I might use the back side of the tip to separate a little tough membrane. I use the small pointy tip to get into the joints to separate the cruciates, and I cut the tendons that span the joints on the sides and the achilles tendon, but that can be done with anything sharp.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I used this one last season and have to say its works great. Its from David Winston, his model #92, just the right size IMHO. And I'll 2nd the Ingram #1 semi-skinner as a nice one, I've not used mine but can see how it would work well.

Model 92 Winston:
[Linked Image from pic20.picturetrail.com]
[Linked Image from pic20.picturetrail.com]

Last edited by Oregonmuley; 02/07/20.

"Rather hunt Mule deer than anything else"
"Team 7MM-08"
IC B2

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
A little Vicky does nice things for me...

Public landowner...
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Where ya get those sheaths cinch?

Ain’t easy havin pals.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Judman

+1, waiting...

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by MOGC
Originally Posted by Judman

+1, waiting...

Don't you guys know he has all the best toys wink And he gets to live in Wyoming- lucky

"Rather hunt Mule deer than anything else"
"Team 7MM-08"
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
For skinning I prefer a semi skinner from around 2-1/2" to 3-1/2". As above I like them paired with a hunter, B&T, caper or boner as the situation warrants. Here are a few, all part of combos of from two to six knives:

[Linked Image]

Last edited by Journeyman; 02/07/20.

You can no more tell someone how to do something you've never done, than you can come back from somewhere you've never been...
IC B3

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Another good dedicated skinner...

Ain’t easy havin pals.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Didn't think i had a pic of this one, but found one. Knife on the left from Dozier easily one of the best skinners I've ever owned:

[Linked Image]

You can no more tell someone how to do something you've never done, than you can come back from somewhere you've never been...
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Hard to beat a 3 1/2" to 4" drop or semi drop point for skinning and field dressing.

Just my opinion. Not necessarily 100% fact.

"The significant problems we face cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them."
Albert Einstein

At Khe Sanh a sign read "For those who fight for it, life has a flavor the protected never knew".
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Knives i have made I’ll ask for ~3 1/4 - 3 3/8 range. That works for me. Drop points.

Those millers I posted are closer to three inch. Featherlight and work really well.

+1 on OregonMuleys comments on the Winston #92. I got a couple. My favorite knife to use.

Close second would his #45 model.

Dave

�The man who complains about the way the ball bounces is likely to be the one who dropped it.� Lou Holtz

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
I prefer a true skinner that way I can get the job done fast. I don't need a point on my skinner, and like JCMCUBIC said The fine point will occasionally "stick" if I'm skinning in a hurry.

Top knife in picture is a skinning machine!

Eat Fish, Wear Grundens, Drink Alaskan.
O
ol_mike Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
O
Been looking at all these and more - thanks for the opinions .
The knife world is a huge place .

MontanaCreekHunter ,

I can't quite make out the maker of the skinner - who is it ?

PRESIDENT TRUMP 2024/2028 !!!!!!!!!!

Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Kilby knives, i believe.

Mike,

Join Instagram.

It’ll get 10x bigger.

Dave

�The man who complains about the way the ball bounces is likely to be the one who dropped it.� Lou Holtz

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
This has the potential to be a really good thread. Lots of disparate replies by I assume experienced users.
How do we without rancor move to the next level where we can weight the experience of the respondents???

G
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
G
Originally Posted by Journeyman
This has the potential to be a really good thread. Lots of disparate replies by I assume experienced users.
How do we without rancor move to the next level where we can weight the experience of the respondents???

Beat's me!

[Linked Image from i38.photobucket.com]

A Kill Artist. When I draw, I draw blood.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Really depends on what I am skinning. I do a bit of trapping and smaller critters demand smaller blades. Thin skinned critters are also skinned a lot "safer" with a slightly duller blade, less of a chance of putting a hole in the hide.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
214 members (2UP, 257 mag, 12344mag, 300jimmy, 10Glocks, 300_savage, 22 invisible), 1,555 guests, and 885 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,592
Posts18,397,917
Members73,815
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.