Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Ok so I’m trying some loads I use in my other creeds and they’re too long for the mag box. I’ve had to shove my 143 eld-x down to 2.6” just to get them in. I WANT this rifle but it’s not giving me much to work with so far. I’m going to do my best but this has been a rocky start.

GB1

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
2.6”? So it has a shorter box than even a 700?

John

If my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and I will forgive their sin and will heal their land. 2 Chronicles 7:14
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I’ve measured the mag box on the first one we got in. 2.865”.

I enjoy handguns and I really like shotguns,...but I love rifles!
L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
I’ll take mine apart tomorrow and measure everything. I started scratching my head thinking what in the world is going on? How’s it not at least 2.800”? I found it odd too but had to give up for the evening for family time!

Last edited by longshot3631; 06/18/19.
L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
So I measured the box, 2.844”. Going to try other loads again. Maybe operator error. Mine is a hunting rig so feeding is essential.

So I loaded some at 2.800” fed fine, fit in mag fine so OBVIOUSLY I wasn’t thinking clearly last night. Sorry Proof Research. Got my new Talleys in. They’re for a Nesika action, in case anyone wants to know. Mounted VX3 3.5x10 and is still very slightly muzzle heavy so if you like that like most of you have said then that’ll be a plus for you! Hope to head to the range soon!!! Load H4350 and 143 eldx first so should be a good recipe.

Last edited by longshot3631; 06/19/19.
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I handled one at Scheels in Billings the other day.

Loved the stock but hated the 24" bbl.

22" would be awesome imho.

Longshot, I went leupold extended DD front with standard DD front in the rear on my origin and it worked out perfect FWIW.

Screw you! I'm voting for Trump again!

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the 24HCF.
L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Range report is so good that I’ve just posted my Mel Forbes conversion on Gunbroker. All loads were .5” to 1.0” with just the few I had loaded. I used a Lead Sled but also shot off hand and it balanced well. Ate the ELDX like butter. It did however get outshot by my 6.5x55 Fieldcraft and 130 Accubonds! Just saying, Barrett is a sweet A$* Rig!

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Question for you guys with the elevation rifles. I’m wanting to use talley one piece base/rings on the rifle I ordered. Will Nesika Bay rings work? I was told by origin it uses two front style Remington talleys but was wondering if they’re 8-40 screws?

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Not specifically regarding the Elevation, but more toward the Bighorn Origin action that it's built on.

IMHO, the Origin is a fine action, barring one thing. The ejection/loading port is too small. I have a custom built on an Origin action, using BDL hinged bottom metal. Loading the rifle is, well let's just say, a challenge. First round in the magazine is fine. Subsequent rounds not so, and you may (I do) find yourself cussing a blue streak. I got so fed up (no pun intended) with the Origin/BDL bottom metal configuration that I had my stock re-inletted for M5 DBM and now use AICS mags. No loading or feeding issues - none.

FWIW, I suspect the TL3 and SR3 have 'smallish' loading/ejection ports. For that reason I'm gonna shy away from Bighorn actions in the future and more than likely use Defiance. One of the Proof rifles, can't recall which, uses the Defiance Deviant Hunter action which again, IMHO, is much more conducive to loading from the top. As always, YMMV.

I never thought I'd grow up to be a grumpy old man, but I did, and I'm killin' it.
O
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
O
This may be pure ignorance on my end, but say a rifle has a 1-MOA guarantee and weighs 5lbs 14oz and costs $3k, and another rifle weighs 6lbs 4oz and also has a 1-MOA guarantee and costs $750. Other than a diet of 6oz, what does that extra $2250 get me (assuming equal accuracy)? Especially in a hunting rifle.

I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery - Thomas Jefferson
IC B3

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
If you have a good gun smith and use a 700 action and a good custom barrel and have the action blue printed and bed it good into a good B&C stock you can have a super accurate rifle for a lot less than that.

What goes up must come down, what goes around comes around, there's no free lunch. Trump's comin' back, get over it!
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by WiFowler
Not specifically regarding the Elevation, but more toward the Bighorn Origin action that it's built on.

IMHO, the Origin is a fine action, barring one thing. The ejection/loading port is too small. I have a custom built on an Origin action, using BDL hinged bottom metal. Loading the rifle is, well let's just say, a challenge. First round in the magazine is fine. Subsequent rounds not so, and you may (I do) find yourself cussing a blue streak. I got so fed up (no pun intended) with the Origin/BDL bottom metal configuration that I had my stock re-inletted for M5 DBM and now use AICS mags. No loading or feeding issues - none.

FWIW, I suspect the TL3 and SR3 have 'smallish' loading/ejection ports. For that reason I'm gonna shy away from Bighorn actions in the future and more than likely use Defiance. One of the Proof rifles, can't recall which, uses the Defiance Deviant Hunter action which again, IMHO, is much more conducive to loading from the top. As always, YMMV.

Did you have a pic rail on or Talleys? Or is it purely the ejection port making it difficult to load?

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by OrangeDiablo
This may be pure ignorance on my end, but say a rifle has a 1-MOA guarantee and weighs 5lbs 14oz and costs $3k, and another rifle weighs 6lbs 4oz and also has a 1-MOA guarantee and costs $750. Other than a diet of 6oz, what does that extra $2250 get me (assuming equal accuracy)? Especially in a hunting rifle.

Nothing really. A tikka would shoot just as well and cost a lot less. Kinda like why buy a king ranch when you could do the same with an xlt? I don’t know the answer to that....but I do like my king ranch.

Last edited by dakotakidd; 02/07/20.
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

594 members (12344mag, 1234, 10ring1, 10gaugemag, 10gaugeman, 16penny, 52 invisible), 2,332 guests, and 1,192 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,616
Posts18,454,956
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.