Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
CEoW717 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I came across a Winslow Arms action in what appears to be H&H magnum. I think this would be a cool build but pictured is literally all I have. I’m looking for everything else. Thanks boys.

Attached Images
GB1

T
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
It looks like a M70 Winchester. I’ve never seen a Winslow rifle built on anything but an FN Mauser. I’d bet that is a Winchester that they scrubbed the marking from and rebranded. Hopefully that’s the case since that would greatly simplify your parts search.

CEoW717 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by TheKid
It looks like a M70 Winchester. I’ve never seen a Winslow rifle built on anything but an FN Mauser. I’d bet that is a Winchester that they scrubbed the marking from and rebranded. Hopefully that’s the case since that would greatly simplify your parts search.

It’s hard to tell in the pictures but it has a Winslow serial number. WA30007

T
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
Strange. Looks identical to a push feed M70. I wonder if Winchester may have made some for Winslow on contract. Maybe a stretch but they made M70s branded for Sears and Wards so who knows.

G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
My first thought when I saw it too. Neat.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
IC B2

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Winslow Arms is based in Camden, SC which is a little more than 30 miles east of Columbia, the capital city.

It has been a few years since I stopped by their shop.

I don’t know if they are still in business but they have always been very helpful when I’ve visited their shop or called.

Try calling them.

SCI Life Member
DAV Life Member
NRA Life Member
North American Hunt Club Life Member

Your true character shows in your conduct

You cannot solve a problem at the same level of awareness that created it - Einstein
CEoW717 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by BlackHunter
Winslow Arms is based in Camden, SC which is a little more than 30 miles east of Columbia, the capital city.

It has been a few years since I stopped by their shop.

I don’t know if they are still in business but they have always been very helpful when I’ve visited their shop or called.

Try calling them.

Thanks for the heads up!

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
There is no more Winslow Arms, it's been closed for a few years. The actions were from Winchester and push feed, there were some commercial Mauser but more Winchesters than Mausers, at least when I worked for them. The shop foreman was Al Albritton and the owner was Frank Martin.
Martin was a commercial airline pilot, he bought the company and moved it from FL to Camden, SC.. Al was with the company in FL. Al may have had some money in it , I am not sure, I know when Frank got out Al still had the business and moved it to a smaller building in Camden.
I was there for a while in 1977, and all the actions we built on were push feed Winchesters. There were mausers on site but I never did anything with one.I designed a classic stock that took the finer points of the ruger 77( Len Brownell) and Phil Plinkingtons classic stock and came up with a pattern for the pantograph.The Winslows were a Cali style stock, plough share pistol grip, forearm like a Harry Lawson, rollover monte carlo cheekpiece.
We had a guy running the 4 spindle pantograph, Al did the inlays and checkering, there was one other guy in the shop, I think he came from FL.
They had a lot of wood, a little walnut, great deal of screwbean mesquite, regular mesquite and varieties of maple.Coco bolo, ebony, and purple heart for inlays, grip cap and forend caps.
I didn't stay but about 4-5 months , I was driving 110 miles round trip to work there and I had on offer from another shop and moved on. I think they moved about 6 months after that.
They had 500 to 700 wood blanks on hand and I know 100-150 Douglas #1 taper bbl. The different grades of guns were determined by the ivory inlays and the decoration such as stock carving. The inlays were done by Al ,and the carving was done by a guy in FL.
I hope this has been helpful.

CO School of Trades, Gunsmithing, '76
Clemson University '74
Go Tigers

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

544 members (01Foreman400, 12344mag, 007FJ, 10gaugemag, 1lessdog, 1234, 61 invisible), 2,382 guests, and 1,217 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,661
Posts18,455,712
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.