Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#14548918 02/07/20
M
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
M
More to come, maybe. Postimages.org is suckling ballz right now. Always short on time.

I am not affiliated with nor represent any of the companies or equipment shown. My friend Dick is from Texas and he sent me these, wink wink. Can't tell you or I would have to .... you. He's been on the Slope for 6 weeks, worked 13 and 14 hour shifts each day or night and is getting rather edgy.... He's taking a few days off in Anchorage next week....

Trippy Aurora
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
First time I saw the sun itself in 5 weeks.
Work nights so.....
Harvesting ice chips from a lake.

"I can't be canceled, because, I don't give a fuuck!"
--- Kid Rock 2022

Holocaust Deniers, the ultimate perverted dipchits: Bristoe, TheRealHawkeye, stophel, Ghostinthemachine, anyone else?
BP-B2

J
Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
J
You crazy sumbitch!

Nice pics.

I am MAGA.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Cool (literally) pix....... Especially the northern lights. On the south shore of Lake Ontario we only get some see them maybe 2 or 3 times a year and they're nowhere near as good a show as in the far north. Always wanted to catch a real good Aurora show after growing up listening to my dad talk about how fantastic they were when viewed from the middle of the North Atlantic when he was on convoy duty in WWII.

M
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
M

Working on a project building a series of ice roads into virgin terrain... The road is at least 35' wide and will support at least a 1.6 million pound oil rig. Going over terrain that'd call for a big dozer but we're building it totally atop the surface using snow, ice chips and water which is damned soon ice. Creek crossing? No problem, build an ice bridge... Not level, ice wedge. Over a pressure ridge, ice ramp. Slowly but surely we're getting out there. Tough somebitchin place. Really tests the equipment. Frontend loaders, water trucks, dump trucks and finally a grader... Tbc.

Dick has been on nights for a month and, well, for pictures, it's this... Surprised by the frequency. A couple of nights this stuff was horizon to horizon. Pics make it look brighter than actual, but, it's rather spectacular as it is a fluid moving light show. Seen some purple red yellow too. Not perfectly clear that much here... Fog and blowing snow plus our exhaust and water vapor from the spread... Some of my favorites.

Thirty years ago it was a lot harder to photograph this. Now, night mode on the phone.

--- Kid Rock 2022

Holocaust Deniers, the ultimate perverted dipchits: Bristoe, TheRealHawkeye, stophel, Ghostinthemachine, anyone else?
M
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
M

A nearby area. Easy going.

Our, I mean Dick's whole operation was moved out over a series of weeks on big tundra ATVs called Rollagons. That way we could reach further sooner than just running out from "town". In a couple of weeks we will be connecting to the world and 1000s will come here and similar places on the Slope.... A cell tower was just erected at our pad. Pad, Gravel pads or ice pads, ours is ice, about 6?acres. We're building a few runways so crews can be flown in and out! Big chitting money. A company I am not affiliated with is dumping billions on this winter's projects.

--- Kid Rock 2022

IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
I saw nothing, heard nothing, and didn't know ANYONE was working up there.

Stay safe.

Geno

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Dick has a keen eye. A Dick from TX, huh?

Campfire Oracle
Online Happy
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by Whttail_in_MT
Dick has a keen eye. A Dick from TX, huh?

What are the odds? Anyone we know?

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Very interesting Dick, keep it coming
Does it need to be rebuilt every year or is it permanent?

M
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by Castle_Rock
Very interesting Dick, keep it coming

It goes away in the summer. Bunch of these are regularly built each year. Dick's current project is a one shot deal, followed by, could be massive development.... Can't predict, but, don't rush out and buy that electric car just yet, Dick's heard we'll not need them.

--- Kid Rock 2022

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
That's for real north right thar, awesome Boomer thanks for taking us along cool
So when does it usually melt too much and kick you guys out of there?

M
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by Salty303
That's for real north right thar, awesome Boomer thanks for taking us along cool
So when does it usually melt too much and kick you guys out of there?

Don't know. Building is to continue into April. Amazing the amount of stuff out past the end of the Gravel roads.

Here's the current situation. Sit and check equipment. Cold shutdown. Negatory 47 now. Of course we park downwind and suck exhaust.... Majority of the crew would rather be working. I will sit but rather sleep some extra.

--- Kid Rock 2022

M
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
M
It gets worse, no hot bunking and the roomy is on opposite shift so we don't have see each other..
Cell service is a blessing.

Modular camps. Seen four story.... Some are damned nice, some horrendous. We're now in a two story camp built from about 30 units that is OKish.

This one is a two piece self contained 12 man remote camp. Two Rollagons and bam, home sweet home.
[url=https://postimg.cc/BPQ6TWpb][Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

--- Kid Rock 2022

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Carl,

Have you seen my grinders working yet?

I'd rather die in a BAD gunfight than a GOOD nursing home.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Ice ice baby, too cold, too cold.

M
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by Remington6MM
Carl,

Have you seen my grinders working yet?

Hey buddy! Well. There are a few I've seen. One called the Dinosaur!

He's referring to the machines that grind or chip layers of lake ice that we haul out to build road with. Rigged onto front end loaders. Some are forward operating and some backward. They'll tear up a section, row by row, then pile it up and load it with frontend loaders. About 3-4 ft of ice on the small lakes here. Just travel and grind on the grounded sections. Sometimes we'll hit a sandbar or some grass or dirt that sucked up into the ice and this dirty chips are only used in the base. Any dark material in the road surface will heat up and cause meltouts in the spring.

I'll sneak out and grab a shot of the business end of one, when I get damned bored and need to stretch.

--- Kid Rock 2022

M
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by Whttail_in_MT
Ice ice baby, too cold, too cold.

When they're talking, "when it warms up to minus 40, we'll go to work.," you know you're f'd.

--- Kid Rock 2022

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Mine is the front-mounted unit.

I'd rather die in a BAD gunfight than a GOOD nursing home.
M
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Here's the Dinosaur. Front mounted but run in reverse. A pain in the neck but makes perfect chips.

--- Kid Rock 2022

J
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
J
Originally Posted by Castle_Rock
Very interesting Dick, keep it UP.

THATS BETTER.

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the left.

A Nation which leaves God behind is soon left behind.

"The Lord never asked anyone to be a tax collector, lowyer, or Redskins fan".

I Dindo Nuffin
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
665 members (1lessdog, 2500HD, 257 mag, 17CalFan, 22magnut, 10gaugemag, 73 invisible), 2,729 guests, and 1,291 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,647
Posts18,399,078
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.