Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Originally Posted by DakotaDeer
I'm not really understanding here. Doesn't everyone work a pump about like that? That just looks normal to me. And no, I'm not kidding nor trying to be pompous. It just seems like anyone who has shot a lot of doves or ducks with a pump runs it that quick.

Pretty much agree. The shooter demonstrates good technique but it is nothing thousands of pump gun users do not show on ranges and fields all over every year. I suspect the overwhelming majority on this site can operate a pump gun at least as well as shown in the video.

GB1

B
battue Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
B
With some practice both of you are correct. However, I've seen some decent shotgun shooters pick up a pump and look much like the monkey and the football.

As far as thousands on the fields, I frequent more than a few fields with more than a few participants. Coming across a pump gun shooter, outside of the few dedicated side pump gun events, which few participate in, is rare. Very rare. That would also include those that only go there for fun and not competition.

To the overwhelming majority on this site a pump gun is a foreign object. They can learn to use one well, but most never will obtain his level of use.

In addition: He can't shoot a pump gun in Fitasc events. Not allowed. Stupid rule, made by other countries who make the Fitasc rules, but it is the existing rule.

Last edited by battue; 02/09/20.

laissez les bons temps rouler
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by battue
With some practice both of you are correct. However, I've seen some decent shotgun shooters pick up a pump and look much like the monkey and the football.

As far as thousands on the fields, I frequent more than a few fields with more than a few participants. Coming across a pump gun shooter, outside of the few dedicated side pump gun events, which few participate in, is rare. Very rare. That would also include those that only go there for fun and not competition.

To the overwhelming majority on this site a pump gun is a foreign object. They can learn to use one well, but most never will obtain his level of use.

They only see the pump Battue, you and I and maybe a few others see the whole mechanics. The hold point, the swing, the break point, and pump, Then the dismount and acquiring the target on report and following through the shot. I think a lot of people THINK or want to BELIEVE they are that smooth, when in reality they are not. If they were there would be a lot more Mayers around. If I am not mistaken he has won more state championships than any other and Ohio isn't lacking in the talent department.

Eat Fish, Wear Grundens, Drink Alaskan.
B
battue Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
B
I was just about to add the skill factor. Most here with dedicated practice, commitment and a considerable out pouring of dollars could be as good. However, 99.999% would be doing it with an O/U or SA. His accomplishment and doing it with a pump adds another level of commitment.

Look hard and find the clays in the air. Those targets were not easy. Some had speed, transition, high to low and some were not in your face. As you said, I doubt if most picked up on the fine points. The good shooters always make it look easy.😀

Dan dethroned Bill.

Joe Zeitler here in Pa has won 7.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
I was just about to add the skill factor. Most here with dedicated practice, commitment and a considerable out pouring of dollars could be as good. However, 99.999% would be doing it with an O/U or SA. His accomplishment and doing it with a pump adds another level of commitment.

Look hard and find the clays in the air. Those targets were not easy. Some had speed, transition, high to low and some were not in your face. As you said, I doubt if most picked up on the fine points. The good shooters always make it look easy.😀

Dan dethroned Bill.

Joe Zeitler here in Pa has won 7.

I thought Bill had 8?

Eat Fish, Wear Grundens, Drink Alaskan.
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I saw Herb Parsons perform twice in my youth and I haven't seen anything to compare yet.
Herb throws seven clays by hand and shoots each individually with a M12.

He did the shooting for Jimmy Stewart in Winchester 73 by shooting targets in the air with a
M71 348.

Shooting his ejected cartridge from a pump gun was common with him.

He would throw washers up and shoot through the hole with a 22.

Some are available on youtube

B
battue Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
B
MCH: Not sure how many for Bill, but a bunch.

Vern: I’ve watched the Parsons videos and posted one on here a couple times. His 7 clays in the air record had been broken, but I think with a Winchester SA.

Correct on the washers also.

I have friends, one his Son, who watched Rudy Etchen shoot 5 Ducks with an 870 plugged for 3. However, he had extras between the fingers of his left hand that he fed into the port smoothly without missing a beat.
Said it sounded like he had 5 in the tube.

Last edited by battue; 02/10/20.

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W

In addition: He can't shoot a pump gun in Fitasc events. Not allowed. Stupid rule, made by other countries who make the Fitasc rules, but it is the existing rule.

You really need to get out more to "social" or "league" sporting clays, skeet, and even trap events where the more typical non-registered shooters are. The presence of pump guns are indeed rare in registered competition but at the local league level they make up a large percentage of shooters. At least they do throughout the central part of the nation and many other parts I've been to.

And when one adds in the number of shooters who learned to shoot on game in the field, the number of people who can properly use a pump gun goes up higher. Pumps are very common for hunting and even the poor shots can get off rounds rather quickly.

That someone is a good shooter does not automatically make them proficient in all the tools used. I've also seen very experienced shooters be given an action type they weren't familiar with for the first time and make absolute fools of themselves. Give that person a few pointers on the proper operation of the tool and some time to familiarize themselves with it and they won't look the fool.

I noticed the overall shooting too but the video caption and further discussion appeared to reference the operation of the pump gun rather than the ability of the shooter to read and break the target hence I tried to not derail the thread.

B
battue Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
B
Different locations, different worlds. However, I get out to most of the various different events, social and serious, sporting, trap, skeet, etc and know fairly well what goes on around here.

Disagree, in that I've watch highly experienced shooters pick up a different action and have yet to see one make a fool of themself. Watched Kruger once pick up a light Beretta 303, he shot a heavy Krieghoff, and immediately start breaking a stiff LtoR 50 yard crosser. However, have watched people like myself pick up the same type and fall on their azzzz, and quickly when it was different than what they are used to. Most assuredly different levels of experience.

We all have our experiences and none of them are necessarily right or wrong. Just different

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by woodmaster81
Originally Posted by DakotaDeer
I'm not really understanding here. Doesn't everyone work a pump about like that? That just looks normal to me. And no, I'm not kidding nor trying to be pompous. It just seems like anyone who has shot a lot of doves or ducks with a pump runs it that quick.

Pretty much agree. The shooter demonstrates good technique but it is nothing thousands of pump gun users do not show on ranges and fields all over every year. I suspect the overwhelming majority on this site can operate a pump gun at least as well as shown in the video.

Not bragging but I'm sure I shot faster than that a few times rabbit hunting today on some narrow shooting lanes. And hit the rabbit. When a rabbit crosses a 10 ft. wide lane he don't give no notice and he's moving pretty fast.

IC B3

B
battue Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
B
Just for clarification. A Rabbit crossed a 10foot wide window on a full run and you killed him with the second shot inside that window?

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

Just for clarification. A Rabbit crossed a 10foot wide window on a full run and you killed him with the second shot inside that window?

Sure did , been doing it for years. I did a lot of missing for years but with practice I've gotten pretty good, I kill most of the rabbits any given day. We had a young fellow that shot most of a box of shells today and collected a little bit of fur on one but no rabbit. Rabbit hunting with beagles is a tradition down here in Louisiana and starts right after deer season.

B
battue Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
B
Great shooting.

We hunt them with Beagles up here also. Couple acquaintances hunt them until they each kill 100.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Great shooting.

We hunt them with Beagles up here also. Couple acquaintances hunt them until they each kill 100.

Places to hunt for us are getting shorter every few years though , deer leases are becoming dog unfriendly even after the deer season more and more.

K
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
K
Back in the sixties, I shot a lot of skeet, and used a set of Model 12 skeet guns and a model 42 410. Many of the shooters who shot pumps a lot were very, very fast. The man in the video is fast but, back then, would not have been considered exceptional. Many of the live pigeon shooters who shot 30 yards rise (2 shots) with pumps were lightning fast as well.

B
battue Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
B
Happy BDay MCH. Good month to start out!!!! wink

B
battue Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
B
Yes, things were much different on the shotgun fields 50+ years ago. 🤔

Federal and Winchester Papers were also the big thang....You don't see them much anymore either....

Last edited by battue; 02/10/20.

K
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
K
LOL Yes, gas operated shotguns were beginning to be seen.The old long recoil auto shotguns were seldom seen, because we had to wait for them to cycle.

P
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
P
That guy is pretty darn fast. I grew up shooting a Model 12 win, and later moved to an 870. I used to shoot skeet with the 870. I would get some looks from the guys shooting $10,000 Kreigoffs. I can tell you, if you shoot alot it is not that hard. I can still run one faster than most would believe. Not uncommon to shoot 3 to 4 times at grouse. If you hunt grouse you know that generally thats about all you get. The load your using makes a pretty big difference in your recovery speed.

B
battue Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
B
Ruffed Grouse?

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

598 members (17CalFan, 10gaugeman, 12344mag, 10ring1, 1337Fungi, 1941USMC, 53 invisible), 2,607 guests, and 1,115 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,312
Posts18,468,241
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.