Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
I took the flu shot last year for the first time in 22 years. I didn't take it this year. 22 years ago I got the flu shot because the Marine Corps made me and six hours later I was flat on my back and stayed that way for a week. So far I've got sicker from the shot than I have from not having it.

BP-B2

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by fgold767
............. No side effects to either. ...........When I got the cancer diagnosis in September, one of the first questions was if I had had the flu/pneumonia shots, Yep,........
That sounds like a terrible possible side effect.

Patriotism (and religion) is the last refuge of a scoundrel.

Jesus: "Take heed that no man deceive you."
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by ironbender
Originally Posted by MM879
I get every type of immunization available. The international traveler set has the full hepatitis series A, B, C. Most of these diseases can be food born. I can't imagine anyone not getting the hepatitis series.

Yep A is “food borne” only in the case of insufficient sanitation - lack of hand washing. It is fecal:oral in transmission.

The other hepatitis are spread via intimate contact.

Yes, I understand that. International travel will expose you to things you never dreamed of. China is the worst.

D
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
D
Originally Posted by ironbender
I get every type of immunization available. The international traveler set has the full hepatitis series A, B, C. Most of these diseases can be food born. I can't imagine anyone not getting the hepatitis series.

Yep A is “food borne” only in the case of insufficient sanitation - lack of hand washing. It is fecal:oral in transmission.

The other hepatitis are spread via intimate contact.

Yes, I understand that. International travel will expose you to things you never dreamed of. China is the worst.

Can't disagree with the last statement

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I get mine. And will continue to do so.

Life can be rough on us dreamers.
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Been getting the flu shot for a while now. Haven't had it since I started, but that may be as much about my lifestyle as anything else. We don't go out much, and when I shop, I use wipes on the cart and my hands, don't touch my face until I get home and wash. No colds either. Because of my age, I get a bigger dose of the vaccine.

Finished the shingles shots last month. That one kicks my butt for a couple of days, but nothing compared to shingles.

What fresh Hell is this?
Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
I get them every year. Now if they could come up with a shot for the common cold!

Sam......

C
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
C
I used to be an anti-vaciner; finally decided that second guessing my MD made as much sense as it would if he tried to tell me how to do my job.

Mathew 22: 37-39

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by jaguartx
Originally Posted by Buck720
The one and only flu shot I took made me sicker than a damn dog!

How long ago?

About 8 years ago it’s the only time I have ever been that sick and haven’t been sick since so I will take my chances

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Flu and shingles shots yes

Pneumonia when I am old enough

IC B3

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Go get the flu shot asap! Hell get a couple.....more adjuvants the better I say.

Heck might as well toss in a couple mmr and dtap while you're there too.

Last edited by Jackson_Handy; 02/08/20.
R
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
R
I get the flu shot every year. They must have got it right this year because the flu strain that is going around is hitting people in my office hard.

That is, those that don't believe in the flu shot are the ones getting sick.

I really should start getting the pneumonia shot as I'm susceptible to it since I almost died from it when I was 1.

The last time I had it, it was not good.

I keep trying to talk my parents into getting the flu shot but they are dead set against it.

The deer hunter does not notice the mountains

"I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant and fill him with a terrible resolve" - Isoroku Yamamoto

There sure are a lot of America haters that want to live here...

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I got the flu shot this year. Wife did not, she got the flu and was sick for a week. In bed for 2 days straight. Does that tell you anything? I got pneumonia twice and bronchitis in the 1990's. Haven't had pneumonia since, never got the flu. Had bronchitis twice since. Bronchitis was funny, never got a fever, very little if any cold. Just started as a cough and kept coughing for several weeks. Had to take steroids to get over it.

Flu shots do work. Not an experiment. I do take pneumonia shots every 5 years.

S
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
S
I don't get those shots. There can be bad side effects.
Every year in the summer they forecast which type of flu will hit in the coming winter. Then they formulate shots for that type of flu.
Half the time, they pick the wrong type of flu.

R
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by simonkenton7
Every year in the summer they forecast which type of flu will hit in the coming winter. Then they formulate shots for that type of flu.

Ok, Boomer.

lol just kidding.

grin

The deer hunter does not notice the mountains

"I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant and fill him with a terrible resolve" - Isoroku Yamamoto

There sure are a lot of America haters that want to live here...

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by hanco
How many have had them? Do you recommend getting those shots??

Hell yeah and shingles too.

Faith and love of others knows no mileage nor bounds. That's simply the way it is.
dogzapper

After the game is over, the king and the pawn go into the same box.
Italian Proverb

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D

So without the flu shot you may have 100% chance of getting the flu and with it you have 50% chance. Hmm. I prefer to cut my chances in half. They got it right this year, especially for my wife and I. The later in the fall you get them, the more accurate the guess. Too early may be the wrong shot. Wait a month or so after they come out, then they may have the right one.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J

From what I've read and been told when I've got flu shots it takes about 2 weeks +/- for the flu vaccine to give full protection.

You can still get the flu if you came in direct contact with the flu virus before getting the shot and/or during the period before it reaches full protection level.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Originally Posted by Dixie_Dude

So without the flu shot you may have 100% chance of getting the flu and with it you have 50% chance. Hmm. I prefer to cut my chances in half. They got it right this year, especially for my wife and I. The later in the fall you get them, the more accurate the guess. Too early may be the wrong shot. Wait a month or so after they come out, then they may have the right one.

Absolutely, get your flu shot asap people! 50% less chance of getting the flu!

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Only had the flu once when I was 45. Gonna turn 70 later this month. But I started getting them at age 65 after my doctor finally yelled at me to get one after refusing every year. He said if I know what's good for me I better start. Well; he's my doctor; I trust him, and he knows a hell of a lot more about that stuff than I do. I've heard lots of positive stuff from other senior citizens about getting your shot.

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
604 members (2003and2013, 007FJ, 160user, 10gaugeman, 17CalFan, 1Longbow, 60 invisible), 2,424 guests, and 1,124 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,597
Posts18,398,217
Members73,815
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.