Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I'm already to plunk down the deposit on a plains hunt in Namibia and my wife has to start worrying about airline ticket cost and my son brings up trophy transport and Taxidermy costs. Now she's even more wound up about it. I wonder if I'll ever get over there? If I sell some guns I could go. I just hate to see it come to that.

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
GO!

You can straighten things back out when you get back.

I'm 72, living now on tight rations, and I have old injuries from a dust-up with a buffalo. I hunted Zimbabwe, SA, and Tanzania on limited funds.

It's obvious you need to go to Africa, so do it. Have the capes and horns shipped back and store them, having some mounted as you find the cash. The guns can always be replaced over time. Some of them won't be missed all that much, trust me. I've sold dozens to fund three safaris.

And...we expect pictures. wink

Hunt with Class and Classics

Religion: A founder of The Church of Spray and Pray

Acquit v. t. To render a judgment in a murder case in San Francisco... EQUAL, adj. As bad as something else. Ambrose Bierce “The Devil's Dictionary”

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Agree with most of the above. I would suggest reevaluating the taxidermy angle. Maybe have some Euro-style mounts done if this part of the experience is important enough to you. The transportation and taxidermy costs could likely be as much as another safari. I took a ton of photos on my two hunts and I have no regrets on skipping the taxidermy. Plus, when you return, you will just need to close your eyes and you'll be transported back, reliving every moment.

I'm becoming more tolerant of intolerant people.
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I've been looking at booking for 2021 but maybe I should book for 2022? Does anybody book Africa two years in advance? I'm just thinking with two years to plan it may be an easier sell.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
The cleaned skulls will be basically ready to put on the wall when they're shipped back--which will cost something but not nearly as much as shoulder mounts, whether you get them done over there or here. Take a bunch of photos and hang the skulls up.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Sell em if you need to n go when you can.

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by moosemike
I'm already to plunk down the deposit on a plains hunt in Namibia and my wife has to start worrying about airline ticket cost and my son brings up trophy transport and Taxidermy costs. Now she's even more wound up about it.

Are you not allowed to spend any money on yourself?

seriously...

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
P
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
P
Mike - book for '21 or '22 - whatever works. Two years out is not too far -will give you plenty of time to work thorough the details. Great advice already - no need for a huge taxidermy bill - take a bunch of photos and have the PH take a bunch with you and the game you take. I've been twice - full deal with trophies shipped back the first time and photos only the second. Both were great trips and I remember them both equally. If you have the desire to go - just go.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Don't listen to Ingwe..........I was lusting to go over several years ago, and AFTER listening to Ingwe, I think I've been there 5 times now. There are some awesome cull hunts to be had in Namibia on the cheap. I believe Kowas charges less than $4k for 10 plains game animals. You could throw in a trophy or two if you like. Africa is special, very special, and I vote to spend the money. You can always make more.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Yes. I am a bad influence.... laugh laugh laugh

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by ingwe
I'm already to plunk down the deposit on a plains hunt in Namibia and my wife has to start worrying about airline ticket cost and my son brings up trophy transport and Taxidermy costs. Now she's even more wound up about it.

seriously...

never argue with your wife.....
just dicker

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Sell guns if you have to, so long as they are not heirlooms.

You can always replace guns. You cannot get time/health back!

USMC 0351

We know the price of everything and the value of nothing.
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by kid0917
Originally Posted by ingwe

seriously...

never argue with your wife.....
just dicker

That's generally what I do. I blindside her with stuff then she gets fired up. When things cool down we discuss things reasonably and come up with a plan. I think she'll go along with this if I move it out another year. And I'm only 45 so time isn't getting away from me really. I appreciate all the advice on here. It makes it seem really doable.

CRS Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Do what you need to do to make the trip. Sell guns, push the date back a year. As long as the trip does not cause true economic hardship, GO!,

You do not need to bring back all trophies and get them mounted. Photos work, as do skull mounts. Money to be saved in that area for sure.

But ultimately it is YOUR decision. If it is important to you, plan for it. Do not go and not bring trophies back IF it is important to you. You will regret that.

Arcus Venator
G
GRF Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
To join in with the throng: go, sell the guns if you need to. Brown bag it every day to work, drop your alcohol or smokes way down, whatever way gets it done to save the money.

In my humble opinion full on taxidermy is over rated. Skulls and horns with lots of pictures are great. Tan a hide or two with hair on for a rug or a chair throw. Tan some hides into leather use them for things at home: purses, briefcases, boots etc. You can fund the leather work years after you are back from the trip if needs be.

The key thing is to go. Planning ahead is never bad. June 2021 I’m hunting in the Caprivi with Kowas. Lots of time to sort gear refresh myself with shooting off the tall sticks and time to plan touring with my wife and I.

If you have the cash considering taking your wife and do some touring. Namibia is easy to tour in.

Key message go. Going younger is better you can hunt real hard and your knees and hips won’t bitch as much at 47 as they will at 57.

Go Mike, find a way, find the money. You will not regret it.

Just remember my opinion and 5 bucks buys you a coffee at Starbucks.

GRF

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by GRF
To join in with the throng: go, sell the guns if you need to. Brown bag it every day to work, drop your alcohol or smokes way down, whatever way gets it done to save the money.

In my humble opinion full on taxidermy is over rated. Skulls and horns with lots of pictures are great. Tan a hide or two with hair on for a rug or a chair throw. Tan some hides into leather use them for things at home: purses, briefcases, boots etc. You can fund the leather work years after you are back from the trip if needs be.

The key thing is to go. Planning ahead is never bad. June 2021 I’m hunting in the Caprivi with Kowas. Lots of time to sort gear refresh myself with shooting off the tall sticks and time to plan touring with my wife and I.

If you have the cash considering taking your wife and do some touring. Namibia is easy to tour in.

Key message go. Going younger is better you can hunt real hard and your knees and hips won’t bitch as much at 47 as they will at 57.

Go Mike, find a way, find the money. You will not regret it.

Just remember my opinion and 5 bucks buys you a coffee at Starbucks.

GRF

X2

Also, taxidermy bill won't be due until 1-2 months after the trip. I've only had bleached skulls and 5 felt backed hides done (bushbuck, red lechwe, impala, blesbok and zebra). If you want to cut costs even more, don't have the hides felt backed or don't bring hides back at all. I don't allow the taxidermist to put the skulls on plaques, I bought Skull Hookers on sale (spreads the cost out over time). Use AHG Shipping to save on shipping costs. I just paid my bill and it seemed like a good rate. Use a good travel agent who knows how to book you the best routes and tickets, and (this is important if you take your rifle) knows how to book your rifle in with the airline. Think Travel with Guns or Travel Express. As I am Canadian, I've used Irina Davidovitch of Victor Travel in Toronto. She is great, I trust her implicitly.

Bottom line, go now!

W
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
W
You don't know what the future holds so go as soon as you can. I got euros done and they were inexpensive, although the shipping charges were not cheap. If it helps, just take pictures and forget the trophies.

Africa is a special place.

Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by WRPape
You don't know what the future holds so go as soon as you can. I got euros done and they were inexpensive, although the shipping charges were not cheap. If it helps, just take pictures and forget the trophies.

Africa is a special place.

What were the shipping charges like? Because I'm thinking about skull mounts.

W
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
W
I hesitate to say because all my skins were done with felt back and edging. The skins added greatly to the cost and weight for shipping. I don't remember the breakdown of everything but I do know the euro mounts on plaques were only $140 dollars each. We're talking kudu, oryx, waterbuck. So not small mounts. Talking with an importer or a possible taxidermist in Namibia would get you some numbers. Or have them dipped in Africa and have your taxidermist back home do them over a period of time to spread out the cost.

Another hint. Take your wife. After two days in Africa my wife was already planning the next trip.

Last edited by WRPape; 02/09/20.
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by WRPape
I hesitate to say because all my skins were done with felt back and edging. The skins added greatly to the cost and weight for shipping. I don't remember the breakdown of everything but I do know the euro mounts on plaques were only $140 dollars each. Were talking kudu, oryx, waterbuck. So not small mounts. Talking with an importer or a possible taxidermist in Namibia would get you some numbers. Or have them dipped in Africa and have your taxidermist back home do them over a period of time to spread out the cost.

Another hint. Take your wife. After two days in Africa my wife was already planning the next trip.

My wife wouldn't be left behind. As much as Africa scares her it fascinates her. She's already worried about Lions, Elephants, Hippos, and Crocs. I told her that is not what Namibia is about.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

560 members (10gaugeman, 06hunter59, 007FJ, 12344mag, 160user, 10ring1, 57 invisible), 2,351 guests, and 1,157 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,211
Posts18,466,244
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.