24hourcampfire.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Two years ago I was fortunate to be able to pick up my first .41 Mag for a very reasonable price at a LGS Now, I enjoy Rugers and this certainly isn't my first, but S&W is my first love when it comes to revolvers and a model 57 or 657 had been at the top of my want list for quite a while. .41's NEVER show up for sale privately or in gun shops in our area, so when this 5.5" Redhawk appeared I immediately jumped on it, even if not only to "scratch the .41 itch" until I found a Smith.
My kids bought me a Weigand Weig-A-Tinny rail for (I think) Father's Day, and then a lucky "Buy-It-Now" deal on a Leupold M8 2x scope on eBay as well as a Hogue Lamo Camo grip (also found on eBay) rounded out the package.
Deer season has been pretty slow for us the last couple seasons but this last November I was given a good shot opportunity at this young 9-point. It was a great experience to be able to take him with my own handloaded ammo, a 215gr LSWC (cast and sold by Travis Frick with tbbullets.com, great stuff!) pushed by 19.1gr of H-110. It resulted in very little bruising and meat damage, too.
Next season my goal is to take a deer with my Ruger Bisley in .45 Colt (no scope, of course).
[Linked Image]

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
An addendum to my previous post of two years ago:
210 Swift A-Frame - 20.4 grains of #11FS - Remington cases - Federal 150 primers.
1350 fps and outstanding accuracy.
#11FS is very similar in burning rate to 296/H110 and 300 MP but has greatly reduced muzzle flash.
This will be my hiking-in-the-wilderness load hopefully providing expansion and adequate penetration.
A friend of mine shot two 410459s through the lungs of a large and wounded black bear with no apparent effect so I decided get some expansion if I could.

One unerring mark of the love of the truth is not entertaining any proposition with greater assurance than the proofs it is built upon will warrant. John Locke, 1690
R
RJM Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Thanks Ron for the correction....10.0 is the max I have used and it is also book max... I doubt that 11.0 would blow anything up but there are better powders when wanting to push velocities past what 10.0 gets...

If you can not deal with reality, reality will deal with you....
R
RJM Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
...and NICE shooting Jcon...

If you can not deal with reality, reality will deal with you....
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I didn't realize this is an old thread when I started reading it, but someone mentioned that so I was watching to see if I'd ever posted in this one. If I have, I didn't see it.

I have two loads I like for .41 Mag, shooting the Lyman 410610:
14.0 grains of Blue Dot, and
18.0 grains of 2400

I have had a new RCBS .41-210-SWC mold for three or four years, and it has never even been heated up. I think that will change very soon...in fact tomorrow I'll be casting a few 358156 and 358429 to see which one works best in the single unfamiliar-at-best .357 revolver remaining in my safe. I think I have a bunch of 410610 ready to roll, but I need some of the non-GC for testing another relatively new resident of my safe, a three-screw Blackhawk.

Thank goodness I finally got new eyeglasses---I think I may be able to actually shoot a handgun again after a three year hiatus. Between the eyeglasses and this new forum, my enthusiasm for handguns is rekindled!

Don't be the darkness.

America will perish while those who should be standing guard are satisfying their lusts.

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by RJM
...and NICE shooting Jcon...

Thank you. He was close enough that the scope was overkill, but you never know when one will step out at 80-100 yards.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Love this thread, I've recently become enamored with the 41. I don't live in bear country, the most dangerous thing I'd ever run into around here would be the occasional negro on the way to the feed store. I just recently bought a Ruger BH in 41 and have been playing with a 175 gr cast hollow point from GT bullets and the 170 Sierra JHP. Tomorrow I'm gonna be shooting some 170's I loaded tonight, these are hopefully gonna be my deer load, pushed by 25.0 grains of H110, should be in the 1700 fps range. Today I shot some 175 cast hollow points in front of 7.0 of Titegroup, they shot really well. I will be using them for a everyday load in the farm truck. I love the idea of lighter bullets in the 41 at elevated velocities, deep penetration is not a concern for anything I'd ever shoot around here.

I
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I
mirage243, running light weight bullets at high speed is fun & can be very accurate with minimal recoil & if the target is just small game or random targets the impact can be very impressive.. But one thing I might mention is the use of light cast HP's at high speed on deer, etc. They could easily fail even on small deer if pushed to high velocity. The only bullet I would use that is light weight is the 170 gr Sierra which is designed for doing just what you mentioned.
Lots of game has been taken with that bullet at high speed with no problems but a light weight cast HP could prove to be a real problem, just my opinion. Either raising the bullet weight a bit or slowing down that 175 HP a bit might serve you best on small white tails.

Dick

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
I got a new ruger redhawk 4" last year and just starting shooting it a few weeks ago. One thing I noticed is with the loads I'm shooting it isn't very accurate. 21 gr 296 behind a hornady 210 xtp. I tried another load with 20 grains but had the same results.
What do you guys suggest I try? I don't have any other bullets to try or a different pistol powder.

Don't limit your challenges
Challenge your limits
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Idaho 1945, thanks for the info. I'm just running the cast bullets about 1200, the Sierra JHP's I'm running about 1700 ish, I put 24.5 grains of H110 behind them, I wouldn't even attempt that with the 175 cast bullets. I loaded the cast with 7.0 of Titegroup. Both of them shot extremely well, the JHP's were 3 inches higher at 50 yards than the cast which was expectable considering the extra 500 fps.

IC B3

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
If you cast your own, and have the ability to source two pots, I would highly recommend a heat treated base (WW alloy) with the combination of a pure lead hollow point or plain lead softnose

I made some for a friend in 45 Super (rifle) and he proceeded to shoot three deer that I gutted and butchered without a single bullet recovered. Wound diameter resembled 50 cent pieces.
They were 238 gr. hollow points driven at 1,800 fps, Lyman 452423 type.

I would wager a soft nosed, heat treated cast bullet would easily outperform the Sierra, provided the slug fits.

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
Originally Posted by gutthooked
I got a new ruger redhawk 4" last year and just starting shooting it a few weeks ago. One thing I noticed is with the loads I'm shooting it isn't very accurate. 21 gr 296 behind a hornady 210 xtp. I tried another load with 20 grains but had the same results.
What do you guys suggest I try? I don't have any other bullets to try or a different pistol powder.

I'd suggest shooting it more and getting acclimated to it with a powder that isnt so noxious.

Bullets for 41s often all shoot well, because there's little variance between common bullets and the throat/barrel diameters.

If you've shot very few magnum handgun rounds, or shoot one every so often, it's pretty hard to get good with one or develop bad habits when you do shoot it.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by HawkI
Originally Posted by gutthooked

I'd suggest shooting it more and getting acclimated to it with a powder that isnt so noxious.

Why would you say W296 is so noxious? Since he's hunting outdoors then the fumes shouldn't be any issue, especially when it's just an occasional shot, anyway.
H-110 (same powder as W296) is a great powder for the .41 and other magnums. I run 19.1gr behind a LSWC which works well for a hunting load. At least on the deer it killed this season.

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
7 grs of Unique works well for a hunting load too....

Perhaps I should use the word obnoxious.

H110/296 IS a very accurate powder, provided one is acclimated to the blast and recoil associated with using it. If one is telling me it's not very accurate in the load they are using, it's probably because at the original level the noise, racket and recoil are all road blocks to hitting well for the average shooter.

The paper and deer do not know the difference.

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J

H110/296 IS a very accurate powder, provided one is acclimated to the blast and recoil associated with using it. If one is telling me it's not very accurate in the load they are using, it's probably because at the original level the noise, racket and recoil are all road blocks to hitting well for the average shooter.

Yep shooter error is the number one problem for causing in accuracy with new hand gunners

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

Ok, that makes sense. I have not personally found the blast of H-110 to be particularly obnoxious in the .41, but then I also don't try to push it to its absolute max, either.

I
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I
I've taken a fair number of deer with 8 grs of Unique, mostly using a 230 gr Keith but lately a 217 gr HP. That's what I used last year to take a depredation doe with at 88 yds using my OM Ruger 41 shorty. As Hawk mentions a 2 part softnose cast works well also & I've used them quite a bit. Took my Idaho bull moose & a Ruger SRH 480 with a 370 softnose cast at 45 yds off hand, one shot. Complete penetration & down in about 30 yds or so. A soft nose cast is an amazing bullet. Practice with regular bullets, hunt with the soft nose cast.

Dick

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
For those of you still using Blue Dot. After the warnings about using Blue Dot in the 41, have you adjusted your loads?

He who joyfully marches in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would suffice.

- Albert Einstein
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
96 members (10gaugemag, 16penny, 257_X_50, 338Rules, 444Matt, 13 invisible), 1,732 guests, and 724 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,727
Posts18,400,720
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.