Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by sdgunslinger
probably nothing wrong with the Burris other than limited erector travel......that model specs at 40 moa total movement

your rings , bases , receiver combination is simply not lining up with the bore.......way more common than you might think

I have Remingtons , *good ones* made in the seventies that are so far off you have to use multiple shims AND windage adjustable bases to get any sort of scope sighted in

older M70 s , it is not unheard of to have the receiver threads cut so that the barrel is pointing downward

these sort of problems are why it costs so much to have an action blueprinted , and why the custom actions can demand such a high price , hard to believe you have not experienced such issues before

Another scope came off of that same rifle in the same set of rings and bases, and it had plenty of room for adjustment. Maxed out it was still way low. About 3 inches at 25 yards. Is that something that could be shimmed? If so, where would you place a shim?

GB1

H
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
H
Originally Posted by Old_Toot
Originally Posted by 1bigdude
Buy cheap production rifles and then expect superior firearms is like paying for azz with expectations of true loyalty. Rarely do you hear of problems with Brownings,. But then again you do not buy them for $300. I never had a single issue with Blazer rifles and that comes after about a dozen of them I have or did own.

Might ought to try a Savage once.

I own half a dozen Savage rifles as well as Marlins all but one Marlin a 357 mag that would not cycle 38 special wad cutters well from the factory were indeed flawless. After bitching about the 38 spl wad cutter issue I red the disclaimer from Marlin....do not shoot 38 special wad cutters they are not reliably cycled .

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by viking
Has Remington QC gotten better lately, or is it a crap shoot yet?

This 5R model is supposed to be a nicer gun than the standard 700. At $850 it certainly cost more. This is the first Remington that has had issues for me.

https://www.remington.com/rifles/bolt-action/model-700/model-700-stainless-5-r

Last edited by PaulBarnard; 02/09/20.
B
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by viking
Has Remington QC gotten better lately, or is it a crap shoot yet?
Remington quality has not been good at any time since I started general gunsmithing in 1990. It was better under Dupont than it has been since.

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Old_Toot
Originally Posted by 1bigdude
Buy cheap production rifles and then expect superior firearms is like paying for azz with expectations of true loyalty. Rarely do you hear of problems with Brownings,. But then again you do not buy them for $300. I never had a single issue with Blazer rifles and that comes after about a dozen of them I have or did own.

Might ought to try a Savage once.

Savage has never disappointed me in performance. I should have bought the Savage HM2 instead. I have 2 other Ruger American Rimfires. They both shoot well and have noticeably smoother actions. One is a 22 magnum that doesn't like to extract one brand (Aguila) of brass. It extracts all others.

Last edited by PaulBarnard; 02/09/20.
IC B2

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by PaulBarnard
Originally Posted by sdgunslinger
probably nothing wrong with the Burris other than limited erector travel......that model specs at 40 moa total movement

your rings , bases , receiver combination is simply not lining up with the bore.......way more common than you might think

I have Remingtons , *good ones* made in the seventies that are so far off you have to use multiple shims AND windage adjustable bases to get any sort of scope sighted in

older M70 s , it is not unheard of to have the receiver threads cut so that the barrel is pointing downward

these sort of problems are why it costs so much to have an action blueprinted , and why the custom actions can demand such a high price , hard to believe you have not experienced such issues before

Another scope came off of that same rifle in the same set of rings and bases, and it had plenty of room for adjustment. Maxed out it was still way low. About 3 inches at 25 yards. Is that something that could be shimmed? If so, where would you place a shim?

the other scope most likely had enough erector travel to line up, various scopes do differ alot in that respect....you would shim the rear base or at the rear holes if one piece to raise the barrel/point of impact

Last edited by sdgunslinger; 02/09/20.
B
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B
This 5R model is supposed to be a nicer gun than the standard 700. At $850 it certainly cost more. This is the first Remington that has had issues for me.

Then count yourself lucky.

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Blackheart

Then count yourself lucky.

I have had enough Ruger issues to make up for my luck with Remington. I had sworn Ruger off before the special run HM2. Conceptually I liked it well enough to risk it. I was stupid. Never will another Ruger gun come into my house. When my bud handled it, he loved it. I talked him out of buying one. I hate that for Whittaker. They got into them pretty heavy because so many people wanted them. Then when word of the issues hit the 'net, sales came to a skid.

It will be interesting to see how Remington handles this. I will call them tomorrow.

Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
Sorry you had bad luck. I have a 5R 300 Win mag. It is flawless. I hope they correct yours. I really like 700’s, probably had 20 through the years, have around ten now. I’ve never had issues with any of them. It’s a pain to send things back, again sorry you are having troubles!

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Do you know of a good source for shims?

IC B3

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Brownells or Amazon

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
laugh

It's official. I missed the selfie deadline so I'm Maser's sock puppet because rene and the Polish half of the fubar twins have decided that I am.

ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ μολὼν λαβέ
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Brownells shim kit.

Wow, you every try Google?

Official member of "The Clan of Turd-like People"

[Linked Image]
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S

Coors cans , cut to size....but the ready made Brownells are handy

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Think I would look at tikka rifles and SS scopes. A ton of reliability and accuracy for not much money. It would certainly be better than your current situation.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Paul, were any of these rifles those that you found on close outs ?

I recall that you got some steals of a deal on a few rifles.

The degree of my privacy is no business of yours.

What we've learned from history is that we haven't learned from it.
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
I don't know how many Rugers I have owned since buying my first M77 in 1978. Had one stainless Vaquero that had to go back to have some cosmetic issues fixed, but mechanically they have all been trouble free. The old tang-safety M77's had a much higher quality of fit & finish, IMHO. I guess I'm a bit biased.

"No good deed shall go unpunished!"
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Paul just has rotten luck and he likes to wear it like a badge of cour.....some kind of badge. Most people would have to buy well over 1k rifles to experience the issues he has weekly...........

Can anyobe spell attention seeker? Whoops, i just did........... laugh

It's official. I missed the selfie deadline so I'm Maser's sock puppet because rene and the Polish half of the fubar twins have decided that I am.

ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ μολὼν λαβέ
E
ERK Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
E
Burris rings with the shims you can change are perfect. I have them on target guns and boomers with no problem. Another advantage is no scope scarring. You can also use these to shim sideways if necessary. Good luck. I have 2 Burris pistol scopes I had to send in for warranty. One the front popped off of and the other had crap falling off inside . Got them back with the front crossthreaded on and after a couple shots with the other one more junk in the tube. No more Burris. Ed k

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by BayouRover
Paul just has rotten luck and he likes to wear it like a badge of cour.....some kind of badge. Most people would have to buy well over 1k rifles to experience the issues he has weekly...........

Can anyobe spell attention seeker? Whoops, i just did........... laugh

I think you’re wrong.

The degree of my privacy is no business of yours.

What we've learned from history is that we haven't learned from it.
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

664 members (12344mag, 1234, 163bc, 06hunter59, 17CalFan, 160user, 65 invisible), 2,390 guests, and 1,233 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,626
Posts18,455,133
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.