Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Dre Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have 270 and 06. And have been my main go to for 10+ years. My 270 is dedicated deer rifle.
But now and only After 6 months, the 6.5 CM is my new favorite.
Ive seen it cheaper than 308 or the 270 and shoots just as good...actually better.
I Hate to be that guy.
With monos I’d choose the 270 with 130s over the 308

All of them do something better than the 30-06, but none of them do everything as well.
BP-B2

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by OrangeDiablo
Concentrate more on the type of bullet rather than which caliber. A ballistic tip in a smaller caliber can cause more destruction than a CC or mono in a larger caliber

“It’s the boolit, not the headstamp”, as we hear from the far North.

Tissue damage and blood loss kills. Just put the destruction in the right place, save meat.

For most general hunting, medium rounds, like the Swede, Creed, 7-08, 308, et. al. are hard to beat, IMO.

Bullet choice as a function of velocity is an art as much if not more than science.

Variables abound. No right or wrong, just what works for you. Opinions evolve over time and with experience.

DF

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by OriginalUsername
Thank you all for the input. I was kind of thinking there'd be no real defining reason to get into magnums with my criteria. The availability is really good on all the rounds I mentioned, but 270 and 308 are the most available and affordable, with a broad variety.

I saw someone mention 7-08, and yes I'd love to go with that, but around me I see on average one lone box of that stuff in most stores, and it's usually much more expensive than the aforementioned.

Seems more and more I'm hearing folks tell me to go lower recoil for better shooting/consistent accuracy, so likely coming between the two in category 1.

Anyone with experience with both 270 and 308? Asking pretty much just about recoil at this point. Vastly different? I'm assuming (yeah I know) that 270 will recoil harder with the extra charge, even though it's smaller caliber. Right or wrong?

Yes, the .270 does have more recoil, but's it's only just enough to be able to notice it. The .308 with a 200gr bullet kicks just as much. The major difference between them will be in weight. Scoped and loaded, both of my .308's weigh just under 8lbs., and they are plastic stocked rifles with aluminum scope mounts! Bare, they're under 6 1/2. Wood stocked long action rifles like my .270 weigh a bit more. All four of the cartridges you were inquiring about are available in the Tikka T3 Lite Stainless smile

"Give a lazy man the toughest job, and he will find the easiest way to do it"
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
D F, I had considered posting these pix and decided not to do it BUT your post convinced me.
I have posted and commented on this but 'some' don't believe.
Obviously a bullet thru the ribs/lungs loses no edible meat but generally there is the death run.

I shot this Doe using the HI shoulder shot. At the 'TOP' of the shoulder
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

This is not a good pic of the R shoulder, that is blood but NO meat loss off that shoulder

I used the 'gutless' method and you can see the limited damage. None of the L shoulder lost.

Where I hunt most of the time I'm close to a fence, property line, and I use the Hi shoulder shot frequently.
When you learn to put the bullet at the TOP of the shoulder there is LITTLE meat loss.
Here I lost less than a double handful of meat.

I have pix of other deer I've dressed but they are in PhotoPUKEIT and are 'water marked' aka > BLURRED !
I've used 270, 06, & 7 RM. This is my preferred choice of shot placement for no tracking and minimal meat damage.

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
T
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
Shoot em in the head-- no meat loss--

6.5 Swede will do all you need--140 Partition,or Hornady Interlock work fine.

IC B2

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Hey all. I'm looking to get into a new rifle for the next deer season. Looking for consistency from 50-250 yards(that's my hunting spot), flat and powerful but not not overly destructive. I've been going back and forth, comparing two different levels.

Category 1 - 270 or 308: Seem fairly similar, the 270 seems to edge out on most numbers, but seems I'd be just as happy with one as the other. Please share personal experience between the two of there's big defining pieces I'm missing. Would've probably had 7mm-08 in place of 308, but ammo is simply not as available around me.

Category 2 - 7mm mag or 300 mag: These are obviously a step up. My brother uses a 7mm mag, and though it seems way unnecessary, it gets the job done every time and doesn't seem to destroy the deer. I can read numbers all day, but from personal experience is there a vast difference between these two in actual performance? Or are they both in the "stupid obnoxious" realm for whitetail, and it doesn't really matter?

I'm trying to pin down the best (relative) choice in each category and then make up my mind from there. Trying not to over think it. All of these will absolutely kill a deer with good shot placement. I'm just trying to see why or if I should really lean one way or another, or just pick one and have fun.

Thanks!

Was a time you woudl be well served by a 308, 270, '06, 708, etc etc. My answer a few years back, for me, was the 7-08.

That said, I dont see how you can conceivably take a deer at distances over 100 yards without a 6.5 Creeeeedmoor, a bipod, and a tacticool scope with turrets.

If you have the ability to co-witness something, all the better.

Best of luck and welcome to the fire.

Originally Posted by Archerhunter

Quit giving in inch by inch then looking back to lament the mile behind ya and wonder how to preserve those few feet left in front of ya. They'll never stop until they're stopped. That's a fact.
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Lots of great advice here, some stupid stuff as well.

Consider what your NEXT rifle will be after this one. That may hep you make this selection.

Oh, and you will be buying another one, even if you dont think you will.

Truly, when it coems down to it, the rifle fit and the projectile are infinitley more important than the headstamp, brand, or a few fps one way or the other.

So, what are you thinking of next, after this rifle?

** and if you hvent figured it out yet, my previous post was just being facetious. No warts onthe 6.5 creed either. In fact, probably none at all.

Last edited by Crockettnj; 02/09/20.

Originally Posted by Archerhunter

Quit giving in inch by inch then looking back to lament the mile behind ya and wonder how to preserve those few feet left in front of ya. They'll never stop until they're stopped. That's a fact.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
.257 Weatherby magnum. Thank me later. laugh

E
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
E
Thank you all for the input. I was kind of thinking there'd be no real defining reason to get into magnums with my criteria. The availability is really good on all the rounds I mentioned, but 270 and 308 are the most available and affordable, with a broad variety.

I saw someone mention 7-08, and yes I'd love to go with that, but around me I see on average one lone box of that stuff in most stores, and it's usually much more expensive than the aforementioned.

Seems more and more I'm hearing folks tell me to go lower recoil for better shooting/consistent accuracy, so likely coming between the two in category 1.

Anyone with experience with both 270 and 308? Asking pretty much just about recoil at this point. Vastly different? I'm assuming (yeah I know) that 270 will recoil harder with the extra charge, even though it's smaller caliber. Right or wrong?

You obviously have access to the internet. If you want the 7-08, go for it and stock up on ammo online at better prices.

My heart's in the mountains, my heart is not here.
My heart's in the mountains, chasing the deer.
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by jwall
D F, I had considered posting these pix and decided not to do it BUT your post convinced me.
I have posted and commented on this but 'some' don't believe.
Obviously a bullet thru the ribs/lungs loses no edible meat but generally there is the death run.

I shot this Doe using the HI shoulder shot. At the 'TOP' of the shoulder

This is not a good pic of the R shoulder, that is blood but NO meat loss off that shoulder

I used the 'gutless' method and you can see the limited damage. None of the L shoulder lost.

Where I hunt most of the time I'm close to a fence, property line, and I use the Hi shoulder shot frequently.
When you learn to put the bullet at the TOP of the shoulder there is LITTLE meat loss.
Here I lost less than a double handful of meat.

I have pix of other deer I've dressed but they are in PhotoPUKEIT and are 'water marked' aka > BLURRED !
I've used 270, 06, & 7 RM. This is my preferred choice of shot placement for no tracking and minimal meat damage.

Jerry

Doesn’t that line up with the spine?

Spine shot, they gonna drop.

DF

IC B3

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Yes D F. The spine ABOVE the shoulders —> going into the neck.

All C N S shots produce instant drop.
Head shot can be MESSY !
Neck is larger dia. Area.
Spine from neck to hips.

You have to have confidence in your Bullet placement.

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by jwall
Yes D F. The spine ABOVE the shoulders —> going into the neck.

All C N S shots produce instant drop.
Head shot can be MESSY !
Neck is larger dia. Area.
Spine from neck to hips.

You have to have confidence in your Bullet placement.

Jerry

A good hog shot is shoulder about a third down from the top. Hits the spine.

DF

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by DELGUE
I'd say get a Ruger Hawkeye in .308 and drive on.

Solid rifle, solid cartridge.

This is what I did, and you can't go wrong with this setup.

Always remember that you are unique, just like everyone else.
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Hey all. I'm looking to get into a new rifle for the next deer season. Looking for consistency from 50-250 yards(that's my hunting spot), flat and powerful but not not overly destructive. I've been going back and forth, comparing two different levels.

Category 1 - 270 or 308: Seem fairly similar, the 270 seems to edge out on most numbers, but seems I'd be just as happy with one as the other. Please share personal experience between the two of there's big defining pieces I'm missing. Would've probably had 7mm-08 in place of 308, but ammo is simply not as available around me.

Category 2 - 7mm mag or 300 mag: These are obviously a step up. My brother uses a 7mm mag, and though it seems way unnecessary, it gets the job done every time and doesn't seem to destroy the deer. I can read numbers all day, but from personal experience is there a vast difference between these two in actual performance? Or are they both in the "stupid obnoxious" realm for whitetail, and it doesn't really matter?

I'm trying to pin down the best (relative) choice in each category and then make up my mind from there. Trying not to over think it. All of these will absolutely kill a deer with good shot placement. I'm just trying to see why or if I should really lean one way or another, or just pick one and have fun.

Thanks!

Like I said earlier, what you are asking for is a Mono bullet to do the work.

To expand on that, If I am looking to kill deer and wreck a minimum of meat, it WILL be a mono out of a VERY accurate rifle. Accuracy that is absolutely dependable is confidence to place a bullet EXACTLY where you want it. That kind of accuracy is not something you get with every rifle, but you can get close with a lot of them I have a .270 that I shoot with 110 grain TTSXs. I get 1/2 inch high by caliber wide groups out of. I used it to put a deer down where it stood at the bitter end of legal shooting light out past 250 yards in a cut hay field because I was not longer certain of EXACTLY where it was standing, and I wanted nothing to do with having an hours search to find blood if I was lucky. I put that bullet within 1/2 inch of where I wanted it. I used a .243 with a TSX that was even more accurate to place a bullet through the brain stem at 165 yards because I wanted that particular deer and it was the last minute of the deer season on the same field and I had no choice but to let it go or take that shot. It was facing dead straight away from me. I have never shot a deer in the ass in my life and that one was not about to be the first one. The latter ruined zero meat. The former ruined a very small amount, maybe less than a burger's worth on each of the shoulder blades at the top of the blade.

Without the combination of the superb accuracy of those rifles and the mono bullets the choice would be pass or more wrecked meat, maybe a lot more.

Get started reloading! You want and need the accuracy that can provide. Monos are sensitive to seating depth with individual rifles and that can mean the difference between really superb accuracy and "minute of deer" accuracy.

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
I started out in 1973 shooting a .308 with 180gr. Hornady RN bullet, I took my biggest buck with that load. Later switched to 165gr. Sierra GK which worked well, fast forward to the last few years I still use the 165gr. Sierra GK in .30-06 harvested both '019 deer with that combination. I also shoot a .35 Whelen with 200gr. Hornady Inter-lok RN which is accurate and deadly on whitetail, last deer taken with that load was an 8pt. buck. A 100yd. raking shot the bullet was recovered from just under the skin of the farside shoulder. It was perfectly mushroomed and retained 66% of its original weight. .308, .30-06, .35 Whelen have been my go to calibers for deer hunting for the last 58yrs. they always got the job done without a lot of meat loss.

T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
Originally Posted by 65BR
Originally Posted by Tom2506
My two cents...
Killed more than a few with 308 and 270.
My pick is the 308, more choices and not a lot of fanfare. Just results.
The 270 kills well too. I just keep going back to the 308.
Pick one that fits you well and go slay venison. Good luck and have fun!

Thanks, Tom

PS...no need for expense and blast of magnum on deer.

What bullet do you prefer in your 308? I'd imagine it would be a split for folks using either 150 or 165s for deer.

As to the OP, I would run a Barnes mono, solid copper if me to minimize meat loss, or you can just punch the lungs. I do know what a 270 / 130 Ballistic Tip will do on deer..........under 100 yds......the 150 Partition and Ballistic Tip was equally deadly with less meat damage.....

Normally I try avoiding shoulders, but for my research, I punched both shoulders on two bucks both crossed same area on different days, broadside, 100 yds, 243 / 95 Ballistic tip (tough bullet in this line) and also a 260 with 130 Accubond. Both cases, meat loss was not bad....

That said, again in your 270, a 150 SHOULD be better typically, and a solid copper mono, like Barnes might be better yet, and in that bullet I would run 130s as speed helps expansion, especially when not hitting much bone, etc.

65BR,
In the 308 I mostly use 170gr Speer HotCore FN and Hornady 180gr RN. Both driven about 2450fps.

IF... I had to use something else it would be the 110 or 130gr Barnes TTSX driven 3100+ fps. Wicked killers.

In the 270 it would be the 150gr Partition @ 2800-2850fps. Reliable and deadly.

Last edited by Tom2506; 02/13/20.
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Someone mentioned thinking about what your NEXT rifle might be, after purchasing this one, in weighing your current consideration. I like that bit of advice a lot. To me, .308 seems not only ideal given the parameters you mention in your current purchase, but an excellent ‘middle ground’ to move ‘up’ from or ‘down’ from there. Hard not to like a .good rifle in .308. That would be my pick.

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Originally Posted by 603Country
If you don’t reload, I’d guess the easiest ammo to find on the shelf at Bubba’s Gas Station and Feed Store will be 270, 308, and 30-06.

This is one of my top priorities with this rifle, easy access to ammunition. Don't have to seek out specialty gun or sporting goods stores. If in need and life has me running behind, I can just swing into any department store that sells sporting goods, or even Bubba's 😉

I do love the idea of reloading, getting things dialed in specifically to what I want. Just figured there would be some decent overhead involved in getting started.

The 270 is practically jumping into your cart.

"The number one problem with America is, a whole lot of people need shot, and nobody is shooting them."
-Master Chief Hershel Davis

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
You don't need a Magnum caliber for 250 yard shots.

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by 308ld
Cat 1 ...... 308, 150 bullet @ 2800fps. Point blank range would be about 270 yards. point and shoot. Dead deer.

Yea verily, verily.

Throttle fixes everything. If it doesn't fix the problem, it’ll end the suspense.
Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
465 members (1Longbow, 160user, 300jimmy, 10ring1, 1lesfox, 257 mag, 47 invisible), 2,068 guests, and 982 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,595
Posts18,398,143
Members73,815
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.