Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
High quality grits are now a VERY popular base/side for many dishes in fine dining restaurants around the South; most around here use this local product:

https://mcewenandsons.com

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I tried 'em once when I was in Basic Training, didn't care for them, haven't tried them since.

[Linked Image]
N
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
N
Originally Posted by IZH27
I always cook them down to get the excess water out of them. My dad taught me to to eat them with eggs. Eggs over easy with buttered grits. Salt and pepper to taste. Mix it all up and enjoy.

Exactly.

“Factio democratica delenda est"
C
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by TBREW401
Lewis Grizzard, comedian, said he made millions selling grits trees to yankees---

Didn't sell me any grits, but I loved "Shoot Low Boys, They're Riding Shetland Ponies"...read it out loud when my wife was in labor with kid #2...was supposed to be a girl and came out a boy. Powerful stuff.

Mauser Rescue Society
Founder, President, and Chairman

I don't always shoot Mausers, but when I do...I prefer VZ-24s.

jdi do píči
W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Shrimp and Grits are a favorite!

IC B2

RLA Online Content
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
I love grits with breakfast, I have eaten cheese grits and garlic grit casseroles also.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by CowboyTim
Originally Posted by TBREW401
Lewis Grizzard, comedian, said he made millions selling grits trees to yankees---

Didn't sell me any grits, but I loved "Shoot Low Boys, They're Riding Shetland Ponies"...read it out loud when my wife was in labor with kid #2...was supposed to be a girl and came out a boy. Powerful stuff.

I Haven't Understood Anything Since 1962 is a great read, even though some will manage to find some communist bits in it.

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by Cruiser1
High quality grits are now a VERY popular base/side for many dishes in fine dining restaurants around the South; most around here use this local product:

https://mcewenandsons.com

Thanks Cruiser. I’m going to order some grits that they offer.

The degree of my privacy is no business of yours.

What we've learned from history is that we haven't learned from it.
L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
I first ate a grit at Jump school at Ft. Benning, it was then that I understood why the south lost the war. Fast forward >50 years and I had Pork Belly w/ cheese grits at Fleming's Steak House, if prepared properly they are OK but will never be a substitute for hash browns.

mike r

Don't wish it were easier
Wish you were better

Stab them in the taint, you can't put a tourniquet on that.
Craig Douglas ECQC
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Hotrod_Lincoln
You could eat 'em damyankee style with milk and sugar, but don't try that south of Kentucky! A good friend in Tallahassee Florida was grinding grits from heirloom white dent corn grown in the northeast Georgia mountains from seed stock that hasn't been hybridized - - - - -same stuff they've grown there for over 200 years. He also used the same corn to brew up some of the best corn likker I've ever had. Unfortunately, he passed away back in December. Google "Bumpy Road Farm" in Tallahassee to see if they're still in business, but be aware that once you try those grits you'll be spoiled for life for any other kind!
Jerry

I believe that all Bibles down that way state that the manna that came down from Heaven was actually grits.

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
IC B3

J
Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
J
Originally Posted by lvmiker
I first ate a grit at Jump school at Ft. Benning, it was then that I understood why the south lost the war. Fast forward >50 years and I had Pork Belly w/ cheese grits at Fleming's Steak House, if prepared properly they are OK but will never be a substitute for hash browns.

mike r

OCS or Armor Officer Basic for dad down there....or maybe it was Jump School.

He said grits were bad, and the south had no idea what a Hot Roast Beef sandwich was.

I am MAGA.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by joken2

Grits are an option as a 'side' on Cracker Barrel's breakfast menu. They also come standard with certain breakfasts.

Best grits I ever ate are Cracker Barrel's. They come with the Grandpa's Breakfast, which is the only thing I ever order when I'm there, regardless of what time of day......……… All I add is a little salt.

Funny deal...……. South of the Mason-Dixon, the meal comes with grits. Pennsylvania...……. Ohio...…….. Indiana, etc, they ask you "You want the grits with that ?? In Michigan.........you gotta ask, "Where's the grits ??"

Wollen nicht krank dein feind. Planen es.
J
Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
J
So there is corn grits and hominy grits?

I am MAGA.
L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad
Originally Posted by lvmiker

mike r

OCS or Armor Officer Basic for dad down there....or maybe it was Jump School.

He said grits were bad, and the south had no idea what a Hot Roast Beef sandwich was.

Benning was my 1st experience in the south, I expected more having grown up in the oil business. Then I was sent to Ft. Sam in Texas, Dante wrote about that place. Going to RVN. was an upgradegrin

mike r

Don't wish it were easier
Wish you were better

Stab them in the taint, you can't put a tourniquet on that.
Craig Douglas ECQC
J
Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
J
Dad said the people were okay. The food was weird.

Who doesn't know what a ditch is or a hot roast beef?

I am MAGA.
J
Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
J
Dad did say that 37 was too old for jump school.

I am MAGA.
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
I am going to order some as well.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Because they are a national chain Dennys has grits, even if they don't show on the menu. The California cooks had no idea how to make them, so I had to teach them that they should be the consistency of oatmeal, not soup.

I like them with fried egg yolk, gravy or cheese.

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
For breakfast, salt, pepper and butter. They can be great as a side with a cheese corresponding with the main dish. A heavy-flavored braised beef with a good, strong cheese-grits can be an out-of-this-world pairing. And, if you're a wine snob, you can turn it into something really fabulous.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Had cheesy grits this morning at a diner. Had cheesy grits this past week right here at home.

I make the 30-minute kind. When they're about half done in the simmering water, I add a tablespoon or so of milk and some dried chives. I salt the water first, so all I need to add at the table are the shredded cheese and some pepper.

Grits are NOT a hot cereal, no matter how many uneducated Yankees say they are. They're a substitute for potatoes, and you dress them with the same things you'd dress hash browns - which does NOT include sugar. Stir in some cheese, or crumbled bacon, or butter, or green onions, some black pepper, or even a bit of garlic powder. But no damn sugar.

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

580 members (10gaugemag, 1beaver_shooter, 10ring1, 16penny, 17CalFan, 160user, 63 invisible), 2,439 guests, and 1,172 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,220
Posts18,466,431
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.