Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
B
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
B
Just bought a rifle with what was described as a dark bore. It is worth what I paid for it, in other parts, and I have a good barrel for it, but I'm curious to see if I can save the bore. Heck, just some cleaning and a polish might do it. Crossing my fingers. It's a crap shoot, I know. Already a .54. Guess I could go .58...

GB1

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Get one of the Teslong bore scopes off Amazon for $50, and you will know for sure. That being said many bores that look bad actually shoot quite well.

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by smithrjd
That being said many bores that look bad actually shoot quite well.

This make no sense and sounds like a bunch of internet BS.

That said, I have found it to be the case sometimes, and have no explanation for it. I have a 22 with a crap bore but it shoots, and I have had 2 ML with disgusting bores, one did fine and the other shot lights out.

It makes no sense. But it is what it is.

Originally Posted by Archerhunter

Quit giving in inch by inch then looking back to lament the mile behind ya and wonder how to preserve those few feet left in front of ya. They'll never stop until they're stopped. That's a fact.
B
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
B
I have a drop in bore light, that works good, won't have the rifle for a few days, though. Just took a chance. I have 2 other barrels that will fit it. Probably end up using bore paste and kroil.. has some rust around the nipple, too. Not too bad there, but gives an idea what the inside may look like . One of my Investarms Hawkens is 21 years old. Looks almost new, and it's been shot an awful lot. I guess people don't understand you have to clean the silly things! Like I said though, all the rest of the rifle is real nice. Worth what I paid. Worst case, I just toss an extra barrel on it.

I
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I
Get one of the Teslong bore scopes off Amazon for $50, and you will know for sure. That being said many bores that look bad actually shoot quite well.

I agree here, I have a Teslong Borescope in which I REALLY LIKE!! But they are for “Fine detail” with the Angled mirrors, Up close and Personal is where the Teslong i have Shines!! And is precisely why i Went with it. But If you want something to Look Straight down a Large Bore such as Muzzleloaders Without the Fine Detail angle Mirrors, i would look Elsewhere! This Teslong STRUGGLES at that, Not what it was designed for. I would look for a Larger Camera Head Borescope for that Purpose

I have also seen Rough Muzzleloader Bores Shoot REALLY well, The Problem is trying to Maintain a Rough Bore, It is a Nonstop, Losing Battle! Fouling gets inside every nook and cranny, such as Pitting, There is simply no way to Thoroughly Clean and get Everything in a Rough Pitted Bore, The best you can do is Slather it Full of Oil after Cleaning the Best you can. I gave up messing with Rough, Pitted Bore Muzzleloaders, No matter how well they Shot

Last edited by Idaholewis; 02/10/20.

“Absolutely nothing is good enough if it can be made better. And better is never good enough if it can be made best." Author Unknown
IC B2

B
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by Idaholewis

I agree here, I have a Teslong Borescope in which I REALLY LIKE!! But they are for “Fine detail” with the Angled mirrors, Up close and Personal is where the Teslong i have Shines!! And is precisely why i Went with it. But If you want something to Look Straight down a Large Bore such as Muzzleloaders Without the Fine Detail angle Mirrors, i would look Elsewhere! This Teslong STRUGGLES at that, Not what it was designed for. I would look for a Larger Camera Head Borescope for that Purpose

I have also seen Rough Muzzleloader Bores Shoot REALLY well, The Problem is trying to Maintain a Rough Bore, It is a Nonstop, Losing Battle! Fouling gets inside every nook and cranny, such as Pitting, There is simply no way to Thoroughly Clean and get Everything in a Rough Pitted Bore, The best you can do is Slather it Full of Oil after Cleaning the Best you can. I gave up messing with Rough, Pitted Bore Muzzleloaders, No matter how well they Shot

Really good advice, based on experience. Appreciate it. I haven't actually seen down the bore. I guess it could be anywhere from not pristine, to who drove the 4x4 down there. Just trying to prepare a plan of action. I do have another, very good shooting barrel.

B
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
B
Got the rifle. The bore is nearly new. A light cleaning, is all it needed. Actually got 2 rifles, both left hand Cabelas Hawkens. A Sporterized, and a traditional. Dont think they've ever been more than test fired. Got lucky

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Last edited by benchman; 02/13/20.
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Those Cabelas sporters were usually investarms barreled . Many of those were chrome lined. Some were stainless. Most shoot!

the consolidation of the states into one vast republic, sure to be aggressive abroad and despotic at home, will be the certain precursor of that ruin which has overwhelmed all those that have preceded. Robert E Lee
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
B
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
B
Yeah, all of mine are investarms. Just found a NOS .54 carbine barrel. They have a few other parts if you need something...https://www.ar-7.com/investarm-hawken-rifle-carbine-stocks-parts.html

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

605 members (10gaugemag, 01Foreman400, 10Glocks, 22250rem, 1_deuce, 06hunter59, 59 invisible), 2,196 guests, and 1,293 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,284
Posts18,448,683
Members73,900
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.