Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
C
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
I am currently using Edward Jones but I'm less than impressed with my advisor. Currently have an individual account and a Roth account. I have a rough idea about investments, but I'm definitely still learning. What are some recommendations?

BP-B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
First, use a fiduciary only. They are required to serve you first, not their own bottom line. They do not sell on commission, and truly tailor an investment package based on your needs.

If you were military, I heartily recommend First Command. I've been with them for almost half a century.

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
Cody, if you are in the west Michigan area, send me a message. I’ve interviewed four of them in the past year in this area to work for me on my investments. From interviewing those four, and researching a bunch more, I have two that I would highly recommend.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Never trusted them. Every time I get approached tell them the same thing:

I will give you 35% of the profits you make for me above and beyond all fees and commissions. If you don't make me any money then I don't owe you any fees.

Never had one accept this arrangement.

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
The end result is you portfolio should follow the market. The bottom line is you will get what ever level you get in at. Executive management starts at +500k. The free company stuff will get you a selection of turds. Check to see what index they track, if any.

IC B2

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by Snowwolfe

I will give you 35% of the profits you make for me above and beyond all fees and commissions. If you don't make me any money then I don't owe you any fees.

well probably noone accepted that arrangement because it is against the law.

THE BIRTH PLACE OF GERONIMO
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by RoninPhx

Didn't know that. But even more shocked none of them told me that!

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.
M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
Fiduciary doesn't work like that rocky. They still get commissions and they still have favorite products.

So you're largely giving away their fee.

Find a dave Ramsey elp for investment. They do check their people and they have guidelines for what they do. That's about the only way I can think of that people in my industry are truly held to a standard.

C
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by jklund38
Cody, if you are in the west Michigan area, send me a message. I’ve interviewed four of them in the past year in this area to work for me on my investments. From interviewing those four, and researching a bunch more, I have two that I would highly recommend.

Messaged you

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by codybrown
I am currently using Edward Jones but I'm less than impressed with my advisor. Currently have an individual account and a Roth account. I have a rough idea about investments, but I'm definitely still learning. What are some recommendations?

Look up Fee Only Advisors in your area. They have no products to sell. They have a 1-800 phone number.

The degree of my privacy is no business of yours.

What we've learned from history is that we haven't learned from it.
IC B3

I
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I
It would be helpful if you told us about how much money you are investing, its purpose, your time horizon, and what you don't like about he Edward Jones advisor.

Don't blame me. I voted for Trump.

Democrats would burn this country to the ground, if they could rule over the ashes.
G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
Start an online account with Fidelity, Ameritrade, etc., and do it yourself. It's hard to beat index funds.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by RoninPhx

Why is that?

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
I spent 12 years in the insurance and financial services industry and had my series 6. I still bought vanguard sp500 index funds and a nice big life policy and that's really all most of us need.

That index fund did 26% in 2019. That'll do.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O

You didn’t ask the right folks. Try a Hedge Fund. That’s the way that they do business but most do it for 20%.

Also, look into Fisher Investments.

Those will sign you up like pronto.

All of the above is if you’re really determined to invest that way.

The degree of my privacy is no business of yours.

What we've learned from history is that we haven't learned from it.
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by codybrown

You are already smartening up.

The Edward Jones advisor that handled my in law's money ought to be in prison.

There ought to be a bounty on them. Seriously. mad

Do your own research and manage your own money.

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
W
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
W
Originally Posted by gregintenn
Start an online account with Fidelity, Ameritrade, etc., and do it yourself. It's hard to beat index funds.

Agree with this. Schwaab advisors do not make commissions but the advise of using index funds is spot on.

Should also add that as you get more "educated" the sky is the limit with how you invest with little or no fees. Schwaab has a slate of ETF's that allow one to target segments of the market if that is your thing....

Last edited by Westman; 02/10/20.
C
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by IndyCA35
It would be helpful if you told us about how much money you are investing, its purpose, your time horizon, and what you don't like about he Edward Jones advisor.

Roughly 50k in the Roth, and about 25k in the individual account. Have more to invest but am holding off until I am comfortable with where the money is invested.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I left Edward Jones and have an account with fidelity.

My wife has blossomed planning her funds it is awesome!

However in these times of trump it's pretty easy to make money.

"Shoot low sheriff, I think he's riding a shetland!" B. Wills

C
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
About 80% of the holdings in the individual account are mutual funds, the remainder is in exchange traded and closed end funds. The Roth is about 90% mutual funds with the remainder being exchange traded and closed end funds.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
672 members (16Racing, 1234, 163bc, 06hunter59, 09wingates, 75 invisible), 2,667 guests, and 1,213 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,608
Posts18,398,386
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.