Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by JamesJr
Duramax..........isn't that the motor that's in the Obama Motors trucks?

I wouldn't admit to owning one.................lol.

Govt didn't have to bother with fugging that one up.

GM beat them to it... grin

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
BP-B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
the ford 7.3 sounds to me like very bearing on the front of the engine is about to explode like a hand grenade. I have also noted there is a very different level of noise depending on the particular truck at idle, one has the bearing grenade sound and another could have way less of it.

J
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
J
Huh?

Are you referring to single vs multi shot injectors?

I am MAGA.
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
My 01 F250 only has 198,600 miles. I don't figure I'll ever have to shop for another diesel, unless this one gets totaled in a crash. Does what I ask of it and only thing I've had to do under the hood is a water pump and GPR. Although I did also have to put a tranny in it some time ago. Apparently the early 01's had a manual diode, whatever that is, that caused the tranny to loose 2nd gear. Exactly what happened to mine.
Are the new diesels much quieter? Yep. But mine is paid for...and doesn't need DEF.

Laws aren't preventative measures. In other words, more laws won't prevent gun crime from happening.
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Ding !
TRnCO nailed it !

IC B2

V
Vek Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
V
420k and counting on my early 99, 6-speed manual. I spent the dough last summer to rebuild the turbo with a bigger turbine wheel and billet compressor wheel, and a programmer. Towed the 12k boat+trailer twice to the top of Vancouver island, first stock, second with the programmer set to 20hp tow setting, and modified turbo. Night and day difference; no downshifting on the lower island's rolling hills, and big power pulling the hills on the upper island. Stock I was in between direct and overdrive all the time on those mild rolling hills.

Stock it had less poop than a 7.3IDI with aftermarket turbo. That's not much poop.

It is a mix of lots of complicated parts, but generally they're reliable and easily diagnosed. Every 7.3 owner has a cam sensor and 10mm wrench in their glovebox, and every 7.3 at some point needs new glowplugs and injectors, and some top end oil sealing and fuel bowl rebuild work, none of which is difficult. My injectors are stock at 420K...I'm entertaining a swap but will see how this tow season unfolds. Will probably do some compression/leakdown checks before swapping injectors. I bought the truck cheap, have put in some money/effort on springs/shocks/brakes, engine top work (fuel bowl and high pressure oil), and some comfort items (soundproofing and better seats) and now it works great and doesn't owe me much.

It doesn't take much work or modification to harness the big 7.3L displacement and blow the pants off of any non-variable-vane single-turbo 5.9 cummins, of any configuration. Big 5.9 power with a single turbo is certainly available, but you can't have that cake and eat it too: low rpm power is replaced by clouds of smoke. Different story with the variable vane turbo on the 6.7 cummins; that one is a monster.

It's kind of a shame that gas engines have gone from late 70s 7.5:1 low-compression hot constipated big blocks (454 and 460, carbed and fuel injected) to high-strung fuel suckers, with zero reprieve. GM's 8.1L was getting close to sanity, but it too was constipated by poor head port design and engine air/fuel programming. Ford's new 7.3 gas should be a welcome change back to real big block gas power.

Diesels with EGR, SCR, Exhaust Filtration and such are non-starters for me. Way too much drama. Next truck will be big block gas, old or new. If old, the engine will be modified to address poor compression and quench and increase airflow. A 454 or 460 making legit 400hp at 4500-5000 rpm should be a monster.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by splattermatic
How true.
Emissions were the death of the 7.3l.
Heres what else it pulls around.
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

splattermatic, where was that pic taken ?

Campfire Ranger
Online Shocked
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by butchlambert1
Well, post again after you have 305,000 miles on it like my Duramax.

....yup 10,600 hours on mine ....ford backwards ..driver returns on foot.

I work harder than a ugly stripper....
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
12 valve cummins............

God bless Texas-----------------------
Old 300
I will remain what i am until the day I die- A HUNTER......Sitting Bull
Its not how you pick the booger..
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Every 7.3 owner has a cam sensor and 10mm wrench in their glovebox
Not since the recall on them. They seemed to have fixed the issue.

Laws aren't preventative measures. In other words, more laws won't prevent gun crime from happening.
IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
could never understand why Ford, when it bought Volvo, didn't use the Volvo diesel, long considered the best marine diesel.

Be Polite , Be Professional , but have a plan to kill everybody you meet
-General James Mattis United States Marine Corps

Nothing is darker than a mau mau's moo moo.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by RichardAustin
could never understand why Ford, when it bought Volvo, didn't use the Volvo diesel, long considered the best marine diesel.

true, lots of cummins used for marine also.

God bless Texas-----------------------
Old 300
I will remain what i am until the day I die- A HUNTER......Sitting Bull
Its not how you pick the booger..
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Dennis 81082,
Navajo reservoir, the dam side.

N
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
N
I have 2 friends with F350's with the 7.3 one has 300K and the other has well over 500k on the motor. Neither of them have any desire for a modern diesel and they both love that old 7.3.

Personally I am a year in and 15K miles on a '17 model year 6.7 and don't have anything to complain about as the truck and motor put a big smile on my face every time I get in it. The modern diesels do use DEF. Mine uses so little DEF it's hardly a concern or expense worth talking about.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by Dutch
Lol, it was competitive in its time, but 150K? That’s not even gas motor mileage.

I’ve taken three of them to over 300 K, wasn’t impressed. Cylinder kits wear out, lots of blow by, and the the EXPENSIVE injectors go all at about the same time. Not economical to overhaul.

Compared to the Cummins inline six it makes much less power and is less durable. I still have one on the farm, but I sure wish my ex hadn’t wrecked the dodge.

Chuckle chuckle chuckle. Cylinder kits? When will I need them? My injectors were replaced under warranty at about 60,000, but the new ones are fine. I did replace the water pump at 250,000, but it still has the factory heater and water hoses.
A cummings is OK, but I can't drink a bottle of beer in one without knocking my teeth out.
You guys sucked me into mine is bigger than yours. Chuckle chuckle, ain't no winners here!

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
http://www.cumminsnewsletters.com/td/brennan_magee.html

No explanation or justification needed...................

To anger a conservative, lie to him. To annoy a liberal, tell him the truth.

Promoted to Turdlike status 03/17/12

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
688 members (10gaugemag, 10ring1, 12308300, 007FJ, 10Glocks, 06hunter59, 73 invisible), 2,826 guests, and 1,301 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,634
Posts18,398,877
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.