Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
K
killerv Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
K
Curious how many here has had an electronic lock fail. They just scare me for some reason and it seems that is all safes comes with these days unless you order online. Should I be worried? My buddies liberty died after 3 months, they did replace it with a manual which required replacing the door also for some reason. A local store has reported about 6 failures in all the years theyve been selling safes.

I'm leaning towards the Liberty USA series, I can get one locally with the elock, but manual would need to be ordered. I'm needing something in the 30gun range for an overflow of old classic 22s and I'd like to think I've got another 40 years left in me but my thought process is that something electronic wont last that long.

Last edited by killerv; 02/10/20.
GB1

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I have dials and will stay that route. Electronic locks are not for me.

Writing from the gateway to the great BluMtns in southeastern Washington.

Just remember, "You are the trailer park and I am the tornado". Beth Dutton, Yellowstone.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
One of my safes came with the electronic lock, it worked OK for a while and then decided to be a PITA. Finally got disgusted enough to call the locksmith, who replaced it with a S&G manual lock. Cost me $100.00 and money will spent.

[Linked Image]
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by killerv

I'm leaning towards the Liberty USA series,

Liberty & Fort Knox both make decent safes, but I'd take the time & order it with a manual dial lock if it were me.

My son just bought one with an electronic lock, so we'll see how long it lasts.

MM

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
I've had an electronic one for about a decade, no problems yet. But I always have an uneasy feeling about it so imo they're just not worth the anxiety.

IC B2

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
I have a 36 gun electronic lock safe but it has a key manual backup. Key works just fine when/if the electronic should fail.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I use top end spin dial locks as part of my job and have for 20+ years. Top end electronic locks are now mandated. Still, the failure rate for the best electronic locks is 10x or more compared to the best mechanical spin dials (S&G). Those making the rules value resistance to cracking them non-destructively higher than reliability. We have drilled out MANY of the electronic buggers.

I don't think I have ever seen a gun safe with the best electronic locks. I would not buy a personal safe with an electronic lock. I would insist on an S&G or expect to replace the original cheap Chinese electronics with a good S&G spin dial.

Regards,

deadlift_dude
“The very first essential for success is a perpetually constant and regular employment of violence.”
----Fred Rogers
G
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
G
My safes have both on each safe, no failures to date, having an old buddy that's a pro locksmith eases the worries.

Trump Won!
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by killerv
Curious how many here has had an electronic lock fail. They just scare me for some reason and it seems that is all safes comes with these days unless you order online. Should I be worried? My buddies liberty died after 3 months, they did replace it with a manual which required replacing the door also for some reason. A local store has reported about 6 failures in all the years theyve been selling safes.

I'm leaning towards the Liberty USA series, I can get one locally with the elock, but manual would need to be ordered. I'm needing something in the 30gun range for an overflow of old classic 22s and I'd like to think I've got another 40 years left in me but my thought process is that something electronic wont last that long.

My one safe with electronic lock is a '93 Liberty Presidential series... All I've done is change the battery twice so far.. My other Liberty has the manual...

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have two electronic lock safes. No problems, no worries. See how the next 15-20 years go.

Ed
IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
None of my safes have electronic locks, therefore I am 100% positive I will not be having a problem with one. Can those of you that own one say that?

LOL
V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
Killerv: I have two very close friends who have had "electronic locks" fail on their gunsafes!
In addition to the incredible hassle they had to go through to correct the lock "problems" they also suffered immensely from NOT being able to get at their firearms.
One missed out on competing in a week end long 1,000 Bench Rest Match and the other had paid for tables at a distant gun show and was unable to offer numerous pistols and Rifles he had planned on offering up!
NO... I will NOT partake of the electronic locks on my gunsafes, the manual dial locks on my gunsafes have served me reliably and dependably for many decades now.
If it ain't broke - don't "fix it"!
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy
P.S.: One of my friends I referred to above had his electronic lock fixed in a week - the other took several months to gain access to his electronically locked safe and it was VERY pricey to get it done!

J
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
J
From discussions I have read in the past, it seems to hinge on how often you open the safe. The electronic locks are a lot quicker to access; just punch a few numbers and open the door. The mechanical ones you have to turn so many turns right, then so many turns left, etc, etc. Some people get tired of it and just leave the door unlocked which defeats the whole purpose of having a safe. It would seem that a clever manufacturer would be able to offer an option to have both on one door setup so that if one failed, the other would still be able to open the door. I would spend a few extra bucks for that.

Jerry

Minnesota; Land of 10,000 Taxes
G
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Originally Posted by Fireball2
None of my safes have electronic locks, therefore I am 100% positive I will not be having a problem with one. Can those of you that own one say that?

10-12 and 3 years trouble free with the big Graffunders.

Trump Won!
E
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
E
Most of the mechanical dials can be set to one number to simplify things

R
Campfire Member
Online Content
Campfire Member
R
I had an electronic lock for about 10 years and it worked until it didn’t. 😡It cost me $400 to have it drilled out and $100 to have a dial lock installed.

K
killerv Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
K
mechanical it is, may have to check around to see what local shop can throw one in on their yearly safe order so I don't have to pay all that shipping. Just shipping to a local tractor supply was 230, no way I'm doing that.

Last edited by killerv; 02/10/20.
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Originally Posted by Jerryv
From discussions I have read in the past, it seems to hinge on how often you open the safe. The electronic locks are a lot quicker to access; just punch a few numbers and open the door. The mechanical ones you have to turn so many turns right, then so many turns left, etc, etc. Some people get tired of it and just leave the door unlocked which defeats the whole purpose of having a safe. It would seem that a clever manufacturer would be able to offer an option to have both on one door setup so that if one failed, the other would still be able to open the door. I would spend a few extra bucks for that.

Jerry

https://www.safeandvaultstore.com/c...k-dial-combo-and-electronic-retrofit-kit

T
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
T
I have a Liberty safe with the s&g electronic lock,would prefer that it was manual. The safe was a gift 6 years ago so I make due with what i have. I replace the battery 2 times a year when I do the smoke alarms. Don't think I'm not nervous every time I go to get in it. No problems so far,when it becomes a problem I will have a manual lock installed.

Just because you're offended doesn't mean your right.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Several, 1/2 doz. or so, of the fire members have had e-locks fail. Maybe some of them will post later.

Old Turd- Deplorable- Unrepentant Murderer- Domestic Violent Extremist

Just "Campfire Riffraff and Trash"

This will be my last post! Flave 1/3/21
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

590 members (10gaugemag, 06hunter59, 160user, 12344mag, 007FJ, 1beaver_shooter, 57 invisible), 2,935 guests, and 1,259 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,349
Posts18,468,835
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.