Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 8 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I have bought them off the rack during the Quigley shoot and driven from my house to Big Timber to pick them up on two occasions. Once for a Roughrider 40-70 SS, and once for a 45-110 Business Rifle. It is 1503 miles from my driveway to Shiloh, but I considered the 3000 mile round trips well worth it. No way I was going to put those rifles in the mail or UPS or Fed Ex. It IS a hoot to go to the range at Shiloh and hit everything you shoot at with your unfired Business Rifle and first time loaded cases. That is one hell of a rifle and has been to Africa with me twice.

GB1

K
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
K

Originally Posted by beretzs
Beautiful rifle Kurt!

Thank you. But the best part is, it works!
This rifle is build the way most don't like. Single trigger, Crescent buttplate, light weight barrel, bottle necked shell.
But I love this rifle. LOL.

K
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
K
Originally Posted by gunner500
Damn good stuff Kurt, been wondering where you've been, and yes, yourself and one other are the only one's that ever had anything positive to say about the Big 50, your rec of me setting my mould to throw a 1.5 inch 715gr paper patch bullet turned out to be true, my no match shooting self was able to fire 6 rounds into 10 inches at 700 yards, the rifle and load is capable of much better.

The challenge has been made and excepted, I will try and see if my 50 puts deer and pigs down as quick as my 40 and 45 cal Sharps rifles do, it will be a fun fall of hunting, a 750gr flat nosed bullet leaving at 1365 fps will NOT be recovered and will hit those game animals like a freight train loaded with pig iron, they wont go far, if anywhere.

Beautiful rifle Sir, Thanks for posting. smile

Gunner I'm glad it worked out for you also.
I have put many pounds of lead and cases of powder through Calamity enough that it wore out the washboard reamer marks out of the bore. I lost count when we had a primer shortage back in the 90's. I kept track of the rounds shot through that rifle by numbering the primer bricks I only used in that rifle and that was in the low 20 bricks. I never hunted live game with it but it left a lot of round lead dots on the iron critters.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by Kurt71

Beautiful rifle Kurt!

This rifle is build the way most don't like. Single trigger, Crescent buttplate, light weight barrel, bottle necked shell.

Heck, it’s just right then! We’re not all cut from the same mould so it’s set up for you. It looks like a wicked killer just sitting still.

Semper Fi
P
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
P
All this .50 talk is making me want mine more.

Guns don't kill people, it's mostly the bullets
IC B2

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Originally Posted by gunner500
Damn good stuff Kurt, been wondering where you've been, and yes, yourself and one other are the only one's that ever had anything positive to say about the Big 50, your rec of me setting my mould to throw a 1.5 inch 715gr paper patch bullet turned out to be true, my no match shooting self was able to fire 6 rounds into 10 inches at 700 yards, the rifle and load is capable of much better.

The challenge has been made and excepted, I will try and see if my 50 puts deer and pigs down as quick as my 40 and 45 cal Sharps rifles do, it will be a fun fall of hunting, a 750gr flat nosed bullet leaving at 1365 fps will NOT be recovered and will hit those game animals like a freight train loaded with pig iron, they wont go far, if anywhere.

Beautiful rifle Sir, Thanks for posting. smile

Gunner I'm glad it worked out for you also.
I have put many pounds of lead and cases of powder through Calamity enough that it wore out the washboard reamer marks out of the bore. I lost count when we had a primer shortage back in the 90's. I kept track of the rounds shot through that rifle by numbering the primer bricks I only used in that rifle and that was in the low 20 bricks. I never hunted live game with it but it left a lot of round lead dots on the iron critters.

You bet Kurt, I remember you saying before you had way North of 20 thousand rounds through that rifle, just fired a 4 shot 2 inch 200 yard group with my 50 bull gun the other day, pull it in snug, control the torque, and you'll be handsomely rewarded. smile

Trump Won!
G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G

Beautiful rifle Kurt!

Heck, it’s just right then! We’re not all cut from the same mould so it’s set up for you. It looks like a wicked killer just sitting still.

Agreed Beretzs, I don't know all the match rifle weight/spec rules, but, iirc Kurts rifle there may be a silhouette rifle, something about a single trigger and making weight, may have to be 12 lbs or less all up.

Trump Won!
G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Originally Posted by pacecars
All this .50 talk is making me want mine more.

That damn SLOW clock pacecars.

Trump Won!
K
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
K
We all have our favorite rifles and calibers we use for hunting. I favor the sharps and the Hawken for hunting. The two Sharps I use for hunting one is the .44-2-5/8 (.44-90bn) and the other is my favorite the .44-77 Hartford pictured earlier. The .44-90 will drop a meat bulll Bison with one shot and they react differently hit with the 90 over the .44-77 both using a 485 gr original Sharps bullet used in the original for the hunts.
Two bulls I took were shot between 150 and 200 yards and both were hit in the lung just above the heart a couple inches very close to the same spot and the .44-90 he only walked 50 yards and dropped. The one in the photo I hit at a ranged 158 yards just above the heart again. I tend to hold a little high at the rub spot where the elbow rubs the hide because I don't know how much hair is hanging below the chest where the heart is low in the chest. The bull in the photo with Carolyn and me I had to hit him twice, once at the 158 ysd standing and the second shot he was on a run and both shots hit three fingers apart and he stem managed to make it a couple 100 yards before he dropped. They are tough critters.
After one of the hunts we did some shooting at the silhouette targets that were setup on the Ranch and we moved back to 1585 yards to shoot at the iron Buff that was setup and I used the .44-77 with the barrel sights to duplicate the Billy Dixon shot at that distance and it took a 3-4 shots till I found a dark grass spot on the sand to hold for the wind that was blowing at a good clip, held about three targets into the wind and managed to connect with the .485 gr RN original profiled bullet.
One bull I had to make three shots with the .44-77 with the last shot behind the ear to finish him. I used the Hartford .44-77 with a the scope on it and when it was all over I swore never to use a scoped rifle for a hunt again.

[Linked Image from live.staticflickr.com]IMG_1650 by Kurt, on [bleep][Linked Image from live.staticflickr.com]IMG_2508 by Kurt, on [bleep][Linked Image from live.staticflickr.com]april 2013 112 by Kurt, on [bleep][Linked Image from live.staticflickr.com]44-77 Sharps by Kurt, on [bleep]

Last edited by Kurt71; 08/19/20.
Page 8 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

139 members (358WCF, 19rabbit52, 10gaugemag, 30Gibbs, 35sambar, 345dl, 22 invisible), 2,377 guests, and 933 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,279
Posts18,467,645
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.