Campfire Member
S
Just a heads up, Targetsportsusa has Federal 32gr. Vmax loaded ammo for $30/100

GB1

V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
Stratton: Thank YOU for the heads up on that wonderful deal!
I bought 10 boxes of the 100 round per box size!
That way I got FREE shipping!
That is an amazing buy for an amazingly accurate munition.
I have shot these bullets in all of my 204 Ruger Varmint Rifles (as a test and as a way to get brass back when brass was "iffy"!) and EVERY one of my 204's (I have nine of them now plus one I recently sold)!
Thanks again for the heads up - it was a bit of a struggle to get signed up and ordered but it will be worth it!
At less than $6.00 per box of 20 rounds it's not worth my time reloading and buying the components!
WOW.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
Stratton: I just reviewed the ordering site and "free-shipping" IS available on the individual 100 round boxes - it says.
Thanks again.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

S
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
S
no problem, I needed some for my new CZ527 varmint and didn't want to spend a bunch. My order shipped the next day. This price is almost as good as the walmart clearance ammo price.

Last edited by stratton; 02/10/20. Reason: stuff
B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
Now it says out of stock hopefully it will be the same price when it comes back in stock.

IC B2

V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
Bart27: I wish you were closer - my order arrived last week and my careful measurements (length, weight etc) with the couple of 20 round boxes I had on hand turned up "the same" so I will be using up this "cheaper than brass" ammo for some time now!
I bought 1,000 rounds (they come in 50 round boxes it turns out!) and again if you were closer I would sell you some of mine.
This is a GREAT deal on this GREAT ammo - be patient I hope they get some more in for you!
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Varmint Guy,

Do you live around Hamilton?

W. Bill

I'd rather die in a BAD gunfight than a GOOD nursing home.
V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
Remington6MM: W. Bill nope I am just a couple of miles out of Dillon, Montana.
I was just in Hamilton early last Friday (on my way to the Post Falls, Idaho gunshow) though and get through there 3 or 4 times a year.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy
P.S.: I absolutely LOVE the Two Dot area and used to Hunt Varmints around there and Antelope once.

V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
Stratton: I finally got to shoot some of the Federal 204 Ruger V-Max loaded ammunition and it shot pretty well - I actually shot some yesterday and then under better conditions with a "known accuracy" Rifle I shot it again today.
I only fired one 5 (five) shot group today in very good conditions after initial sight-in, virtually no wind, and what little there was, was dead in my face!
Anyway that final "verifying" group measured .654".
I was shooting a Remington XR-100 with a nifty new Leupold 6.5x20 variable scope (with fine crosshairs and fine dot reticle).
By the way, contrary to a few anti-Leupold zealots on this forum, my new Leupold worked perfectly and adjusted "as expected"!
It was 12 degrees when I started shooting and 13 degrees when I left!
And I had about 3 cups of coffee as I motored down to my friends private range/shooting shack (no heat!) 25 miles distant.
So on another day I fully surmise this Federal ammunition would do a "tad better"?
Maybe .500" for 5 shots at 100 yards?
Anyway I am very happy with the ammo and especially happy for that price.
I am "dedicating" this particular XR-100 in 204 Ruger (I have three others just like it) to this "lifetime" supply of Federal 204 Ruger ammunition.
By the way in the amount I ordered this ammo it comes neatly packed in 50 (fifty) round boxes - these are then packed 2 (two) to another container which allows one to pick out 100 (one hundred) rounds or open that box up and take just 50 (fifty) rounds along at a time.
Thanks again on the heads up.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I missed it, hope it’s back in stock soon

100% Public land DIY!
IC B3

B
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
B
I saw that sale - just about the time they ran out. Story of my life! You can’t hardly load your own for that price.

Yours in Liberty,

BL
V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
Hunter5325 & Ben Lurkin: I have been "visually" inspecting the few newly fired Federal cases I have from this purchase I made.
They sure seem to be "okay" and weights are fairly similar.
I do not plan on reloading them any time soon as I have dedicated the whole lot (1,000 rounds) of this ammo to one Rifle and it may take me two or three years to run these 1,000 rounds through that Rifle.
So I won't be giving any details on that for some time.
But for many decades now "I" have had very good luck with Federal brass and reloading same. I do have at least one Prairie Dog Safari planned for this late spring but the Chinese Corona Flu may put that on hold - I would guess I would use up 200+ of those factory Federal rounds thereon. And I had another friend scheduled to do a Prairie Dog Hunt with in mid-summer and again would probably use 200+ then as well.
I agree - it is hard to "load my own" for that price and the 32 grain V-Max bullet has proven itself to me, afield and at the range for several years now.
You all might remember my posts touting the accuracy of the "Hornady" factory ammunition (32 grain V-Max bullets) I have used in my small fleet of 204 Ruger Rifles for years now. I used it initially because when the 204 Ruger was new empty brass was NOT available so I chose that ammo and have shot maybe 10 boxes (200 rounds) through my initial 204's and after that when I got more 204's I used it for barrel break-in and sight-in,
I have treated 8 (eight) of my 9 (nine) 204 Ruger Varminters thusly and EVERY one of those Varminters shot the 32 grain Hornady factory ammunition extremely well!
I have never seen a run of excellent accuracy from factory ammunition in my adult shooting life (55 years now).
Once I had used and "tested" each of the 8 (eight) Varminters in 204 Ruger I went to handloading for them - it was not easy to best the accuracy of those Hornady factory rounds with my carefully crafted handloads!
My off hand impression of these Federal factory rounds is that they shoot rather well but have not so far (in my limited useage so far) quite lived up to what the Hornady factory rounds have PROVEN to do.
I hope the Federal ammo becomes available again and you both get to try them.
Long live the 204 Ruger!
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

B
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
B
Thanks for the range report VG. I did similar to you and bought 1k of the Hornady superformance ammo a couple years ago when it was on sale somewhere. It shot well enough that for the price then, I figured I would be able to sell the brass and just buy loaded ammo, though I’ve a bunch of components here to load my own. I’ve two 204s, a custom built rem 700 and a Cooper 21. Both shoot that ammo in the 1/2” range. My problem is a 22 yo son who also has one. The ammo seems to burn down at least twice as fast now for some reason.

I hope your PD hunt is still a go. I’ve a varmint expedition at the end of May in ID that’s probably in jeopardy nowdays as well.

Interesting times we’re in.

BL

PS - are you the same “VarmintGuy” from the GGVG board of yesteryear?

Yours in Liberty,

BL
V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
Ben Lurkin: Ouch on the offspring putting the "touch" on dad for ammo!
I have raised 3 VarmintSons and been there done that.
It is my pleasure though and a way for me to say I love you kids without actually saying it.
I am so jealous of your Cooper in 204 Ruger - I am always on the lookout for a deal on a Cooper Varminter.
And I am indeed the notorious (wanted in the 7 western states and will extradite!) VarmintGuy from Go Go Varmint Go times - are they still around? I have been kicked off of so many websites I don't remember if I left there on good terms or what.
Oh man I feel bad about the trepidation you have on your Varmint Safari to Idaho - I sure hope "things" settle down by then so you can head out.
Enjoy the Cooper (and the Remington!).
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

B
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
B
VarmintGuy: Sounds like we have the same sons. My oldest isn't too bad about that these days, but I don't mind either way. It's a sneaky way to get them to spend time with the old man.

That 204 Cooper was almost an accident. I occasionally come upon deals that I scoop up and then depending on how I like them; keep or pass them along as it suits me. I was going to do that with this one. The wife & I have a friend in ID with a shooting range so I packed up the 204 for a trial not long after I picked it up. The wife asked when I was going to sell it and I simply handed her the target and said "It shoots to well to sell!". If looks could kill - LOL! Good thing she's an enthusiast too.

I don't know the disposition of the Go Go page. I hadn't been on that place in I don't remember when and just don't have the time to post much these day. I enjoy reading the various posts though, hence the handle. The GG was fun back in the late 90's and early 2000's though and I made a few good friends from those days. Your writing style and handle stuck out to me then as they do now. Keep up the good work!

BL

Last edited by Ben_Lurkin; 04/07/20.

Yours in Liberty,

BL
V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
Ben Lurkin: Thanks for the kudos.
I am happy that the Cooper shot so well that it "made the cut"!
I have done the same thing MANY times myself - buying a Rifle with the intent of only keeping it if it shot up to MY standards.
By the way out of absolute boredom (plus there was no wind) - I went back to the range today with my latest 204 Varminter.
Reminder that the Rifle used today is an XR-100 with 6.5x20 Leupold scope on it.
Anyway there was NO need to go to the range I just has a brain storm (fart?) that I wanted to see how it would shoot accuracy wise compared to the Federal V-Max factory ammo and shooting the Hornady 32 grain V-Max factory ammo.
I was just curious and the conditions were so good (blazing sun, no wind, 51 degrees) that I was pumped up for the shooting.
And the shooting in that pre-fouled barrel consisted of just 5 (five) shots.
But I was thrilled - the group there at 100 yards was little more than one hole and when I got it back home to the calipers in measured .347"!
This is outstanding accuracy from factory ammunition and an all factory stock Rifle.
I continue to shake my punkin head in disbelief of the wonderful accuracy I get from this Hornady factory ammunition!
So with a small (no tiny!) sampling of five shot groups there at 100 yards I give the tentative edge in accuracy to the Hornady factory ammo over the Federal factory stuff.
If more boredom follows I may do more comparison testing of these two different factory offerings - but bottom line they are both VERY well worth the money in my opinion/experience.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

611 members (1936M71, 12344mag, 160user, 007FJ, 01Foreman400, 10gaugeman, 71 invisible), 2,760 guests, and 1,244 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,536
Posts18,453,048
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.