-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Pick a large population area, know exactly what you want, call every dealer in that market tell them what you want and you're going to buy from whoever sells the cheapest.
I bought my first Toyota 4x4 just like that, had to drive a few miles but saved about 25%

GB1

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Toyota has an established track record, and the deals know it. If I was buying a new car tomorrow, it would be a Toyota.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
They didn't come off sticker much when I bought my 2007 Tacoma new. But I felt that I got top dollar for my trade-in so I came out OK. The money I've not spent on repairs more than offset the extra cost. After 13 years and 203,000 miles the only parts I've replaced on my dime are the alternator and shocks. Other than tires, brakes, battery, fluids etc. They replaced the rear springs last Fall at their cost and sent me a letter stating that they would cover U-Joints up to 200,000 miles and if I had already replaced one would reimburse me. I fully expect to get 400,000 miles out of it with no major repairs.

Most people don't really want the truth.

They just want constant reassurance that what they believe is the truth.
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T

Toyota........I'll add my knowledge......

always have had one.....usually a Tacoma.....

Just sold an '05 Tacoma.......was the 2nd owner......drove it 14+ yrs......

Truck was trouble free........had 183K miles on it.......auto TRD SB DC.......

Got $15300 US American out out of it....could have got $15800

But sold it via word of mouth.....no advertising at all......replaced it with.......

2011 Lexus GX 460 Premium w/95K miles on it..$22K high book retail

Didn't bat an eye...selling a Tacoma today is a sellers market...name your price.........

In your search....I may suggest CarMax......do a detailed search for your vehicle..nationwide......

Thats where my Lexus came from......I'll give the 4.9 stars for their store......no issues at all

my advise......look 'pre owned' don't over look Lexus if they have something that interests you/wife....

Tell us what you are looking for.....pic...'11 Lexus I just bought

link..........CarMax...the Lexus I bought..lived in NV & AZ.......++++++++

https://www.carmax.com/car/17809197

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

T R U M P W O N !

U L T R A M A G A !

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
My wife has always driven either a Honda or Toyota. I have discovered that I have to pretty much have to pay their price. I’ve also discovered that their resale value is such that it usually makes sense to buy new. They are worth the price in my opinion.

Last edited by gregintenn; 02/10/20.
IC B2

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by JamesJr
The local Toyota dealership is strictly geared towards selling cars and trucks to Ft. Campbell KY military personal on monthly installments. They don't know how to act when someone comes in and says they want to pay for one on the spot for the best price they can offer.

I bought my 2019 Tacoma last February right around this time of the month. Traded in my old 2008 Tundra for it and paid the difference off in cash. They don’t want you to pay on the spot. They prefer you finance because they make more money that way. They tried to get me to finance it and I wouldn’t do it. Most people think they have some leverage by offering to pay cash on the barrel. It doesn’t work that way...

By the way, they sold my Tundra a day or two later. The only reason I traded it in was because I felt they made me a fair offer and they still made money on it.

Last edited by Dryfly24; 02/10/20.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Like the previous poster said, Costco got me a better deal than I got on my own and I didn't have to do anything except show up and write a check.

Quando omni flunkus moritati
C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Originally Posted by Terryk
Start with Cosco car buying price, then bid it to dealers over the internet. That is probably the best non-drama way of getting a low price.
I live out of "town" and that dealership was 5K higher than an equally distant rural dealer. Rural dealer was under retail, maybe 7%? I can't recall for sure. 4Runner was something like 40K for the version I bought.

I've used the buying program through AAA (same as Costco I think) to good effect. I've found the key to getting a good deal is to be willing to travel, I bought my Tundra in Dallas, one Camry in Ashville NC and another in Huntsville AL. Don't just stick to the local dealers.

I've run the numbers six ways from Sunday and on a vehicle like Toyotas or Hondas it rarely pays to buy used 2-3 years old like lots of people advocate, it just doesn't pencil out.

R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
First car I ever drove (high school: it was my dad's hunting vehicle) was a 1968 FJ40 Land Cruiser. That sucker is still running, and still street legal (but my older brother talked my dad into letting him have it).

First car I ever owned was a 1978 Celica. Over 100,000 miles on it when I sold it. Bought a Ford Bronco after that, but it was in the shop early and often. I'd have to borrow an ugly yellow 1976 Toyota pickup (dad's ranch p/u) while the Bronco was in the shop. After about the 3rd time the Bronco left me high and dry on the side of the road, I asked myself: "what the hell am I doing?"

Bought a 1989 FJ62 Land Cruiser (went all the way to Hammond, Indiana, b/c local dealerships wouldn't budge on price: saved me $4K back then, minus the one way air fair to Chicago and the time and gas it took me to drive it home).

Replaced that with a 2000 Tundra, still running strong, though now used just to haul feed for the ranch and to pull my boat.

Bought a RAV 4 for my daughter, and now have a Highlander as a daily driver for me. Guess you could say I'm a Toyota guy.

Most recently, i used CarGurus and found a one year old, 18K mile used RAV 4 for my son (at a Toyota dealership). CarGurus actually rates the cars they have listed as a "fair deal," a "good deal," or a "great deal." I waltzed into the dealership with a check book in hand, but they would have been willing to finance as well. Worth a look.

Last edited by rabst; 02/10/20.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Have bought 6 new toyotas over the years. I negotiate all deals only over the phone or email. Most efficient for me is email. And if I leave $400 or $500 on the table, don't really care. Over 5-10 years it doesn't amount to anything.

IC B3

Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
My boss drives 150 miles a day. He has put 500,000 miles on his before he sells them.

D
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
D
Found a nice low mileage used one at CarMax. Had it sent to my local store. Checked it out tonight and will probably end up buying it. Half price of a new one with only 44k miles. Looks garage kept and cherry. Only flaw I can find is a coffee stain in the drivers seat. Got them trying to get it out before I buy it.
Thanks all for the ideas...
Erich

Buy once, cry once.
R
Campfire Ranger
Online Sleepy
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by Crow hunter
Originally Posted by Terryk
Start with Cosco car buying price, then bid it to dealers over the internet. That is probably the best non-drama way of getting a low price.
I live out of "town" and that dealership was 5K higher than an equally distant rural dealer. Rural dealer was under retail, maybe 7%? I can't recall for sure. 4Runner was something like 40K for the version I bought.

I've used the buying program through AAA (same as Costco I think) to good effect. I've found the key to getting a good deal is to be willing to travel, I bought my Tundra in Dallas, one Camry in Ashville NC and another in Huntsville AL. Don't just stick to the local dealers.

I've run the numbers six ways from Sunday and on a vehicle like Toyotas or Hondas it rarely pays to buy used 2-3 years old like lots of people advocate, it just doesn't pencil out.

I penciled it out and saved 14 k on a year old Tundra with 11,000 miles and I paid cash for it.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Have owned two Toyotas. Both Land Cruisers. Still have and use a 79 and get offers almost every time I take it out.

1Minute
Y
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Y
Toyota dealers dont come down much on prices....here in Canada there is very little difference in price ( if any) anywhere in the country. Its just the way they do business.

They will come down a tiny bit though. Just bought my wife a 2020 Rav4 and got them down $750 bucks but that was as far as they would go.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by deerhunter5555
Found a nice low mileage used one at CarMax. Had it sent to my local store. Checked it out tonight and will probably end up buying it. Half price of a new one with only 44k miles. Looks garage kept and cherry. Only flaw I can find is a coffee stain in the drivers seat. Got them trying to get it out before I buy it.
Thanks all for the ideas...
Erich

Sounds like quite the deal, even with a built in coffee stain. 1/2 price and the engine hardly has 2 years worth or mileage on it.

Hope it works out for you folks

Geno

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
If you’re buying new look at every dealership in the US. A new truck is a new truck no matter where you buy it. I bought mine for well below sticker in 2014. People were flying in from surrounding states and driving them back, and they were loading trucks and sending them out. Dealerships nave no loyalty so they’re owed none. I see it as buying groceries; nothing more than a commodity. There’s no reason to spend more money on a depreciating asset than absolutely necessary. Play them against each other and get the best deal. Don’t get in a hurry, and spend some time on the phone or in email. The money will all shake out.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
I worked selling toyotas one winter when i own a jet-ski rental business in biloxi . .
Here's how you get a good deal . You go look at what you want offer a low amount - they say -no- you leave - do that about four times and say other dealerships are beating your price by a good bit . It then it becomes a challenge for the salesman to be the guy who put you in the vehicle .

I did that with a new Hydra-sport fishing boat they finally took the bait right before Thanksgiving - sold the boat 2-1/2 years later for the same amout i paid for it . Although i gave the guy the GPS/marine radio and other stuff because he was willing to pay my asking price .
Five trips into the dealership over a period of a month for $9K less than the next best price .

PRESIDENT TRUMP 2024/2028 !!!!!!!!!!

Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Also quietly offer the salesman a ''thank you'' $100 bill if he can get you the deal - i found that works really well .

PRESIDENT TRUMP 2024/2028 !!!!!!!!!!

Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by JamesJr
The local Toyota dealership is strictly geared towards selling cars and trucks to Ft. Campbell KY military personal on monthly installments. They don't know how to act when someone comes in and says they want to pay for one on the spot for the best price they can offer.

Dealers count on the ass load of money they make on financing. I've found I can get a better deal by financing and paying it off in a couple months. They don't like it but what the hell?

g

"I have sworn upon the altar of God, eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man."
Thomas Jefferson

GeoW, The "Unwoke" ...Let's go Brandon!

"A Well Regulated Militia" Life Member

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

554 members (1Akshooter, 10gaugemag, 17CalFan, 007FJ, 1337Fungi, 1beaver_shooter, 59 invisible), 2,466 guests, and 1,148 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,327
Posts18,468,536
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.