Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
I have one gunsafe with the S&G electronic lock. Bought it about 12 years ago, because my wife has a very hard time opening the dial safes. So far I think I have changed batteries in it one time, so probably getting close again. I like that I can program in 4 or 5 different combinations and also delete them when I want too, so I can control who has access to it, and when, a lot easier.

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost....
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A neighbor gave up on his electronic lock after 3 repair sessions across an 18 month interval. Took it back for a refund. I favor mechanical everything, even on my rigs.

I did have key wear out for one of my rigs, but it's 44 years old.

Last edited by 1minute; 02/10/20.

1Minute
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
The Ft. Knox redundant system allows you to bypass a failed electronic keypad. If you figure the $403 option vs drilling and replacing, its been worth it to me. My wife prefers the pad for quick entry & I prefer the dial.

Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
I have dial safes.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Never had a failure but recently had my elock replaced with an old school dial for peace of mind. I had the work done right before a move. Locksmith said it was a good idea because moving is apparently not kind to elocks nor was the new environment (in garage at new house after being inside at old house)

It costt $100 or so and takes longer to get into but I don’t wonder now every time I start punching the code

IC B2

A
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A
I'd post a pic if i had one but I have a graveyard of electronic locks off 2 Canon safes. Last locksmith said he could switch it to manual dial (after Canon said it wasn't possible) and I couldn't pay him fast enough. I will not have another electronic.

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Never had a problem with mine.

D
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
D
I inherited Dad’s when he passed. Long story but Mom couldn’t find the combo or the skeleton backup key. She called a locksmith who opened it and gave her the combo.
Fast forward about a year and the electronic lock failed. It was an absolute nightmare to get a backup skeleton key. Since the Safe was in Dad’s name, the wanted a copy of Death Certificate, blah, blah, blah. It took a dozen phone calls to get it all straightened out because No Habla....
NEVER will I buy a Safe with an electric lock.

Buy once, cry once.
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I have dials and they work fine. I see no need to introduce more risk of problems into the system.

F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
I have 2 dial safes....would not buy an electric lock safe. Yes it is a pain as I get older to spin the dials and see the numbers but....no way would I trust an electric lock on a safe.

IC B3

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C

Brown safes

look it up yer own self.

The rest are a joke..... I can get into them in 10 minutes.

R
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
R
Dial safes can stay unattended for decades and still work, not so much with electronic ones. Both of mine are dials, and that's the way I like it......no batteries to go toes up.

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Mine are both E's and I have had zero issues. The oldest is 24 years old. I have had it stop working because the battery had died. Popped in a new one and all was good. I have gone through maybe 5 battery sets in the 24 years.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
E
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
E
I do warranty work for liberty safe and they’ve gotten away fro S&G digital locks to many issues

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L

I have two Liberty safes that had the digital locks. The one failed and the locksmith stated this wasn't his first one to repair. I had both converted.

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by EdM
Mine are both E's and I have had zero issues. The oldest is 24 years old. I have had it stop working because the battery had died. Popped in a new one and all was good. I have gone through maybe 5 battery sets in the 24 years.

Exact same for me. My safe is a Liberty.

"I never thought I'd live to see the day that a U.S. president would raise an army to invade his own country."
Robert E. Lee
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I bought a safe at a farm auction that had been a dial, then converted to an E-lock. When it eventually failed, I paid "Houdini the Locksmith" to drill it out and put a dial back on it. Since it was an aftermarket lock, it could have been mounted any one of four ways, so he just had to drill at 12, 3, 6, and 9 o'clock and hope he hit the right place.

The third hole worked. He broke like 3 $50 drill bits and spent over 2 hours. $400.00 later I had a safe again.

Always drink upstream from the herd...cowdoc...
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by killerv
Curious how many here has had an electronic lock fail. They just scare me for some reason and it seems that is all safes comes with these days unless you order online. Should I be worried? My buddies liberty died after 3 months, they did replace it with a manual which required replacing the door also for some reason. A local store has reported about 6 failures in all the years theyve been selling safes.

I'm leaning towards the Liberty USA series, I can get one locally with the elock, but manual would need to be ordered. I'm needing something in the 30gun range for an overflow of old classic 22s and I'd like to think I've got another 40 years left in me but my thought process is that something electronic wont last that long.

Yep. I've had then fail. But, appreciate dial backup.

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
E
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
E
Originally Posted by cowdoc
I bought a safe at a farm auction that had been a dial, then converted to an E-lock. When it eventually failed, I paid "Houdini the Locksmith" to drill it out and put a dial back on it. Since it was an aftermarket lock, it could have been mounted any one of four ways, so he just had to drill at 12, 3, 6, and 9 o'clock and hope he hit the right place.

The third hole worked. He broke like 3 $50 drill bits and spent over 2 hours. $400.00 later I had a safe again.

A Houdini locksmith such as myself could look down the spindle hole and figure out the direction the bolt faces and drill one hole with a $10 drill bit

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
We used electric lock safes in the military. We had to change the batteries every few months so our weapons didn't get lock inside. When I bought my own they were all manual. Latest is a Ft Knox that works well.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

608 members (160user, 1lessdog, 10gaugemag, 1234, 16penny, 10Glocks, 66 invisible), 2,045 guests, and 1,220 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,269
Posts18,448,309
Members73,899
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.