Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
R
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
Does anyone know of a biographer for Capstick? Preferably someone that plans to publish a book but I would even be interested with someone who has more than a passing interest in him.

I am looking for some information for a project I'm working on.

TIA

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I knew Peter from SCI and would sit with in his booth and we'd chat while he talked to clients and sign books. We wrote back and forth a few times. This was just before and after he moved from Naples to RSA. This was after his divorce from Catherine and he was married to Fiona. Fun guy and had good banter with the various PH's at SCI. The Safari Club Convention was very different in the 1980s on into the early 90's. There were still many of the old hands that started in the 50's and 60's still at it. They still were less "Americanized" and more colonialistic. They were less refined, and somewhat harder and wilder. There were more "characters". Even Harry Selby would be there with Safari South having a drink in the big tent they used as a display. Peter encouraged me to write and take photos. I had a few things published and one story got picked up in an anthology of stories but my talent was limited and my writing career brief.

Peter interspersed a lot of his background in his stories, from growing up in New Jersey, to being a stock broker to working with Winchester Adventures (I think I have that right) to going to South America (Brazil) to hunt jaguar and then getting a chance to go to Africa. I think he started as an apprentice PH with Geoff Broom in Rhodesia/Zimbabwe. Broom talks about it briefly in his book (read it if you haven't). That's were Peter learned about Africa. Geoff and Russ Broom were born and raised and taught him the ropes. If I'm not mistaken that's where he met Silent, Stomach, and the other Black Rhodesians that taught him bushcraft.

Peter did have a stint as a cropping officer and game management officer in Zambia.

Campfire's own Toltecgriz once shared a camp with him in the early days when Peter was green. Capstick never claimed to be the world's best PH, just a guy who dreamed of Africa and actually got a chance to go and do it. His writings are of his experiences AND those of others. In his "Death" books, he was very clear what were his stories and what were retelling of others. His experience was limited to a few season, so his stories ran out quickly and he used other PH's stories he been told or read about in his own writings. He took some grief for that, but he never - that I know of - claimed someone else's deeds as his own.

Deep down, Peter wanted to be Robert Ruark. Deep down, Ruark wanted to be Hemingway. Deep down, Hemingway wanted to be Hemingway. That's how I always sized that up. smile
Captstick wanted to write and share his love of Africa. He never pretended to be the equal of any of the African born PHs that grew up with the people, the animals, and the land. He makes that pretty clear in one chapter in his "Death" books when he asks the readers "So, you want to be a PH?" (I think Death in the Dark Continent??) He spells it out that an American who didn't grow up speaking any of the local dialects or language, never growing up with all the animals around you, not having local contacts makes it difficult. (Maybe Jeff Rand excepted, though he did marry a pretty girl from Botswana!)

The best source for info on Peter is Fiona Capstick. The best way I know of to get her contact info is to contact Ludo Wurfbain of Safari Press and tell him what you are up to and see if he will fix you up.

There are a couple of other "Fire members who knew Peter. Maybe they will chip in.

Best of luck!

Hatari

Last edited by hatari; 01/31/20. Reason: To correct that PHC worked for Winchester

"The Democrat Party looks like Titanic survivors. Partying and celebrating one moment, and huddled in lifeboats freezing the next". Hatari 2017

"Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid." Han Solo
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Peter worked for Winchester.

the consolidation of the states into one vast republic, sure to be aggressive abroad and despotic at home, will be the certain precursor of that ruin which has overwhelmed all those that have preceded. Robert E Lee
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I know my post doesn't answer any of that which the OP seeks; but, it will help keep Redleg172's thread close to the top.

Thanks for that insight hatari. I've often heard/read the naysayers; but, in reading all of Capstick's books, I came away with an understanding you have confirmed. At least you have confirmed it for me. To me, Capstick was a writer who, in my view, was uniquely able to capture and convey the entire scene, including emotion, like no other author I have ever read.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by deerstalker
Peter worked for Winchester.

Was it Winchester who had the travel agency? It's been a while. Thanks.

Edit- Now that I'm home, I find you are spot on. PHC worked as Hunting and Fishing Director at Winchester Adventures. Thanks agains for the heads up!

Jeff

Last edited by hatari; 01/31/20. Reason: see edit

"The Democrat Party looks like Titanic survivors. Partying and celebrating one moment, and huddled in lifeboats freezing the next". Hatari 2017

"Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid." Han Solo
IC B2

R
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
Thanks - I sent Safari Press an email.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Interestingly an obituary written by a friend of Peters mentioned he had been a Green Beret. I have never seen another reference to that, but occasionally some of his writing implied a knowledge of military matters.

I love his books and was sad he left far too soon. Would love if Fiona wrote an autobiography of him.

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
IMHO, PHC was one of the most talented writers who ever lived. Whether he was or was not a great PH has nothing to do with the fact that the guy could put you right there in the midst of a story - you could smell the sweat, feel the bugs sting, relive the terror or the excitement, whatever the case might be. I loved everyone of his books.

Matter of fact, I think it’s time to reread some. It’s been a while. Thanks for reminding me...

Last edited by Dryfly24; 02/10/20.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Dryfly24
IMHO, PHC was one of the most talented writers who ever lived. Whether he was or was not a great PH has nothing to do with the fact that the guy could put you right there in the midst of a story - you could smell the sweat, feel the bugs sting, relive the terror or the excitement, whatever the case might be. I loved everyone of his books.

Matter of fact, I think it’s time to reread some. It’s been a while. Thanks for reminding me...
+1

C
cdb Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by hatari
Deep down, Peter wanted to be Robert Ruark. Deep down, Ruark wanted to be Hemingway. Deep down, Hemingway wanted to be Hemingway.

I like that.

Don't roll those bloodshot eyes at me.
IC B3

P
PSE Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
I really don't care if Peter Capstick ever did any of the things he wrote about - He's one damn fine writer. I loved all of his books.

I
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I
Originally Posted by cdb
Originally Posted by hatari
Deep down, Peter wanted to be Robert Ruark. Deep down, Ruark wanted to be Hemingway. Deep down, Hemingway wanted to be Hemingway.

I like that.

And I wanted to be Peter Hathaway Capstick!

Don't blame me. I voted for Trump.

Democrats would burn this country to the ground, if they could rule over the ashes.
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Anyone comment on Capstick being a Vietnam vet and Green Beret as mentioned in a obit by Tink Nathan?

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by BWalker
Anyone comment on Capstick being a Vietnam vet and Green Beret as mentioned in a obit by Tink Nathan?

He mentions being aquainted with the M1 Garand, other than that, I've never seen anything else about military service.

You can roll a turd in peanuts, dip it in chocolate, and it still ain't no damn Baby Ruth.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
hatari - excellent post - thanks

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
I loved his books. It's striking to see how old he looked relative to his actual age.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

115 members (44mc, 6mmCreedmoor, 7887mm08, 10Glocks, 7x57Hunter, 10 invisible), 1,597 guests, and 850 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,492
Posts18,452,236
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.