Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
J
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
J
I have a CZ Varmint rifle in 17 Hornet.

Besides my various 221 Fireball rifles, the 17 Hornet is my favorite prairie dog rifle.

I find myself wanting a smaller, lighter rifle for work around the farm. Mostly pigeons and winged varmints.

Looking around the websites, I was surprised to see that 17 Hornet ammo is nearly a dollar a round. Looks like HMR ammo is about 12 to 15 dollars for 50.

I reload for the Hornet so price isn't quite as important.

Will I be satisfied with a HMR for a pickup gun, or should I just buy a lighter, smaller Hornet like a CZ American?

Is there 1000 fps difference? Is the HMR too loud to shoot with out ear plugs?

Any insight would be appreciated.

I am MAGA.
BP-B2

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Yeah, there's around 1000 fps difference. Exactly how much depends on the loads--in my CZ 452 the A17 ammo, for the Savage autoloader, gets around 2800 fps, with the same 17-grain bullets as the standard HMR ammo. My handloads in the .17 Hornet get around 3800, but with the 20-grain V-Max, which holds on to velocity better than the 17-grain bullets in the HMR.

In general I'd say there's at least 100 yards difference in consistent performance, maybe more like 150. The longest shot I've seen anybody make with the .17 HMR was 303 yards--and the guy was one of my friends who'd never fired one before. His very first shot, before he had a clue about the trajectory, hit a prairie dog in the head. Generally around 250 is stretching it on PD's, usually requiring more than one shot to hit 'em, and 150-200 is better for consistent hits, exactly how far depending on the wind.

The HMR isn't as loud as the Hornet, but I still wear ear protection. That said, I shoot my .17 HMR a lot when starting out on a PD town, because the report doesn't scare them into their holes nearly as quickly as a centerfire, whether a .17 Hornet or .223. After the PDs in rimfire range are dead or down their holes, then the bigger rounds come out.

It's a great gopher round.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Buy the hornet...

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
G
GRF Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Jim; my experience is limited to the HMR only so please take my comments with a grain of salt.

The 17 HMR I have a is a CZ, I forget the model but it is about 10 years old. My primary use has been on gophers (richardson ground squirrels) and tree squirrels. Most of my shots are taken from seated over crossed sticks, very effective out to 185 yards where my ability to judge hold over and wind becomes an issue.

Farmers I know who are not gun guys (so they have not been told or read that its too small) use the .17 HMR on coyotes with no complaints.

I would suggest having foam or rubber ear plugs available if you value your long term hearing. Especially if firing from within the truck.

Just my humble opinion. Hopefully others able to provide a more balanced perspective will chime in. (by the time I posted those voices already chimed in smile )

All the best.

GRF

Last edited by GRF; 02/10/20.
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Originally Posted by ingwe
Buy the hornet...

Have you had your coffee yet?

He already has a .17 Hornet. It's in the first line of his post.

He could buy the lighter CZ Hornet, but the varmint-weight model isn't very heavy. Mine is less than 8-1/2 pounds with scope.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
IC B2

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
I like my HMR a lot, but I keep my shots under 175 yards, after trying it out to 250. It runs out of gas pretty quick. It should be fun on pigeons, crows, and other birds, but leave the coons alone.

I`'ve made those 250 yard shots on prairie dogs, but it was not pretty. Keep the ranges reasonable, and it is a lot of fun.

You can roll a turd in peanuts, dip it in chocolate, and it still ain't no damn Baby Ruth.
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I have and shoot both the HMR and .17 Hornet. Mule Deer is spot on with his info as usual. For your intended purpose of light carry-around for winged predators and pigeon, you'd like the HMR. My son keeps one handy to keep starlings and sparrows away from his purple martin colony. Every HMR gun I've shot has been incredibly accurate once you find the right factory ammo. Miy Savage, for example, is deadly with 20 gr. loads but not so much with 17 gr loads. Others I've shot have been just the opposite.

Hearing protection is recommended because they do have a crack to them.

Another good option if you reload is to buy the lighter CZ as Ingwe suggested and download it to HMR velocities. Great excuse to buy another quality gun. 😀

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
To the OP, get a 17 HMR and a case of ammo. Because of neighboring working and hobby farms, I have used my CZ 17HMR for cats, raccoons, and even the deplorable 'possum.
It's up to the task with good shot placement.

My home is the "sanctuary residence" for my firearms.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I've become very interested in the .17 Hornet. Currently it leads the pack of possibles for this year's Contender project. But the Hummer is what I'd choose for what you describe. You can get a SS CZ 455 for about $400 now. Pretty good truck/barn gun I'd say.

What fresh Hell is this?
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
For larger varmints the 20-grain CCI Game Point jacketed soft-point works very well, but the standard stuff (especially the 17-grain hollow-point) also works if put in the right place.

John Steinbeck
IC B3

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
You will enjoy the 17hmr a bunch and it will be great for what you want. PM incoming

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Originally Posted by ingwe
Buy the hornet...

Have you had your coffee yet?

He already has a .17 Hornet. It's in the first line of his post.

He could buy the lighter CZ Hornet, but the varmint-weight model isn't very heavy. Mine is less than 8-1/2 pounds with scope.

John, sad to say, but with the elderly, even caffeine doesn't always fill in the "gaps".

What fresh Hell is this?
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad
I have a CZ Varmint rifle in 17 Hornet.

Besides my various 221 Fireball rifles, the 17 Hornet is my favorite prairie dog rifle.

I find myself wanting a smaller, lighter rifle for work around the farm. Mostly pigeons and winged varmints.

Looking around the websites, I was surprised to see that 17 Hornet ammo is nearly a dollar a round. Looks like HMR ammo is about 12 to 15 dollars for 50.

I reload for the Hornet so price isn't quite as important.

Will I be satisfied with a HMR for a pickup gun, or should I just buy a lighter, smaller Hornet like a CZ American?

Is there 1000 fps difference? Is the HMR too loud to shoot with out ear plugs?

Any insight would be appreciated.

Jimbo, got a rar 17 hmr, got it on sale from Cabela’s for under $200, be just right for shootin birds around the farm for you and the kiddos

Ping pong balls for the win.
Once you've wrestled everything else in life is easy. Dan Gable
I keep my circle small, I’d rather have 4 quarters than 100 pennies.

Ain’t easy havin pals.
F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
I've owned a Ruger 17 Hornet, found loading it a pain, so I didn't shot it much.

My first 17HMR was an early Marlin stainless HB, the most accurate of the 4 I've owned.

Others were a CZ 452 FS, Savage 93, and a Ruger RAR still have it.

Buy a 17HMR, No reloading, no brass to chase, accurate , though some are picky about which ammo they prefer.

F

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
My Marlin 17 HMR is very accurate. The ballistic tip style bullets shoot dime size 5 shot groups at 100 yds. The CCI hollow points not so much. The longest kill I've made with mine was a big groundhog at 153 laser verified yards. Shot him while he was standing 3 feet from his hole. He never made it an inch closer. No exit wound, but good performance.

Ron

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.
Orwell
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Is anyone shooting the 17 WSM? Sort of splits the difference in the HMR and Hornet.

There are 2 rules to success:

1. Never tell everything that you know.
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
I bought a bunch of rifles at an estate sale and one was a low end Savage 9317 , I put a cheap Bushnell scope on it and it is unbelievably accurate for a rimfire. I ended up using it on short range coyotes and dumpster diving raccoons where it has proved unexpectedly effective using the 20 gr. HP's. It is relatively quiet and unless I am shooting paper I don't use ear plugs but one shot hopefully won't cause bad hearing loss.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
HMR great barnyard gun..............I'd take the Hornet for truck carry

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
My Tikka T1x in 17HMR is scary accurate and kills far above its weight class.

P

Obey lawful commands. Video interactions. Hold bad cops accountable. Problem solved.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Member #547
Join date 3/09/2001
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Dang it, I am thinking I need a 17 HMR now.

I prefer classic.
Semper Fi
I used to run with the hare. Now I'm envious of the tortoise and I do my own stunts but rarely intentionally
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
273 members (222Sako, 22250rem, 1Longbow, 12344mag, 160user, 10Glocks, 28 invisible), 1,933 guests, and 915 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,728
Posts18,400,806
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.