Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
I
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I
Need a ball park value on a very nice M1 Carbine I've had for several years. Picked it up from a Korean War vet who bought it in the early 60's, sent it back to Inland & had the scope mount factory installed. Everything else is all Inland original & has 7 GI mags, the military carrying case & a 2 1/2 power Lyman scope. Wood is excellent, Thanks,
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
[img]https://i.imgur.com/vl8a7XNh.mp4[/img]
[img]https://i.imgur.com/69DA3jAh.mp4[/img]
[img]https://i.imgur.com/dzFJr9jh.mp4[/img]

Dick

GB1

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Inland Mfg. was a division of General Motors. They stopped making carbines in mid-1945. I seriously doubt that they worked on any guns in the early '60s. A good high cut wood stock was bunged up sometime during it's lifetime. The scope mount was screwed into the receiver, destroying what was left in collectors value.

What you have is a shooter M1 Carbine. Easily get $400-$500. I doubt that the ceiling is more than $600, even with the Lyman scope.

Last edited by MichiganScott; 02/10/20.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
I
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I
I'm positive my friend I got this from (90 years old) told me he sent this back to Inland at some point & told them to put on the side mount & he also told them to accurize it. Now I have no idea what you would do to an M1 carbine to accurize it but he told me that & also wrote it down on a card that he gave me back when I bought it. I have the card....somewhere!

I see some of the commercial carbines bringing $500 or more on some of the forum sites.

Dick

Campfire Ranger
Online Happy
Campfire Ranger
I'd say post it for what you want for it and see what the market will bring!

For a legit value I'd contact Simpson Limited.

Mike

God, Family, and Country.
NRA Endowment Member

I
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I
Please delete,

Dick

IC B2

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
I'm a major believer in "buy the gun, not the story." Your carbine is a GI carbine modified with an aftermarket scope and mount. Whether it was factory modified or not really doesn't matter since the demand is for original carbines. I'd place the value around $400 as a shooter or for parts.

I mean no disrespect to your friend, but I would wager his memory is incorrect here. That seems more plausible than a non-firearm company doing gunsmithing 15+ years after they stopped production of firearms.

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
As others have pointed out, the original Inland quit making guns in 1945 so someone else made the alterations. It is possible a company calling itself "Inland" did do the alterations as that name had been resurrected in that timeframe. Still, in no way were the two entities affiliated beyond the name.

The story is interesting but only as valuable as the words. Unless there was proven documentation of the work done and by whom, the history is merely a good tale. With out proof, stories told of guns are just that, stories.

Those alterations decreased the value of the carbine by a significant amount too. Further devaluation is seen by the importer markings, Numrich Arms. This shows the gun returned as surplus from overseas and the import stamp would be another devaluation except for the drill and tap. As a collector the gun would be worth roughly $400 as the most valuable parts have been buggered up but someone wanting a shooter may find the gun worth $600 or maybe a bit more.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I think the "Numrich Arms" marking is on the mount, not the gun itself. In the time frame he describes, Carbines were widely available from domestic sources, so it's not necessarily an import. Nice shooter, I'm guessing.

I recently put my Underwood on consignment at an LGS, since VA is likely going to make it illegal to shoot at my club. It looks to be all or mostly as-issued, so I priced it pretty optimistically.

What fresh Hell is this?
T
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by woodmaster81
Further devaluation is seen by the importer markings, Numrich Arms.

Would agree with your and others assessment, however Numrich made the scope mount, not imported the rifle. If the rifle were acquired in the early 60s it wouldn't have an importer stamp, those weren't required prior to '68

[Linked Image from thumbs.worthpoint.com]

Charter Member
Ancient order of the 1895 Winchester

"It's an insecure and petite man who demands all others like what he likes and dislike what he dislikes."
szihn

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
i see even ratty blue sky reimported carbines going in the 800range., or arlington armw.
looks like stock has been refinished quite well, but still cartouches are gone.
drilling for a scope mt, unfamilar with the numrich mount, would decrease value.
still think it's worth more than 400 to 500 dollars.
course the only real way to tell is to tear it down and find out what the internals are.
those mags are not cheap anymore, just in the last week i have seen several places selling the 15 rounders from memory in the mid $20's to about 30bucks.
the all american scope is a classic and has some collector value to some people.
If bought in the 60's, i think that was before the reimport of the south korean guns through arlington and blue sky, probably a dcm gun sold through the nra. as inland was general motors, they were not doing carbine work after 1945.

Last edited by RoninPhx; 02/16/20.

THE BIRTH PLACE OF GERONIMO
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Legit M1 Carbines have been fairly pricey recently. I never like to say what something is worth, because that depends on who's wanting it. But, I'd say it's worth more than $400.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

595 members (257man, 10gaugeman, 1_deuce, 222Sako, 222ND, 10Glocks, 65 invisible), 2,583 guests, and 1,333 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,671
Posts18,456,012
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.