24hourcampfire.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
For my general 16 yard line, skeet and sporting clays I run the cheapest chit I can get my hooks on. If Im in a tournament I will spring for better ammo but over all if you factor in the price of the press and value your time at anything she's a wash at best for 95% of the "regular" shooting most people do.

I use to love to reload, had 9000G's in all 4 gauges, but after buying cases for a few years I sure like the extra time to shoot.

To each his own, the die hard reloaders will say there reloads are better than factory and I wont agree with that but wont argue the point either. For me its cases, less money in the long run and WAY less hassle. Cant tell you how many times after a long day at work I needed to come home and reload so I could shoot the weekend.

I use to butcher my own deer but would rather hunt than cut deer. I would rather shoot than reload, simple choice for me

YMMV

Last edited by passport; 05/19/15.

It�s a magazine not a clip......

Advice is seldom welcome, and those who need it the most, like it the least.�
- Lord Chesterfield. 1750
BP-B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
There is no doubt that the best, hard, spherical shot will make the best shells. I've done some amazing things with Remington STS's out of my 20 ga. LC at a stupid long crossing Sporting Clays station.

Unfortunately, finding that perfect shot is difficult, if not nearly impossible.

On the other hand, I still have half a ton of lead I bought at 11 bucks a bag, a closet full of wads and a small stack of sleeves of Fiocchi primers picked up at 75 bucks. My practice shells, most of them 7/8ths, run just north of $2.55.

If I were still competing, though, I'd shoot the best lead I can find, be that in my reloads or in factory premium loads.

Sic Semper Tyrannis
S
S
My reason is that I can custom tailor loads for my needs like my favorite Pheasant load over pointing dogs is just a bit over 1 1/4 oz @ just 1050 fps that patterns wonderfully. When you can not buy factory then you must load your own.

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
For most stuff, it’s kinda pointless these days....at least for wingshooting. Time vs expense vs offerings vs performance, it just has zero effect on taking game for me....sure, I might get better patterns, but I get pretty darned good patterns and dead birds, ducks, geese, rabbits, etc....and I don’t waste time trying to make them more dead with my 12s or 20s. Other gauges, there’s a better case for it. Custom TSS turkey loads? 2-3 ball specialty buck loads? Sure. Those are small batch propositions, for low volume turkey and big game stuff. I’m not wasting time anymore for a better, cheaper, cleaner clay, dove, duck, or rabbit load. They ain’t THAT hard to kill. JMO

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
Me......I load for a 16, not because I have too because I am well stocked, but because it is fun. Start off with a bunch of miscellaneous components and finish with a nicely crafted shotgun shell. If it ever becomes not fun I will stop doing it.

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I loaded up a few hundred rounds of 12 gauge 1150 fps with 1 ounce and 1-1/8 ounces of #5 shot to use on squirrels and rabbits, that combo is not available in any factory load.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I've been reloading since I bought my first centerfire rifle in 1967 and my first centerfire pistol and shotgun in 1970.

In the mid 1980s when I was shooting in our gun club leagues and competing in ATA registered Trap shoots and shooting 10K or more 12 gauge shells per year, I bought my first shotmaker. That homemade shot was good enough to put me on the 27 yard line for handicap and in class AA singles and class A doubles.

Ten years later I switched to Skeet and my homemade shot was good enough for me to shoot NSSA class AA in 20 and 28 gauge events and class A in 12 ga, .410, and doubles events.

I no longer compete in registered events, but I still shoot about 5K shotshells every year, mostly 3/4 ounce 12 gauge reloads at Skeet.

Our gun club sells components to club members at slightly under retail prices, and I buy my components in bulk quantities from our club. The shot is the most expensive component, and our club sells re-claimed, re-dropped, and new shot.

My 3/4 ounce 12 ga reloads cost me $1.88/box with my homemade shot or $3/box with re-claimed shot.

1 oz 12 ga reloads cost me $2.05/box with my homemade shot or $3.55/box with re-claimed shot.

For comparison, 1 1/8 oz reloads would cost me $4.45/box with new shot.

I also enjoy reloading and I get great pleasure in shooting a 25 straight or 100 straight at Trap or Skeet with my reloads and homemade shot, or shooting a trophy big game animal or filling my freezer with an animal that I shot with my reloaded rifle or pistol cartridges.

SAVE 200 ELK, KILL A WOLF

NRA Endowment Life Member

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I reload to use up everything I bought 25 years ago.
at the rate I shoot it up, i'll be dead before its all gone.

Retired Military Aviation
Former Member, Navy Shooting Team
Distinguished Pistol Shot
NRA Certified Instructor/RSO
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Originally Posted by bobski
I reload to use up everything I bought 25 years ago.
at the rate I shoot it up, i'll be dead before its all gone.

Are the shotshell wads still usable. I was given some Win "AA" 20 gauge wads recently whose petals broke off in my fingers.....and not 25 years old.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
all stored properly and flex.

Retired Military Aviation
Former Member, Navy Shooting Team
Distinguished Pistol Shot
NRA Certified Instructor/RSO
IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by erich
They don't sell 2.5" 12ga, nickel plated BB, F or ITX for those prices. I can load them for about half the going prices for specialty shells.

Yup, and for the stuff like brass and black, hand loading is mandatory!
I love shooting vintage guns for upland and waterfowl, and Nice Shot and Bismuth , etc., are a Godsend to us guys, but hand loading is the way to go there.
Cat

scopes are cool, but slings 'n' irons RULE!
D
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
D
I load four gauges. The 16 and 28 saves money. The 12 and 20 probably no savings or minimal savings. But I really enjoy reloading and shooting my own shells. I have no plans to stop.

NRA Patron
C
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by bobski
its an art that needs to be continued. its part of being an individual and not totally reliant on monopolies or supply chains. thoughts of the ww2 warsaw ghetto come to mind.

This is a great response. In an era of everything tacti-cool, I think the message of reliance and tradition sometimes get lost.

Originally Posted by Archerhunter

Quit giving in inch by inch then looking back to lament the mile behind ya and wonder how to preserve those few feet left in front of ya. They'll never stop until they're stopped. That's a fact.
L
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
L
Getting it from a pretty reliable source that the cost shot could double shortly

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by ldholton
Getting it from a pretty reliable source that the cost shot could double shortly

Why would that be? The spot price of lead is down $.20 a lb. or so from what it's been for months.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Been loading shotshells since I was 13 years old... Just can't imagine ever not making my own. Buys components whenever they are a hot deal that's how to keep your costs down. MB

" Cheapest velocity in the world comes from a long barrel and I sure do like them. MB "
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by dale06
But I really enjoy reloading and shooting my own shells. I have no plans to stop.

+1

There is no way to coexist no matter how many bumper stickers there are on Subaru bumpers!

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
A. I have all the equipment and been loading all my life.
B. Specialty needs shells 2 9/16 16 ga.& 2 5/8 12 ga.
C. I have a life time supply of hulls,wads,primers, and loading ideas.
D. Buy shot when I find a good deal and I can make my own.
E. Buy different powders when a good deal is offered.
F. I try as hard as I can to not be part of the throw away everything society. MB

" Cheapest velocity in the world comes from a long barrel and I sure do like them. MB "
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Why or why not depends on how much one shoots....

laissez les bons temps rouler
L
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
L
Originally Posted by teamprairiedog
Originally Posted by ldholton

Why would that be? The spot price of lead is down $.20 a lb. or so from what it's been for months.

One of the more local and bigger gun shops the guy that owns the the shop made the statement to a friend of mine shot was right now $50 a bag and if he ran out and had to order more it was probably going to get close to $100. Whether that's because he didn't want to bother with getting anymore or he see something we don't know or what I can't answer

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
563 members (160user, 222Sako, 10gaugeman, 1badf350, 1lessdog, 17CalFan, 52 invisible), 2,620 guests, and 1,148 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,735
Posts18,401,057
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.