Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
G
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
G
The stigma is a carry over from the Aborts. To many MIM parts and lack of aftermarket part availability.

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by geedubya
Originally Posted by TheBigSky
One of the major gun dealers here (Scheels) has a nice large display of Browning X-bolts. Out of probably two dozen rifles there are only 6.5 Creedmoors and 300 Win Mags. There may be one 7mm and one 6.5 PRC. Jeez, finding a good 7-08 anymore is like pulling teeth. Now that I think of it, they have a large selection of Bergaras, Seekins, Christianso Arms, Coopers and Brownings and I don't think there is a 7mm-08, 270, 30-06 or 308 among them.

Anyway, I think the Hells Canyon in 7mm-08 will find its way in to my collection as soon as I can come across a good deal on a used one. It will be either that or an X-bolt pro. I'll bet if I stumble across Big Foot riding a unicorn, he will be carrying a Hell's Canyon in 7/08.

I've owned a number of A-Bolts,

but my favorite is a "tricked" Micro Medallion chambered for the 7mm-08.

[Linked Image from i38.photobucket.com]

Hard to recollect how many critters I've taken with that rig

I too have one of those in the left hand version. I bought it for my left-eye dominant daughter when she was twelve. She turns 25 next month and is still hunting every year with it and with me. She usually takes a bigger buck than me. That A-bolt Micro Medallion has been one of the most accurate and reliable guns I own.

Last edited by TheBigSky; 02/11/20.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
While I think they're probably excellent rifles in most ways, they simply don't appeal to my taste visually. That huge bottom metal thingy is IMO, pretty hideous. They're also pretty pricey.

By all means, if you like them, buy one and don't worry about what the other kids say.

What fresh Hell is this?
Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
My son in law has one. He likes it!

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
One of the things I like about the X-Bolts if the fact that the Synthetic stock models come with a very good stiff stock. Other than the "get sticky" Dura-touch coating, they are great stocks. I stripped the sticky crap off of mine and did sponge camo paint jobs on them. when I'm doing driven game hunts, I like using a red dot (Ultra-Dot), on the 30-06. It weighs 7 pounds, 2 ounces as pictured. The ,223 has a Leipold FX-2 6x36 and it weighs 7 pounds 1/2 ounce. RJ
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Nice work!

What fresh Hell is this?
T
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
I don't like the "Euro" lines of the Browning rifles. Looks like a Tikka knock-off. frown

Other than that, my only gripe is the triggers. I'm used to a 4-6 ounce trigger on my precision rifles which pretty much means Remington footprint for the aftermarket parts.

Tom

Anyone who thinks there's two sides to everything hasn't met a M�bius strip.

Here be dragons ...
G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Originally Posted by Sixpack
Originally Posted by Capt_Craig
The entire states of AL, MS, and LA love their Browning rifles. I’ve seen more in those states than probably the rest of the US combined.

This is very true. If you go in a gunshop in MS, there will be a large browning showing. IMO, it dates back to our grandfathers love for original Belgium made A5’s and the BAR. In the 60’s, 70’s, 80’s, and into the 90’s running dogs for deer was the most accepted way to deer hunt. I have seen a handful of Model 70’s in/on dealers racks. Remington 700s and Ruger 77s used to be second to browning but now I’d say Ruger Americans are 2nd most common rifle for sale in my area of the state.

^^^^^^^^^^^^This^^^^^^^^^^^when I first started hunting over in AR with brothers in law and there buds I never saw so many BAR's and BLR's in my life, OR heard as much damn shooting, those guys run dogs in SW Arkansas, holy damn do they put lead in the air! laugh

I spent the first weekend with them walking around by myself staying below ridgeline hollering WTF!!!!! ; ]

Trump Won!
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have a few A-Bolts & 1 X-Bolt, I like them. Some have the lighter Timney trigger spring.

I’m not a big Savage guy, though have an older 110. Not smitten by Remington either, though one Model 7 and a heavily customized 22-250 on a 700 action.

I have a few Model 70’s, a few Sakos, then an older Model 77.

No sense in all of us carrying the same rifle, variety is good.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
That's like a whole other country down there, isn't it Gunner?

There are 2 rules to success:

1. Never tell everything that you know.
IC B3

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Originally Posted by OSU_Sig
That's like a whole other country down there, isn't it Gunner?

Good Lord You better know it Sig, I'm a slip arounder one shot-er, holy crap those guys have some shoot em ups down that way! laugh

Trump Won!
F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
Originally Posted by CWT
Originally Posted by Capt_Craig
The entire states of AL, MS, and LA love their Browning rifles. I’ve seen more in those states than probably the rest of the US combined.

And Georgia

And Florida also. They are popular with the few folks that are from here anyway. Pretty sure my daughter is going to get an x-bolt micro midas left hand in 243 for her high school graduation present in a few months.

Last edited by fldoghunter; 02/12/20.
G
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
G
Originally Posted by sourdough44
I have a few A-Bolts & 1 X-Bolt, I like them. Some have the lighter Timney trigger spring.

I’m not a big Savage guy, though have an older 110. Not smitten by Remington either, though one Model 7 and a heavily customized 22-250 on a 700 action.

I have a few Model 70’s, a few Sakos, then an older Model 77.

No sense in all of us carrying the same rifle, variety is good.

10/4 on that!!

Browning B-78, 300 H&H

Browning High Wall, 45-70

Browning High Wall, 454 Casul

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Winchester High Wall, 270 WSM (not Browning)

Browning High Wall, 30-06 Springfield

ya!

GWB

A Kill Artist. When I draw, I draw blood.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by gunner500

I spent the first weekend with them walking around by myself staying below ridgeline hollering WTF!!!!! ; ]

LMAO.

WWP53D
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
I don't have any, but the one thing I've noted is that Browning doesn't jack around when a new cartridge is introduced, they're busy chambering one or more of their models for it. 6.5 Creed,26 &28 Nosler, the PRC's etc. You name it , their on it. Rem ,WW, Ruger all ways jerk their meat into forever on carts they don't bring out. Dumb F**ks. my line of thought...……….YMMV MB

" Cheapest velocity in the world comes from a long barrel and I sure do like them. MB "
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I bought a Hells Canyon long range with the McM stock. I sighted it in at 100 yards, chronographed the velocity, ran it in a program and shot steel at 550 yards. 6.5 Creedmoor and factory ammo.

Hard to complain with that out of the box accuracy.

I recently put a Timney trigger in it. The trigger did need improvement.

Faith and love of others knows no mileage nor bounds. That's simply the way it is.
dogzapper

After the game is over, the king and the pawn go into the same box.
Italian Proverb

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
No! You can't blame your father in law on Browning...LOL!
As for being Made in Japan goes, my Citori was made there and it displays a high degree of quality and fit and finish. Nothing in the world wrong with guns made in Japan. I also have a Howa 1500 that's as high of quality as any gun I own. And modern Japanese steels are as high quality as there is.

Last edited by Filaman; 02/11/20.

What goes up must come down, what goes around comes around, there's no free lunch. Trump's comin' back, get over it!
J
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
J
I like the Xbolts better than the Abolts

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Originally Posted by SKane
Originally Posted by gunner500

LMAO.

Damn dogs howling, bullets flying, and cold beers back at the truck with each truck seat and dash covered with boxes and boxes of Remington core-lokt ammunition! laugh

those boys have a hell of a time a camp!

Trump Won!
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Originally Posted by DollarShort
The barrels are apparently very difficult or impossible to remove on an x-bolt. Read somewhere it will tear the threads out of the receiver.

Like that they have three different size receivers though.

I think that's a myth that carried over from the A-Bolts, I had my smith cut and thread my Montana and X-Bolt at the same time, he said pulling the barrel on the X-Bolt was no big deal and that the Kimber was much more difficult.

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]

I like my stainless stalker, the ergonomics are good, I like the safety setup and it shoots multiple loads very well. Groups also open up less when hot than any sporter weight I've ever had. You do see Buckmark stickers on tons of trucks down south, they're pretty popular down there.

Last edited by Gtscotty; 02/11/20.
Page 3 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

564 members (10ring1, 160user, 10gaugeman, 06hunter59, 007FJ, 12344mag, 55 invisible), 2,666 guests, and 1,144 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,216
Posts18,466,311
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.