24hourcampfire.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
It depends on the range, which rifle I'm using, the deer's position, if they are moving and if they are a meat doe or a mountable buck. Since I process my own animal, a mid to high heck shot on a meat deer results in a very tidy carcass. I'm not ruining the cape on a mountable buck with a neck shot and those get a heart/lung shot. A crossbow doe taught me a valuable lesson a few years back when she came out at last light. She was quartering toward me, but I thought that she was a shorter coupled fawn of the year and I took a behind the near shoulder shot. What I got was a heck of a long tracking job, a nicked lung, liver and gut and a mess to clean.

My other auto is a .45

The bitterness of poor quality is remembered long after the sweetness of low price has faded from memory
BP-B2

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Broadside tight behind the shoulder, or if quartering then through the offside shoulder. I don't mind a little tracking and want to save as much meat as possible. I've taken a few neck and frontal shots, but the margin for error is a little slim for my liking.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I like a broadside shot. I aim to break both shoulders when presented.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by StoneCutter
Double lunger. Just used to it because of bow hunting. If I'm using a gun and I don't want'em running, hit the shoulders. If they're walking towards me or quartering towards me, I like to put it right in front of the shoulder at the base if the neck. I killed three like that this year. This one I almost missed. eek

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Brian---that's a nice buck. I'm a double lunger also. Bob

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Originally Posted by colorado bob
Originally Posted by StoneCutter
Double lunger. Just used to it because of bow hunting. If I'm using a gun and I don't want'em running, hit the shoulders. If they're walking towards me or quartering towards me, I like to put it right in front of the shoulder at the base if the neck. I killed three like that this year. This one I almost missed. eek

Brian---that's a nice buck. I'm a double lunger also. Bob

Good morning Bob. I also shot his little brother two weeks later. He was walking directly towards me and I shot him at less than 10 yards. Same shot, in front of the shoulder at the base of the neck. That way, if they're quartering towards you, you'll exit behind the opposite shoulder and not get the guts. This guy was dead in 15 seconds. I hit the first one too low and had to track him a couple of hundred yards. But dead is dead.

"Government is not the solution to our problem, government is the problem."
Ronald Reagan
IC B2

CWT Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
First available

Last edited by CWT; 02/11/20.

Alcohol, Tobacco & Firearms should be a convenience store; not a government agency.
V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
Codybrown: That is all I ever try for on game - heart/lung shot - preferably broadside!
It kills rather quickly 6 - 7 seconds and the game animal bleeds almost entirely out thus enhancing the meats taste.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by codybrown
Under ideal conditions what's your favorite shot to take? Neck/spine, Shoulder, Vitals, Other?

I prefer right behind the shoulder so I don't damage and meat. I don't eat the ribs so nothing is lost.

Under the conditions that you postulate, I prefer a high neck shot.

I have killed many, many deer this way. They go down where they are standing and there is no meat damage.

Ben

Some days it takes most of the day for me to do practically nothing...
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Bucks moving around trees and brush often don't stop to pose, when this is going on I try to put the vertical cross hair between their front legs from any angle. When they are considerate enough to pose I would like to shoot through the shoulder quartering toward me.

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by SKane

Well...you are a WI boy. Lol

Camp is where you make it.
IC B3

E
efw Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
Originally Posted by codybrown
Under ideal conditions what's your favorite shot to take? Neck/spine, Shoulder, Vitals, Other?

I prefer right behind the shoulder so I don't damage and meat. I don't eat the ribs so nothing is lost.

Quartering away right behind the shoulder aiming right through vitals.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
I ain't afraid of that frontal brisket shot or even frontal neck shot. That's a dead right there shot on the handful of times I've been presented. Otherwise tight to back of shoulder, broadside. Quartering will work too.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
T R

You are right about the neck shot for sure.

2017 this guy was trailing one of two Does with his head down coming straight to me. I said "HEY!", he looked up.BANG

2017 this guy was walking straight away from me @ 175 yds. Back of the neck, no exit, BUG eyes.

2016 this guy was RUNNING a Doe straight over me... I YELLED hey, he stopped and dropped 24 or 27 steps away.

2016 She, well,,,

THEY WORK

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
I like the base of the neck, front of the shoulder shot. If moving or I just need a bigger target, top of the shoulders. At my age, I try to balance out my "need for every ounce of meat" with the very real chance of having a heart attack while dragging or packing out! I try to drop them, keep them out of these deep holes (some call them canyons, etc...no! they are bottomless pit!) Or the "tricky" deception of Oakbrush ! Add knee deep snow....Wow! And I had the opportunity to hunt Freer, South Texas once. OMG, South Africa and Namibia were far easier to hunt! ha

Last edited by Jim_Knight; 02/12/20.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
If I can choose I like broadside, about a hand width behind the crease of the shoulder mass, and center of the chest.
No meat loss, and I have never had any animal get away or go far with a hit there.

About 2/3s of the time I don't get to choose.......... so I run a bullet through the middle of the chest and I use guns and bullets that will get through regardless of the angle of the body.

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
My favorite shot is a Buck chasing a doe nose to the ground grunting as he runs by. Ribs right behind the shoulder.

L
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
L
head

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I prefer to pop both lungs if given the chance.

There is no way to coexist no matter how many bumper stickers there are on Subaru bumpers!

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J

High shoulder shot is my first pick when given the opportunity. Never has failed to drop a deer dead in it's tracks for me.

As always,YMMV...

Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
563 members (160user, 222Sako, 10gaugeman, 1badf350, 1lessdog, 17CalFan, 52 invisible), 2,642 guests, and 1,147 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,735
Posts18,401,057
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.