Hop To
Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
O
OAM Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
O
You guys ever meet someone and they tell you what their main rifle is and you automatically feel contempt for them? See their factory box ammo on the dash and think- what a dipshit? Maybe I'm just getting sour...

BP-B6

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
27 nosler..I just don’t get it.

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by OAM
You guys ever meet someone and they tell you what their main rifle is and you automatically feel contempt for them? See their factory box ammo on the dash and think- what a dipshit? Maybe I'm just getting sour...

Honestly? Nope, can’t say I have...

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
No. Not someone I met. But occasionally i feel that way about guys on the FB PA hunting group. A few times a year someone will start a post asking what is a good deer rifle to get and there is always that dope who responds "30-40 Craig". Not only do they misspell it but it's also not a practical recommendation. I feel contempt for that clown.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
First time I saw a 17HMR that's what I thought. Obviously I was wrong.

And the Bersa Thunder 380. I thought that must be junk. Wrong again.

IC B2

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Huge magnums in the South.
No, Cletus, you don't need a 300Rum to kill a 100lbs doe at 105yards.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
6.5 Criedmore.

"Live like you'll die tomorrow, but manage your grass like you'll live forever."
-S. M. Stirling
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by AU7MM08

I once made a fellow mad who was hunting with a 300 Weatherby Magnum. I told him that I'd read somewhere that men who hunted with big guns did so because it was psychological............they were trying to make up for having a little penis. Boy, did he get mad.

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
40 S&W

Gun Shows are almost as comical as boat ramps in the Spring.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I'm going to say "It depends."

For instance, I knew a fellow years ago that hunted whitetail out of club down in GA and said he'd bought a 300 WIN MAG for the deer in the swamps. That just didn't make sense to me. A coworker finally filled me in on the rest of the story: he was the camp drunk.

On the other hand my buddy, SuperCore, had a 300 WIN Mag that he loaded down to 30-06 levels and shot 165 grainers from and it was both pleasing to look at and a joy to shoot.

270 WIN is one of those cartridges that put me in an evil mood just thinking about it. On the other hand, I've never met a 270 WIN shooter that didn't seem sincere. Most of them were women, so I guess that maybe the reason I cut them slack.

People who shoot 35 Whelen are my brothers. I keep a 35 Whelen round next to my chair in the family room. I find it soothing to hold.

223 REM. Look, if you want to shoot deer with 223 REM, I'm all for it. I'm 223 REM- curious myself. On the other hand, if you show up in black tactical gear and have a M92 on a drop leg holster, I'm going to strongly suggest you hunt on the next ridge over.

People who shoot expensive 12 GA shotguns have my respect. People who hunt turkey with cheap 12 GA shotguns have my admiration. People who hunt turkeys with $1200 shotguns for turkey have my disdain. $8/round turkey loads double the disdain.

People who shoot Skeet with a deer barrel with rifle sights I know I'll be fast friends with.
People at the range who shoot full-sized torso targets with 12 GA birdshot at 10 feet are folks I want to stay away from.

Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries Lighthearted Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer
IC B3

G
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
G
Originally Posted by AU7MM08

Agree 100%. I'm not saying that these 2 calibers should die because they do have their place. I live in southeast NC and I've never seen the reason for magnum rifles around here but lots of guys here deer hunt with either a 300mag or 7mm mag with heavy bullets. The deer around here aren't that big but I guess they have their reasons.

Life's Tough, God's Good, Pray Hard!
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
What difference does it make what someone else shoots? I only care about what I think about the cartridges I choose to hunt with.

One of the sanest, surest, and most generous joys of life comes from being happy over the good fortune of others.
Archibald Rutledge

P
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
P
Originally Posted by moosemike
No. Not someone I met. But occasionally i feel that way about guys on the FB PA hunting group. A few times a year someone will start a post asking what is a good deer rifle to get and there is always that dope who responds "30-40 Craig". Not only do they misspell it but it's also not a practical recommendation. I feel contempt for that clown.

Dude, this made me chuckle!!!! I too am a member of the PA Hunting FB group. I agree wholeheartedly with your sentiment. At first it was cool, but I think I blocked the feed now. Even the PA Predator hunting group is getting hard to take sometimes. I still like it as an aggregate statistic to see where all the coyotes are being killed.

People post the stupidest questions, which then yield heckler comments like the one you mentioned.

Better to be judged by 12 than carried by six.
U
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
U
I get so tired of all the droning on over the 6.5 Creedmoor. It doesn't do anything the old 6.5X55 has done for a century.

P
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
P
Originally Posted by OAM

Well, I think contempt is a bit strong. But I too scoff at people under my breath sometimes. First, I'm not a fan of the good old 30-06 but that is just because everyone had one when I was kid. But I don't look down on people that have them.

The things that get me are the people that fall for the latest newfangled fad.

Like the first time I see someone in PA (Mind you,we still can't hunt deer with semi-autos and we have no stupid straight wall cartridge rule) with one of the new 350 legends in say a bolt action - I will scoff. My old Marlin 336A in 30-30 will do everything that 350 legend will do on the average whitetail, and then some. Especially with Hornady lever evolution ammo or like handloads.

And the folks that just had to have a new 6.5 creedmore for deer...........when at all practical hunting ranges, the old 270 Win will do just fine. Seriously?!

Better to be judged by 12 than carried by six.
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by Utahunter
I get so tired of all the droning on over the 6.5 Creedmoor. It doesn't do anything the old 6.5X55 has done for a century.

Except it does it with optimized and standardized pressure, chamber, throat and brass dimensions which make it an "easy button" solution for precision with off the rack rifles and this is particularly true for those who don't handload.

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by petemacmahon

And the folks that just had to have a new 6.5 creedmore for deer...........when at all practical hunting ranges, the old 270 Win will do just fine. Seriously?!

Maybe the 6.5 does all that's needed on those deer with less blast and recoil. At "all practical ranges" my 250 Savage will do the same, but I'm a handloading hobbyist and not everyone is.

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
No, none, a bunch of us bassturds here are getting old and will be dead soon enough, I will show no disdain or disgust to anyone wanting to hunt or shoot any damn cartridge, I don't want the sport to die.
Also don't give a rip if a guy showed up here with a Sharps rifle in 22 Hornet he wanted to shoot black powder in, I'd set him up with machine shop Bud to cut him a wad punch and turn down a powder compression die, hell, I bet I could even find him a mold maker for casting his own bullets, the anits love and feed off our bickering and judgmental infighting, don't give em any!

Trump Won!
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
You could, at random, select one rimfire. Then we'll do drawings from a hat. We will take little pieces of paper and on each piece of paper we will write a cartridge chambering. Then place all the pieces of paper listing each centerfire from the 22s through let's say 24s into one hat. Place all the pieces of paper listing each centerfire from the 25s through 27s into another hat. Finally, place all the pieces of paper listing each centerfire from the 28s through 30s into another hat. If we were to randomly draw one chambering from each hat and eliminate the rest for eternity, all of our North American hunting needs would be covered successfully and effectively.

No, it would not be as fun as things are today. However, it would be the easiest and most effective means of determining which calibers should die. It's actually as valid as any other means.

At least listening to and reading about ballistic minutia disagreements is an educational experience, if one can separate the hurt feelings and hostility that occasionally (usually) occur.

Last edited by TheBigSky; 02/12/20.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by petemacmahon

Like the first time I see someone in PA (Mind you,we still can't hunt deer with semi-autos and we have no stupid straight wall cartridge rule) with one of the new 350 legends in say a bolt action - I will scoff. My old Marlin 336A in 30-30 will do everything that 350 legend will do on the average whitetail, and then some. Especially with Hornady lever evolution ammo or like handl

Everything except be legal to use in Ohio. Which is why I'm start my 7 year old on a .350 legend this summer.

We hunt both States, and I don't want to buy him two rifles right now.

Also- who cares. People can use whatever they want to use. It doesn't have to check any boxes lol. Use what you want!

-Jake

Small Game, Deer, Turkey, Bear, Elk....It's what's for dinner.

If you know how many guns you own... you don't own enough.

In God We Trust.
Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
131 members (257 mag, 32_20fan, 10Glocks, 01Foreman400, 10gaugeman, 257robertsimp, 9 invisible), 1,452 guests, and 765 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,589
Posts18,397,893
Members73,815
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.