Hop To
Page 2 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by mathman
Originally Posted by Utahunter
I get so tired of all the droning on over the 6.5 Creedmoor. It doesn't do anything the old 6.5X55 has done for a century.

Except it does it with optimized and standardized pressure, chamber, throat and brass dimensions which make it an "easy button" solution for precision with off the rack rifles and this is particularly true for those who don't handload.

I have both the Swede and the Creed, each with new Shilen barrels.

The Creed is easier to load for, shoots about everything well, some loads super well. The Swede is more selective, not as forgiving, but very accurate with loads it likes.

Both kill stuff equally dead.

DF

GB1

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by gunner500
No, none, a bunch of us bassturds here are getting old and will be dead soon enough, I will show no disdain or disgust to anyone wanting to hunt or shoot any damn cartridge, I don't want the sport to die.
Also don't give a rip if a guy showed up here with a Sharps rifle in 22 Hornet he wanted to shoot black powder in, I'd set him up with machine shop Bud to cut him a wad punch and turn down a powder compression die, hell, I bet I could even find him a mold maker for casting his own bullets, the anits love and feed off our bickering and judgmental infighting, don't give em any!

BAM! My brother from OK speaks my thoughts! Shoot em all!

Semper Fi
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
I took my Godson to Collbran, Co to shoot an exotic when he was 13. Have to be 14 to hunt in Utah ( stupid Law). Anyhow, there was a guy, 50ish, who was there to shoot one of the big bull elk on the place ( at that time, $5500) he was showing me his 25 Winchester Super Short Magnum he had handloaded the 117 Hornady "round nose". We hear them later that day, multiple shots fired, big bull finally down, at the skinning shed, many were barely getting into the body cavity. He finally made a killing shot at the base of the skull. He was so happy! Then had a guy in church who "won" a browning in the 223 SSM. It was not that accurate, he had sticky bolts with the factory loads. Poor design ( and or use) of them soured me. Add 'any" of that old Electric Ammo crap...

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by Jim_Knight
. Add 'any" of that old Electric Ammo crap...

Another Remington boondoggle marketing flop.

They've had their share.

DF

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by Utahunter
I get so tired of all the droning on over the 6.5 Creedmoor. It doesn't do anything the old 6.5X55 has done for a century.

Except it does it with optimized and standardized pressure, chamber, throat and brass dimensions which make it an "easy button" solution for precision with off the rack rifles and this is particularly true for those who don't handload.

Agreed.
Originally Posted by petemacmahon

And the folks that just had to have a new 6.5 creedmore for deer...........when at all practical hunting ranges, the old 270 Win will do just fine. Seriously?!

Maybe the 6.5 does all that's needed on those deer with less blast and recoil. At "all practical ranges" my 250 Savage will do the same, but I'm a handloading hobbyist and not everyone is.

Quoted for truth.

There are 2 rules to success:

1. Never tell everything that you know.
IC B2

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
I won't begrudge a man for the caliber he shoots. Judgement come with how well he shoots whatever caliber he has chosen, as long as it is the right one for the job. Like the guy we hunted with that used a .308. I have nothing against that caliber, I own several myself. But after he destroyed a yearling doe with a raking gut shot and then turned a turkey into a pile of feathers and ground meat, I didn't like how he used that caliber at all. Probably wouldn't have mattered if he was a 50 cal muzzle loader or a 340 WM. He was just a bad shot. Its not the arrow, its the indian.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
6.5x55 Swede needs to die.

It's bad enough we got the 6.5 Creedbros but then we gotta listen to the old timers that haven't a clue tell us about how the Swede has been doing it "for over a hunnert years!!!"

N
o

i
t

h
a
s
n
'
t
!
!
!

Screw you! I'm voting for Trump again!

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the 24HCF.
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
I like my Creed, but I ain't a bro!

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
Originally Posted by AU7MM08
Huge magnums in the South.
No, Cletus, you don't need a 300Rum to kill a 100lbs doe at 105yards.

crazy ain't it, I worked in a rifle tuning shop back in college, had a big guy, admitting he took steroids, traded in his 300wby for the new 300 ultra mag. Bigger the better was his philosophy. We decked it out with a nice zeiss scope, he broke the power ring within the first month manhandling that thing.

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
I like my Creed, but I ain't a bro!

I'm equal opportunity, P.C. and such.

I like them both, shoot them both, kills stuff with both...

Didn't realize I was so big into diversity... blush

DF

IC B3

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by Higbean
6.5x55 Swede needs to die.

Really ? You surprised me there.

Altho I have a Swede, I'm FAR from a BIG proponent or advocate. I haven't hunted it in several years.

There are cartridges/calibers that I have NO use for, the Kriedmore being one, but I AGREE with those here who've said,
"Shoot em all, We need more advocates than opponents".

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
I don't care what someone else hunts with as long as it's legal. I understand the desire for some folks using a cartridge that has a high percentage of DRT kills. High Brass lived in "down east" NC and the desire to drop a deer quick is based on swamps and brush. Not everyone reloads so going to a magnum or a light fast bullet for DRT kills is understandable to me.

The Karma bus always has an empty seat when it comes around.- High Brass

There's battle lines being drawn
Nobody's right if everybody's wrong
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
.55 French Pin-fire.
oh wait................ I guess it did.

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
Be interesting if I would live long enough to see what happens to this blizzard of lever gun specialty cartridges and the "my little pony short fat case" cartridges are doing 25 years from now. My guess is something on the order of the .25 Stevens Rimfire.

Well this is a fine pickle we're in, should'a listened to Joe McCarthy and George Orwell I guess.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The 270 Win is the holy grail of Whitetail cartridges, all others try to compare. In a similar way to the 30-06 for an "everything" cartridge.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Some make more sense to me than others.

If another’s choice in cartridges/calibers ever gave me heartburn, I think I’d just take a Midol... laugh

“Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die.”
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Originally Posted by beretzs
Originally Posted by gunner500
No, none, a bunch of us bassturds here are getting old and will be dead soon enough, I will show no disdain or disgust to anyone wanting to hunt or shoot any damn cartridge, I don't want the sport to die.
Also don't give a rip if a guy showed up here with a Sharps rifle in 22 Hornet he wanted to shoot black powder in, I'd set him up with machine shop Bud to cut him a wad punch and turn down a powder compression die, hell, I bet I could even find him a mold maker for casting his own bullets, the anits love and feed off our bickering and judgmental infighting, don't give em any!

BAM! My brother from OK speaks my thoughts! Shoot em all!

+1

With a caveat though. Please don't try to convince me your latest, greatest new cartridge is capable of stuff that completely defies the laws of physics. We've had that crowd with every new offering.

Chronographs, bore scopes and pattern boards have broke a lot of hearts.
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Dirtfarmer

Speaking of Remington flops, the Accelerator line of 50-55gr out of '06 and 308 Win.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by driggy
Dirtfarmer

Speaking of Remington flops, the Accelerator line of 50-55gr out of '06 and 308 Win.

Not arguing, I never bought any.
ATST > ' back when' I read a few G Ws who said they were plenty accurate for them <whatever that meant, I can't remember>.

OTOH I thot it wasn't a bad idea for those who didn't handload. I never heard why they were taken off market, probably from lack of sales, just a guess.

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by driggy
Dirtfarmer

I have a box of 30-06 Accelerators, never got around to shooting them...

If I want to shoot fast 50 gr. bullets, I'll crank some out of my 22-250.

DF

Page 2 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

85 members (300_savage, 257robertsimp, 6mmCreedmoor, 338Rules, 16penny, 13 invisible), 1,198 guests, and 786 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,057
Posts18,463,235
Members73,923
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.