Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Can't recall ever reading or hearing about one of these; 580, 581, 582s not being very accurate. I don't recall hearing this near as much about their immediate predecessors the; 510, 511 & 512 Remington's. I've never seen, other than photos, handled or shot one of the 580 series. Are they that much different in design or quality than the older (510, 511 or 512) rifles?

BP-B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
581 and good ammo, very accurate combo. Highly recommend if you find a clean one.

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
The 580 series was basically a 22 version of the old 788s. Cheaper wood, finish not as nice, more function over art. Never heard much bad said about them. The old 510s were walnut stocks, nicer bluing. I run across both, but I have never ran across a really nice one locally.

Last edited by killerv; 02/12/20.
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Very fast lock time, stiff action, nice balance. Kind of light, slender , hurts it a bit for holding the thing still. Counting my son's rifles, I've shot 5 of them, all around 3/4" or slightly less for 5 shots at 50. Try one out., if you can. Nice rifles. I had mine at the range yesterday. A guy with a Ruger Precision 22 wanted to trade, after he shot it.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Bought my 581 when I was 14(62 now) and killed a truckload of bullfrogs and cans and bottles at the dump when I was a kid. Ow with a scope it is still a very accurate rimfire.

IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I've owned a few of each and think that the 580 series was a significant leap forward accuracy wise from the 510 series.

When Remington made the 510 series, they were competing head to head against better designs from Winchester like the Models 69 and 72.

Remington introduced the 580 series around the time that Winchester dropped the Models 69 and 72, replacing them with the Models 121/131/141 .22 bolt guns. Even the most loyal Winchester man will probably agree that they were a giant step back from the quality of the 69 and 72.

The 580 series triggers are among the best any American manufacturer has put of a basic sporter style rimfire bolt gun..

D
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
D
I've got a 582 I'm working on. Birch stock, I removed the finish, special walnut stain and Tung oil finish. While I was at it I made a sort of Schnabel for end on the stock. I think it looks good, but looks to be mahogany now instead of birch. I free floated the barrel, so I'm working on getting a second screw in front of the trigger assy, right where that tiny screw is in the middle of the floor plate on the 581, the 582 that screw is there but the plate ends there and it's got a lug under the barrel. Mine shoots good enough for a light 22, I don't know if what I'm doing will help it, but right now it will hold 3/4" or better with good ammo at 50yd. I've got a cheap enough Bushnell 3-9 on it.

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
I have owned and shot both 500 series and 580 series rifles. I recently sold a very nice 540X which Is a target rifle that has the same action as the 580’s. Even with a fantastic trigger, it did not shoot nearly as well as a 60+ year old 513.

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Originally Posted by 260Remguy
I've owned a few of each and think that the 580 series was a significant leap forward accuracy wise from the 510 series.

When Remington made the 510 series, they were competing head to head against better designs from Winchester like the Models 69 and 72.

Remington introduced the 580 series around the time that Winchester dropped the Models 69 and 72, replacing them with the Models 121/131/141 .22 bolt guns. Even the most loyal Winchester man will probably agree that they were a giant step back from the quality of the 69 and 72.

The 580 series triggers are among the best any American manufacturer has put of a basic sporter style rimfire bolt gun..

260Remguy,

It isn’t very often that I “disagree” with you but I’ve never met a 580 series Remington that could hold a light to the few 513S sporters that I’ve had over the years (the 513s that I’ve had will shoot with some of the best .22 sporters I have including Cooper, Anschutz, and others of that ilk) - the 580 series might have a edge in the trigger department but that’s only because the 510 series triggers are notoriously bad. That said 580 series triggers can be altered to be really good triggers but stock they aren’t much to write home about - now 540 series triggers are a whole other ballgame. The 580 series rifles I have have/had all shot pretty good (around 1/2” at 50 yards) but can typically be made to shoot better with a tuned trigger.

That’s just my limited experience (sample size) obviously others may have had different results.

PennDog

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Bought this off a friend about 15 years ago for $100, including the Tasco! Shot a crapload of gophers with it until I switched it out for the .17 HMR. It is a pretty good shooter, a pleasure to shoot. Not fancy, they are very plain. Basically made to kill sch!t. If you are thinking of buying one, I would get the tube fed version as the 10 rd banana magazines are a pain.

[Linked Image]

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

3-7-77
IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by PennDog
Originally Posted by 260Remguy

260Remguy,

It isn’t very often that I “disagree” with you but I’ve never met a 580 series Remington that could hold a light to the few 513S sporters that I’ve had over the years (the 513s that I’ve had will shoot with some of the best .22 sporters I have including Cooper, Anschutz, and others of that ilk) - the 580 series might have a edge in the trigger department but that’s only because the 510 series triggers are notoriously bad. That said 580 series triggers can be altered to be really good triggers but stock they aren’t much to write home about - now 540 series triggers are a whole other ballgame. The 580 series rifles I have have/had all shot pretty good (around 1/2” at 50 yards) but can typically be made to shoot better with a tuned trigger.

That’s just my limited experience (sample size) obviously others may have had different results.

PennDog

I've never owned a 513, just 511s and 512s.

I've never owned a 540 and have always assumed that they were just a target version of the 580 with a different style of stock, barrel, and sights.

I've had a couple of the fancier 541S and 541Ts pass through, but none made enough of an impression on me to remember any specifics about them other than that I sold them for a little more than I paid for them. It could be that I had one of the Miroku 52 Sporters at the same time and liked it better, particularly the non-protruding magazine.

I wouldn't consider Anschutz or Coopers as being "basic sporter style rimfire bolt guns". I was thinking in terms of the contemporary basic sporter style rimfire bolt guns made by American manufactures during the same years that the 580 series rifles were in production, 1967 thru 1999.

I keep three groups of rimfire bolt guns around:

Heavy contour target rifles like Remington 37s, 40Xs, and Winchester 52s..

Higher grade sporters from Anschutz, Krico, Miruko, and Winchester.

Basic sporters from Marlin, Mossberg, Remington, Savage, and Winchester.

I can only comment on my experience and feel comfortable standing by my assertion that "The 580 series triggers are among the best any American manufacturer has put of a basic sporter style rimfire bolt gun." even if my experience is contrary to your experience.

Different rifles, different shooters, different criteria for what constitutes a good/better/best trigger.

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
260Remguy,

Understand the different experience thing and my experiences have certainly been limited - do have experience with all the models mentioned and also agree that Anschutz and Cooper hardly fall in the class of basic rimfire sporters (not sure where I said that though?).

I have/had at least a dozen or so 580 series rifles and NONE of the triggers have been less than 5lbs stock - one was 9😬. Of roughly the same amount of 510 series rifles I have/had the triggers were generally between 3-6 lbs stock.

Really not trying to be argumentative and it’s probably just my unfortunate experience and thus general distaste for 580 series triggers (and actually 510 series triggers as well.....if the 513S’s that I have had quality triggers they would be right up there with my best .22 sporters - accuracy wise) that illicited my response. No offense meant in any regard and appreciate your experiences - just offering mine in contrast.

PennDog

Last edited by PennDog; 02/14/20.
L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
I bought one of the last left hand 581 made. The trigger was heavy, so I took it to a smith the first month. When I got it back it had a clean 2.25 pound pull. It routinely puts 5 of any decent ammo in one hole at 25 yards. It will remain in my possession until I die. After that who knows since there are no other left handers in my family.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by LeonHitchcox
I bought one of the last left hand 581 made. The trigger was heavy, so I took it to a smith the first month. When I got it back it had a clean 2.25 pound pull. It routinely puts 5 of any decent ammo in one hole at 25 yards. It will remain in my possession until I die. After that who knows since there are no other left handers in my family.

Left handedness usually skips a generation, so be on the lookout for left handed grandkids. I got one, out of 4. He's a brain, who would not appreciate my guns. My left hand 581 had a decent trigger, made better with a lighter spring. Pretty sure it had been worked on. Got it used. It is very nearly the equal of my lh CZ452 American. That is a very good rifle.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
they say only 10% of people are left handed. I would say 40% of people that shoot guns are left handed. watch video's, look at pictures of gun advertisments. I would say more than half of the people in those are left handed. last time I was at the gun range 3 out of 9 were left handed along the shooting benches. I dunno if being left handed makes you more prone to be a shooter. If I was left handed I actually think I would try to learn to shoot right handed to save the hassle.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by cumminscowboy
they say only 10% of people are left handed. I would say 40% of people that shoot guns are left handed. watch video's, look at pictures of gun advertisments. I would say more than half of the people in those are left handed. last time I was at the gun range 3 out of 9 were left handed along the shooting benches. I dunno if being left handed makes you more prone to be a shooter. If I was left handed I actually think I would try to learn to shoot right handed to save the hassle.

I got my left hand wife a couple of left hand bolt rifles. I had never had one. Made a believer out of me. Shot a few deer right handed, to get around brush and stuff. Better angle. Wasn't easy..

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Well, I am 69 with a 2 year old granddaughter and a grandson to be born any day now. I have given my son instructions regarding the passing down of my left hand guns. Maybe the grandson will be left handed, if so he will hit the jackpot and get any of my left handed guns he wants. A couple will go to friends and in-laws, but the family can sell what they can't use and put the money toward buying something they desire.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I have a 541 THB and the first shot out of a cold barrel is always high and left. It doesn't matter if the barrel has been fouled previously, if the barrel is cold, it throws the first shot. Knowing this, it is ok as a target gun as I would just dump a few rounds downrange before engaging a target, as a squirrel hunting gun, it's useless. I've bedded the action and free floated the barrel with no improvement. I've heard this is not uncommon for the 500 series Remington rifles.

Last edited by cooper57m; 02/17/20.
V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
Cooper57m: I have several Remington 500 series rimfire Rifles (including two 541-T's!) and NONE of them exhibit this "eccentricity" that you describe.
I am going to pay more attention to your reported phenomenon - as I use them for small game and Varminting almost exclusively and once they are "sighted in" at the range and ammo decided on - they just get used on said game.
Approximately how "high and left" is the first round?
Thanks for any further info.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by cumminscowboy

Next time your at the range shoot all left handed then tell us how that worked out for ya.
Better yet try it hunting in the field

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
196 members (32_20fan, 257_X_50, 1minute, 300_savage, 204guy, 10gaugemag, 27 invisible), 2,077 guests, and 971 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,726
Posts18,400,645
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.