Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
T
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
T
We are sitting right at 55” of snowfall in the last 7 days here, high up in the Madison Range. Not unprecedented but relatively unusual. My shovel as well as my back are getting quite the workout. If it weren’t for Summer and Fall, my wife and I would relocate next year when my son leaves the nest for college. But the Summer and Fall make it all worth it. Shovel on my friends. Spring is only 2 months away.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

3-7-77
GB1

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I'd rather sweat than shovel.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
be careful

shoveling snow is a noted cause of heart attacks

have you paid your dues, can you moan the blues, can you bend them guitar strings
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Powered snow removal is the only way to go. I'll shovel a short sidewalk but that's my limit and even then I generally try the leaf blower first. Four wheeler with plow or the UTV with plow come out pretty quick at my place.

The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits. Albert Einstein
H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
Shoveling snow breaks boredom. It also helps keep one in shape. Use a regular square point shovel and save the back. Big size snow shovels get heavy, when the snow settles!

Last edited by Heym06; 02/12/20.
IC B2

L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
8 inches on the deck overnight, still coming down. Or as my wife puts it "above the Dachshund". That I shovel, or rather, push off the edges. The snow that is. Snow blowers or plows be your friend, otherwise

Between two places, I have a half acre or so of driveway and parking lot to clear later. Snowblower. About 4-6 hours, depending on depth and density, including on and off loading the snow blower on the trailer and hitching up, putting away.

Used to hire a plow guy when we were in Kotzebue, but the guy started cheating - charging us for both places when he only cleared one - and that sometimes 2- 3 days for him to get to, inconveniencing our renters. Bounced him quick when we retired and moved home again, and bought the snow blower. Good exercise. I clear enough at home to get to the rentals, then come home and finish ours. And do a neighbor's drive as well.

I hate it. Should buy a truck plow. Or something for the 4-wheeler. More fun!

Last edited by las; 02/12/20.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B

Moved to WY last March, gave NH based snowblower to son. Never got around to buying a new one. Over the last week I've regretted that.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
That's why God invented Huskie's and Troy-Bilts.

1Minute
L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
Oh yeah, Wunderground says this snowfall should die back about 3pm, pick up again 5-7, for a total accumulation of 2.3 inches. Did I mention 8 inches already?

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
I'll be moving to where I don't have to shovel snow. You can keep this schit. There are tons of places to visit that are nice in summer and fall.

Camp is where you make it.
IC B3

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by Boise
Powered snow removal is the only way to go. I'll shovel a short sidewalk but that's my limit and even then I generally try the leaf blower first. Four wheeler with plow or the UTV with plow come out pretty quick at my place.

How often do you have to shovel/plow/snowblow?

Last edited by tzone; 02/12/20.

Camp is where you make it.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Bob_H_in_NH

Moved to WY last March, gave NH based snowblower to son. Never got around to buying a new one. Over the last week I've regretted that.

Welcome to Wyoming, Bob. grin

[Linked Image]
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
This is the third straight year that we’ve had very little snow. Not that I’m complaining.
When I lived at the foot of Pleasantville Mountain, I had a lot more driveway and a lot more snow. Too much to shovel, so I paid my buddy to keep me plowed out.
Over here in the valley now, lots less of snow and driveway, not to mention it’s paved, so it melts pretty quick if you get a little sun.
It’s amazing what 30 miles and a couple hundred feet less in elevation will do, weather wise.
7mm

"Preserving the Constitution, fighting off the nibblers and chippers, even nibblers and chippers with good intentions, was once regarded by conservatives as the first duty of the citizen. It still is." � Wesley Pruden

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
A snow blower is one of the best items I've ever bought. After owning one, I wish I had bought one 30 years earlier and can't understand why I didn't. On a related note, I don't understand why a couple of local teenagers don't buy a snow blower and head house to house after a snowfall. A young and pseudo-ambitious person could make several thousand a winter for relatively easy work just going door to door. Heck, when I was a kid, we did do that with shovels. I don't think I've ever had anybody knock on my door offering to clear the snow for payment. Sad times.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
JOG Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by TheBigSky
I don't think I've ever had anybody knock on my door offering to clear the snow for payment. Sad times.

Worse than sad. I've got a 12-year old kid down the road with an advertising sign that lists his mobile number...

Forgive me my nonsense, as I also forgive the nonsense of those that think they talk sense.
Robert Frost
K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
I spent about an hour this morning on 4wheeler with plow. I plow our gravel city street/lane for six of us. I had to start with edges in order to give enough room to move center snow out.
I am about maxed on snowbank height.
If we get more we may need a truck plow to push it back further.
I once asked my wife why we owned a pan that didn’t fit in dishwasher. I am about to the point with sidewalks that don’t fit a 4wheeler with plow.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Simple little 5 foot blade up and down with the winch on my 700 Grizzly atv. If you've already got an atv probably a third the cost of a snow blower its a no brainer. Provided you already have the atv of course. I may not have gone looking for a plow but one came with my machine when I bought it used. Glad about that we've had a couple good snow years, I do my drive and a couple few neighbours and the cul de sac its actually fun and scores brownie points in the hood ta boot ...

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Originally Posted by TheBigSky
A snow blower is one of the best items I've ever bought. After owning one, I wish I had bought one 30 years earlier and can't understand why I didn't. On a related note, I don't understand why a couple of local teenagers don't buy a snow blower and head house to house after a snowfall. A young and pseudo-ambitious person could make several thousand a winter for relatively easy work just going door to door. Heck, when I was a kid, we did do that with shovels. I don't think I've ever had anybody knock on my door offering to clear the snow for payment. Sad times.

I kind of grew up outside of suburbia, but not too far out in the country. More residential, but lots from 1 to 20 acres. A buddy of mine's father had an old Ford tractor with a blade on the rear and they'd put chains on it. When we were in our teens, whenever we'd have a good snow, he'd get on the tractor and go door to door plowing driveways. As a 15 or 16 year old, that dude would clean up in a couple of days with thousands of dollars in his pockets.

Last edited by StoneCutter; 02/12/20.

"Government is not the solution to our problem, government is the problem."
Ronald Reagan
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
7.5 western pro plow on the Silverado and a 12 pack... snow plowing at my house is fun....

I work harder than a ugly stripper....
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Too old to shovel snow, Next year going to electric start self propelled snow blower, which will assure I'll never see snow again. grin
Wish I had some way of knowing I should have done it before this winter.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

113 members (44mc, 7887mm08, 6mmCreedmoor, 35, 338rcm, 7x57Hunter, 15 invisible), 1,000 guests, and 761 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,221
Posts18,447,504
Members73,899
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.