Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
TPCOLLINS, you were thinking about a semi-auto, but do you have any idea what your wife was thinking? Has she got any experience with handguns at all. I've taught several handgun classes for women and they go for revolvers pretty easily. One of the nicest triggers out there on a revolver is on a Ruger LCR. Don't want a snubby, which are harder to shoot, get her a Ruger LCRx3" in 38 special. They are nice revolvers. My wife and a friend of hers really like their Ruger LCR. We have Ruger Six series 4" barrels hid around the house. She likes them all. But she also carries a stainless Taurus 85 in her car. Another nice gun might be the Taurus 856 coming out in the defender series in 3" barrel. It's a 6 shooter. There are a lot of good revolvers out there. Give her a chance at them. Someone mentioned a S&W mod 60 3" and they are a nice gun. Load any of them with 38 Special +P, and she's good to go.

If you think she needs to try a semi auto, In no particular order I'd try a Ruger SR22, S&W M&P Compact. Ruger LCR II 22LR, Ruger 22/45 4". Leave them loaded and ready to rock and roll. Get her to an NRA Women on Target class ASAP.

NRA LIFE MEMBER
GOD BLESS OUR TROOPS
ESPECIALLY THE SNIPERS!
"Suppose you were an idiot And suppose you were a member of Congress... But I repeat myself."
-Mark Twain
BP-B2

I
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
I
My wife really likes her Ruger SR22. She shoots it ok but not nearly as often as she should. I like it so much I would buy one but they are 400 bucks. already. Might still buy one. They really fit nice and easy to shoot but it does jamb a lot and that bothers me. I might give it a real good cleaning but it jambed pretty much from the beginning . It could likely be the ammo. As for killing power, when I was a kid, I saw my uncle kill a cow with a 22 . The first shot stunned it but the second shot put it down.

But the fruits of the spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness,faithfulness, Gentleness and self control. Against such things there is no law. Galations 5: 22&23
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Ruger LCR 22 is the only choice she will be comfortable with that will work correctly in a gunfight for someone who knows nothing about guns.

Point, pull the trigger. Keep pulling until you're done. Smooth trigger pull, no hammers to snag or bite, no slides to rack, no worry about the lack of reliability in rimfire ammo, no recoil.

Her engagement range literally needs to be 10 feet, or usually much less. She won't miss much at that range.

Use CCI Velocitors.

T
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
T
Kel-Tec PMR 30 shooting Hornady's 45 grain self-defense load.

https://www.alloutdoor.com/2013/09/18/kel-tec-pmr-30-22-magnum-pistol-review/

Tarquin
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Here's a link to a good pocket pistol artical. lots of data.

https://www.luckygunner.com/lounge/is-25-acp-literally-the-worst-self-defense-cartridge/

IC B2

T
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by Cariboujack
TPCOLLINS, you were thinking about a semi-auto, but do you have any idea what your wife was thinking? Has she got any experience with handguns at all. I've taught several handgun classes for women and they go for revolvers pretty easily. One of the nicest triggers out there on a revolver is on a Ruger LCR.

I should have stated she’s about 4’10” and 92 pounds soaking wet, small build and arthritis in her hands, and will be 72 in April.

She shot my Ruger Mark II Target .22 at the range several years ago and did really well with it. I let her shoot my 50+ year old .32 revolver and she didn’t like the kick.

My .40 Springfield XD is way too much for her, and I think my Ruger LC9s would have too much recoil for her as well. My main conceit is a Ruger LCP .380 and even with the Rossi trigger upgrade it would be too much for her to pull.

Whatever she gets it will have to be a light trigger - the Glock G44 .22 today had the lightest trigger pull I’ve tried in a while, but I’ll let her decide what she feels is the most comfortable with.

Thanks for the help.

Last edited by tpcollins; 02/11/20.
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
We have an early S&W .22 that was made by Walther in Germany. Sweet handgun. Wife can shoot and shoot and shoot without getting sore handed and she can operate the slide. She also has a M&P Compact 9, an Airweight and a LCP .380. Her favorite to carry is the Airweight with Double Tap 125gr. Easy. Light. Has some recoil but any event she's envolved in will probably be close enough for it to go minute of gut. LCP is the purse gun with Critical Defense. The 9mm rides in her console full of 115 Silvertips with an extra mag with same. In reality she will never have to operate the slide of the 9. After 13 rounds somethings going to be changed. Plus the slide locks back on the last round. Dump the empty, stuff the full, push-pull the quarter inch of slide motion required to make it hot again or press the lever. Sure things can go wrong but we're looking for the best way to make them go right. But she's sold on the Airweight because it's easy.

For what you ask a .22 auto is easy as well. The S&W with a full mag will be a lot better than many other options. I would not feel naked at all carrying the M&P .22. Take her to a good range and let her try them. The S&W EZ mentioned may be what suits her best. I'd be fine carrying it too. But back to the .22, if she wants one find the most reliable ammo that works every time even if it's Match. Tell her to look the bad guy in the eyes and shoot where she's looking. But a rapid stream of long rifles to the chest will be a good option as well. Kinda like a load of buckshot delivered one pellet at a time. Good luck

“When Tyranny becomes Law, Rebellion becomes Duty”

Colossians 3:17 (New King James Version)
"And whatever you do in word or deed, do all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through Him."
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Anyone finding 22lr inadequate, especially for the weaker sorts, is simply showing a lack of experience.

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The tip-up barrel Berettas would be good to look at

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Originally Posted by tpcollins
Originally Posted by Cariboujack
TPCOLLINS, you were thinking about a semi-auto, but do you have any idea what your wife was thinking? Has she got any experience with handguns at all. I've taught several handgun classes for women and they go for revolvers pretty easily. One of the nicest triggers out there on a revolver is on a Ruger LCR.

I should have stated she’s about 4’10” and 92 pounds soaking wet, small build and arthritis in her hands, and will be 72 in April.

She shot my Ruger Mark II Target .22 at the range several years ago and did really well with it. I let her shoot my 50+ year old .32 revolver and she didn’t like the kick.

My .40 Springfield XD is way too much for her, and I think my Ruger LC9s would have too much recoil for her as well. My main conceit is a Ruger LCP .380 and even with the Rossi trigger upgrade it would be too much for her to pull.

Whatever she gets it will have to be a light trigger - the Glock G44 .22 today had the lightest trigger pull I’ve tried in a while, but I’ll let her decide what she feels is the most comfortable with.

Thanks for the help.

Get the Ruger LCR 22.

IC B3

D
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
D
I am in the camp that supports taking her to a sporting goods store and letting her handle and operate the controls of different pistols, don't try to force what you like on her. While the idea of going to a gun range and renting sounds good on the surface but the ones I have been in have only had a couple of choices and they were both semi-autos, not really enough to make an informed decision.

I was in a small local gunshop a while back and an older wife and husband were at the counter looking at pistols for her, both the husband and salesman were pushing semi-autos and she was handling and attempting to operate various ones and the confusion on the wifes face and inability to try to comprehend all of the instructions of operating they were pouring at her it was obvious that enthusiasm was waning. After watching all of this for about 15 minutes I couldn't keep quiet any longer, I politely asked if I could make a suggestion and they all agreed. I had the salesman show her a snubby revolver, I put it in her hand and told her all you have to do to shoot this is either pull back the hammer and pull the trigger or just pull the trigger - her face lit up like someone had just turned a light on, with no hesitation at all she said this is the one I want, I don't have to worry about remembering all of the different things I have to do to make it shoot. In observing similar scenes at gun counters it seems as though the husband generally pushes the wife to buy the pistol he would like to have rather than what may work well for the woman.

A S&W stubby revolver single/double action with an exposed hammer in 22 LR would be my recommendation, they are intuitive, easy to learn to operate. And easy to learn to operate without a learning curve, all you have to do is either pull back the hammer or pull the trigger either way they will fire.

drover

223 Rem, my favorite cartridge - you can't argue with truckloads of dead PD's and gophers.

24hourcampfire.com - The site where there is a problem for every solution.

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
I'm not an advocate for 22 for defensive use. But, if I were going that way, I'd take a Ruger 22/45 Lite.

I'd much rather go the SW 380 EZ route though.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Mine carries an SR22 loaded with stingers.

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
I worked 11 GSW as a paramedic, when a person was killed with a single hit to the torso from a .22
I didn't see the shooting, I got there five minutes later, I don't know how quickly he dropped after he got hit,
but he wasn't doing too well when I got there.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
https://www.luckygunner.com/lounge/the-best-22lr-and-22-magnum-ammo-for-concealed-carry/

Better to shoot a .22 comfortably than to not use a larger caliber because it does not feel good. Remember the intent is to make the threat go AWAY does not have to stop them in there tracks, just turn them away.

U
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
U
Another point, some here have advocated for the G44. While I'm a Glock fan, I disagree. It's the same size as the 19. I have a 19 and love it, but many females have smaller hands and find the grip diameter too large. In the past year, I don't know how many times I've had couples come off the range after shooting the man's 19 and the woman saying she wanted to buy one, but had a "I'm not sure" look on her face. I measure her hand against mine and if it's appreciable smaller than mine, I pull the G43x and G48 out of the display case. As soon as they hold it, they get a smile on their face and say "I want THIS one". Works every time.

DMc Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Bristoe

Wow! That's a beauty!

Make Gitmo Great Again!!
Who gave the order to stop counting votes in the swing states on the night of November 3/4, 2020?
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by chesterwy
Mine carries an SR22 loaded with stingers.

There is no advantage to Stingers in a barrel that short.

One shot, one kill........ It saves a lot of ammo!
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger

Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
669 members (1Akshooter, 1beaver_shooter, 10gaugemag, 17CalFan, 12344mag, 72 invisible), 3,002 guests, and 1,436 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,673
Posts18,399,532
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.