Hop To
Page 6 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by Snyper
Originally Posted by chesterwy
Mine carries an SR22 loaded with stingers.

There is no advantage to Stingers in a barrel that short.

OK

BP-B2

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Oh yeah, I worked 12 other GSW, where a person got two torso hits from the .22, and we took them to the morgue.
A nasty, lethal little round.

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by Snyper
Originally Posted by chesterwy
Mine carries an SR22 loaded with stingers.

There is no advantage to Stingers in a barrel that short.

Oh?

"I can't be canceled, because, I don't give a fuuck!"
--- Kid Rock 2022

Holocaust Deniers, the ultimate perverted dipchits: Bristoe, TheRealHawkeye, stophel, Ghostinthemachine, anyone else?
C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Originally Posted by DakotaDeer
Originally Posted by tpcollins
Originally Posted by Cariboujack
TPCOLLINS, you were thinking about a semi-auto, but do you have any idea what your wife was thinking? Has she got any experience with handguns at all. I've taught several handgun classes for women and they go for revolvers pretty easily. One of the nicest triggers out there on a revolver is on a Ruger LCR.

I should have stated she’s about 4’10” and 92 pounds soaking wet, small build and arthritis in her hands, and will be 72 in April.

She shot my Ruger Mark II Target .22 at the range several years ago and did really well with it. I let her shoot my 50+ year old .32 revolver and she didn’t like the kick.

My .40 Springfield XD is way too much for her, and I think my Ruger LC9s would have too much recoil for her as well. My main conceit is a Ruger LCP .380 and even with the Rossi trigger upgrade it would be too much for her to pull.

Whatever she gets it will have to be a light trigger - the Glock G44 .22 today had the lightest trigger pull I’ve tried in a while, but I’ll let her decide what she feels is the most comfortable with.

Thanks for the help.

Get the Ruger LCR 22.

I think she should get a chance to try the trigger out for sure. It also comes in the LCRx3" version. In the rimfire the trigger is a little harder but it still beats any of the other 22 Revolvers on the market. If the 32 was a little much for her, the reasonable step down is a 22 LR. Then the decision is which venue it needs to be in. Easy to try out a Ruger in a gun shop and see if she can handle it, if she can't pull the trigger, then we're back to the semi-auto. It's a matter of which one.

NRA LIFE MEMBER
GOD BLESS OUR TROOPS
ESPECIALLY THE SNIPERS!
"Suppose you were an idiot And suppose you were a member of Congress... But I repeat myself."
-Mark Twain
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Originally Posted by drover
I am in the camp that supports taking her to a sporting goods store and letting her handle and operate the controls of different pistols, don't try to force what you like on her. While the idea of going to a gun range and renting sounds good on the surface but the ones I have been in have only had a couple of choices and they were both semi-autos, not really enough to make an informed decision.

I was in a small local gunshop a while back and an older wife and husband were at the counter looking at pistols for her, both the husband and salesman were pushing semi-autos and she was handling and attempting to operate various ones and the confusion on the wifes face and inability to try to comprehend all of the instructions of operating they were pouring at her it was obvious that enthusiasm was waning. After watching all of this for about 15 minutes I couldn't keep quiet any longer, I politely asked if I could make a suggestion and they all agreed. I had the salesman show her a snubby revolver, I put it in her hand and told her all you have to do to shoot this is either pull back the hammer and pull the trigger or just pull the trigger - her face lit up like someone had just turned a light on, with no hesitation at all she said this is the one I want, I don't have to worry about remembering all of the different things I have to do to make it shoot. In observing similar scenes at gun counters it seems as though the husband generally pushes the wife to buy the pistol he would like to have rather than what may work well for the woman.

A S&W stubby revolver single/double action with an exposed hammer in 22 LR would be my recommendation, they are intuitive, easy to learn to operate. And easy to learn to operate without a learning curve, all you have to do is either pull back the hammer or pull the trigger either way they will fire.

drover

While I agree with your turn toward the revolver, technically you are teaching her two different manual of arms if you want her to shoot both single- and double-action at will.

Make life simple: Ruger LCR 22 which is dao and has no ridiculous external hammer to confuse anyone. Point and pull trigger. If needed, do it again. If needed, do it 8 times in a row.

Use Velocitors not Stingers.

Last edited by DakotaDeer; 02/12/20.
IC B2

L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
I think most wives would be better served by expert instruction. There is nothing more pathetic than the "gun guy" buying a self defense gun for their growler but not wanting to spend much because she is just a woman.

My wife is a small person, on medicare and can do a Bill Drill in < 3 seconds w/ her G-19. She also has arthritis in both thumbs. I would bet that most of the posters on this thread can not do that. Those are the people that advocate for snubby revolvers. Learn properly, do the work, practice weekly. Anyone can do this if properly motivated. Nothing wrong w/ a .22 if that is the only thing that works for you. The correct answer is always proficiency gained through training and practice.

It is your life...learn to save it.

mike r

Don't wish it were easier
Wish you were better

Stab them in the taint, you can't put a tourniquet on that.
Craig Douglas ECQC
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
The Wife came back from a girls backpacking trip last September and had three fresh grouse. I asked her how she killed them. She said she had my Ruger standard with her. It’s not mine anymore.

T
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
T
Took the wife to the gun store and she liked the feel and weight of the Glock G44 .22.

I asked if they had the Walther and all they had was one in 9mm - which she thought was rather heavy.

This weekend I’’ll let her shoot my Ruger LC9s 9mm auto and my LCP .380 auto - I don’t think she’ll like either one.

Even with the modified Rossi trigger upgrade in the LCP it still might be more trigger pull than she’d like.

We’ll see how it goes.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
[Linked Image from p1.gunbroker.com]
Beretta Tom Cat. double/single action - .32ACP = Tip up barrel is a nifty idea.

"All that the South has ever desired was that the Union, as established by our forefathers, should be preserved, and that the government, as originally organized, should be administered in purity and truth." – Robert E. Lee
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
[Linked Image from i357.photobucket.com]

Every day on this side of the ground is a win.
IC B3

T
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
T
I got to handle the Ruger SR22 today. As Kieth Jackson would say “Whoa Nelly”!

The narrower frame would seem to fit her small hands much better imo. Going to call A2 Guns to see if they have one she can shoot at their indoor range.

T
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by scoony
Originally Posted by killerv
m&p compact if I had to choose one, my wife shoots ours well

I second the motion for a S&W M&P 22 compact. Super fun with a suppressor. Wife likes it so much, she claimed it as hers. She hates shooting anything over 22 cal.

Went back to the gun store and an older lady came over and helped my wife. She showed her the S&W M&P 22 Compact and my wife loved it - easy trigger pull. She liked how the lady worked with her - that helps - and is most likely the one we’ll get.

I wanted her to shoot their test model but there were too many people shooting at the indoor range and she's not into to being with crowds. But I think she'll want the 22 Compact.

Last edited by tpcollins; 02/19/20.
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
My wife carried a lady S&W for years, when I came home with a Judge she had to have one. Now she carries a Public Defender in her purse and has my....her Judge in the night stand. She probably shoots 10+ snakes a year and some other varmints while checking the cows. The best advice is to let HER pick what ever she likes, that way you won't be wrong.

Life is good live it while you can.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Birdwatcher
Originally Posted by Bristoe
When you wife expresses a desire for a .22 auto pistol,..it's time to buy a High Standard or a Colt woodsman.

Opportunities like this don't come along very often.

Don't miss it.

Best reply yet.

My wife has several nice 1911's. Also a hot rod M&P CORE with RMR on top.
She really could use a nice High Standard.....

To answer the OP, she has a M&P 22 and a 9MM Shield. The .22 runs better with hotter rounds, Stingers mostly.

Page 6 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
104 members (338reddog, 405joe, 7mm_Loco, 10gaugemag, 444Matt, 12 invisible), 1,350 guests, and 683 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,588
Posts18,397,869
Members73,815
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.