Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
My great grandmother on my mother’s side was a full blood Blackfoot. Have very little on my fathers side going back 7 generations.

My DNA test came back 99.8% white. I did test in the 90% for Neanderthal. Who knew, it was so easy even a caveman could do it.

Call me a little bit of a skeptic.

CK
GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
She is probably as much Indian as I am. My (13 times) Great Grandmother was Indian. She married one of my English ancestor back in 1628. I read one time that in 1650 there was one English woman to every fifty English men in Virginia. after all the generations it comes to something like 0.001 %.

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
You could have a grandparent who was 100% native american. Your parent from that branch would be close to 50% native DNA but there is no guarantee that you would have any native american DNA, you might and might not, you could have sibling with a large percentage while you have little or none. Before I got the test I mistakenly believed the DNA was split evenly from you ancestors, not true, its pretty random.

Last edited by Joezone; 02/12/20.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The Old Squaw from Assachussetts might be 1/1024 Native American, but she'd never last on a reservation or in remote AK village.

[Linked Image from i.pinimg.com]

Z
F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
Originally Posted by Joezone
You could have a grandparent who was 100% native american. Your parent from that branch would be close to 50% native DNA but there is no guarantee that you would have any native american DNA, you might and might not, you could have sibling with a large percentage while you have little or none. Before I got the test I mistakenly believed the DNA was split evenly from you ancestors, not true, its pretty random.

I think you're right Joe, done a lot of reading on the subject when a family member got tested with surprising results. Way over my head, but I do remember some genetics from ol' Mendel and his peas. The family member's grandfather married a Southern Ute woman, we have the documents and entry in family bible. Great grandson shows no native blood. Unless genetic research is done for a legal case, I wonder how accurate these tests are. I mean, let's be honest, it's not like we can run our own test to check on their work. Hire another company maybe, but how would you know if one or the other was accurate...or neither one?

Well this is a fine pickle we're in, should'a listened to Joe McCarthy and George Orwell I guess.
IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Years ago I was in Syracuse NY and went to hear an Onondaga Indian speak. During the talk he mentioned an old White guy living on their rez. The guy had been taken in when his parents died by an Onondaga family when he was a kid. The way the speaker put it was “he is us”, one of them.

So that White guy was considered to be an Indian by some Indians, but no descendants of his would show that. Same would be true of any other White person back in the days living with Indians of which there were a significant number. When people know they are part Indian but DNA doesn’t back it up that might sometimes be the reason. Ironically these people WERE Indians, as the Indians at the time defined it.

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
No per cap or commodities for him eh.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Come November, Warren will hit the "Trail of Tears", like her ancestors.

--- CAUGHT IN THE CROSSFIRE --- A Magic Time To Be An Illegal In America---
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I'm 100% native American

0% American Indian

Official member of "The Clan of Turd-like People"

[Linked Image]
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Our family had a pretty good idea where most of our more recent ancestors immigrated from and I'm one of several siblings. For those of us that have taken the test, results were mostly as expected. We knew we had a small amount of Delaware Indian in our history. My test showed none, same for other siblings that tested with exception of one sister who showed about 2% native American. We got a lot more Scandinavian than expected and don't know of any direct ancestors, most likely got it through Anglo Norman intermixing and aftermath of the Viking raids. I have a Dutch last name but none showed up in DNA, that line has been watered down pretty good over some generations. I'm mostly split between Scandinavian, Celtic and Balkan (Slovenian in our case).

Last edited by Joezone; 02/17/20.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
IC B3

O
OAM Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
O
Originally Posted by sactoller
I'm 100% native American

0% American Indian

Love it!

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by stxhunter
i'm 23% native American, i don't consider myself an Indian.

You are "Dances with Fox"

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
I have all sorts of things to worry about. What my bloodline might be is a long way from making the cut. GD

G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by 1bigdude
I told the wife is Warren is an Indian then I am a black man...She looked at my crotch and said , "God did not intend for you to be a black man"

A lady with a sense of humor is a prize indeed.

Tell her you’re now an Indian.......a member of the Islapaho tribe.

My Indian name is Chief Running Tab.

Last edited by gregintenn; 02/17/20.
Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
Originally Posted by poboy
Come November, Warren will hit the "Trail of Tears", like her ancestors.

Very good and true

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by flintlocke
Originally Posted by Joezone

I think you're right Joe, done a lot of reading on the subject when a family member got tested with surprising results. Way over my head, but I do remember some genetics from ol' Mendel and his peas. The family member's grandfather married a Southern Ute woman, we have the documents and entry in family bible. Great grandson shows no native blood. Unless genetic research is done for a legal case, I wonder how accurate these tests are. I mean, let's be honest, it's not like we can run our own test to check on their work. Hire another company maybe, but how would you know if one or the other was accurate...or neither one?

No trying to be uncouth, but the most probable reason is that some one in the line was “playing the field” so to speak.

Sic Semper Tyrannis
J
Campfire Regular
Online Shocked
Campfire Regular
J
Originally Posted by 1bigdude
I told the wife is Warren is an Indian then I am a black man...She looked at my crotch and said , "God did not intend for you to be a black man"

Did you look her square in the eye and ask her how she kenned that?

For those without thumbs, it's s Garden fookin Island, not Hawaii
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Can these commercial DNA tests be trusted?

I recall a report from last year where the author was dubious as so many people were being identified as having significant native blood. He submitted blood samples from both himself and his beagle. He tested as not having any significant native blood while his beagle should be able to qualify to draw treaty money!

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
KYHillChick is related to Tecumseh by way of his half-sister Tecomapese. It's a long hair story involving a French fur trader and the New Madrid Earthquake. However, my son Angus is more Indian than Elizabeth Warren, and he's more Indian than Scots despite the bagpipes and the kilt and all that.

The latest on me is that KYHillChick dug up a Dutch line that goes back to a buddy of Henry Hudson and the founding of New Amsterdam, and somewhere in that morass is yet another instance where her kin and my kin mucked around with each other.

Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries Lighthearted Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

605 members (10ring1, 10gaugemag, 160user, 10Glocks, 12344mag, 007FJ, 62 invisible), 2,442 guests, and 1,257 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,544
Posts18,453,358
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.