J
JeffyD Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by Tejano
Originally Posted by JeffyD
Thanks for the suggestions, guys. I think I may have found my answer: www.frostriver.com High Falls daypack. .

That is a nice little pack, it is tempting but I have too many already.

That's exactly what The Mrs. is going to tell me when when this one arrives in the mail. LOL!

"No good deed shall go unpunished!"
GB1

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by War_Eagle
I have thought on and off about using an upland vest like Mike recommends. My only gripe is that I have yet to find one that was decently made out of a quiet material.

I have just settled on a lighter, smaller back pack that is large enough to stick my heaviest jacket into the main pocket. Besides that, I usually only carry a knife, gloves, beanie, some paracord, a flashlight or headlamp, and some hand warmers.

My biggest negative to sticking stuff in your pockets has always been that I eventually leave something in my pockets. That is why I like the small, light pack. Everything is in one self-contained location. No matter what I am wearing (generally), I just grab the pack and "go" knowing that what I need is all there.

Remember (depending on where you live) to take your “one bag with everything “ out of the truck at the end of the day. I left a small fanny pack on the back seat of my truck a couple of years ago and while at work, at 0830 or so on a bright sunny Monday morning some scumbag popped my window with a glass breaker and grabbed the bag. I lost Leupy BX3 8x32’s, a Garmin Rino 120, a Nikon Acculon range finder, a stag Remington baby bullet knife and a TOPS knife as well as license, ammunition and probably a Clif bar....
My fault of course and I expect I’ll never see that stuff again but I’d sure like to know who did it. Local PD says the homeless around here will bust your window for 2 bucks in change in your center console. I guess I’m fortunate that it was a grab and go, I had 2 handguns in the truck at the time. Lesson learned.
Mike

"May the LORD bless you and keep you, may His face shine upon you, may He be gracious and give you peace"
from Numbers 6:24-26

V
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
V
Lets see, the OP wanted an alternative to a day pack and after all the discussions what did he find to fulfill his needs, a day pack.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Just gotta have it.

Myself, I use a one or two day pack. I always have extra stuff. Ready for the unexpected.
I'll be ordering myself a new pack soon. I'm going with the Selway 60 by Mystery Ranch.

The pack I'm retiring is a SpikeCamp made by Kifaru It has served me well. It's about 18 years old.

Randy
NRA
Patriot Life Benefactor

Campfire Tracker
Online Happy
Campfire Tracker
I have an old Cabela's Pack Vest. They don't make them any more but here's one for sale on ebay.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Cabelas-Blaze-Orange-Pak-Vest-XL/274321076715?hash=item3fdecf71eb:g:aj8AAOSweNVef9Us

Wag more, bark less.

The freedoms we surrender today will be the freedoms our grandchildren will never know existed.

The men who wrote the Second Amendment didn't just finish a hunting trip, they just finished liberating a nation.
IC B2

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
When I hunt where I can go back to camp for lunch I use a shoulder bag, when I am staying out all day a day pack. An all day stay in the woods requires more food/snacks, water bottles, relief bottle, rain gear, warm clothes, socks, etc.. You get the idea just more stuff requires greater capacity, some hunts require the ability to carry your rifle, sleeping bag, shelter, cooking gear.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Pockets

Life can be rough on us dreamers.
N
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
N

Interesting.

Thinking about giving one a tryout for still hunting.

Kill Kit
Survival kit
Water (could do a platypus over the vest)
Lunch
Compass and maps

“Factio democratica delenda est"
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

166 members (470Evans, 338reddog, 2UP, 35, 44mc, 007FJ, 19 invisible), 1,499 guests, and 891 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,600
Posts18,454,582
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.