Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by rem141r
i quit watching those outdoor shows at least 15 years ago. they were ridiculous. infomercials for realtree and thompson center and canned horschit hunts that 99% of hunters could never do. go to their 300k log cabin sitting on 500 acres of prime property. ride a 20k utv on well groomed trails and sit in a 2k blind dressed in 1k in clothes and watch 150 class bucks parade past all day until a "good buck" comes out and then shoot it with the 1k gun wearing a 2k scope. then act like ya just scored a touchdown while standing over a beautiful animal that just killed and have no intention of eating. those shows made me sick.

About the same here. Maybe longer.

I was involved in a big name group filming spring turkey hunting. Once I saw what all went on it soured me from hunting TV for the most part. Ain't missed it one bit.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by lotech
I've never seen the attraction to "hunting" TV shows.

Ever never nope nada noway

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
There was way back, a program called the American Sportsman. I think Curt Gowdy was the poobah. Anyway, there was this huge housing development/ halfassed resort thing going in, called Lake Shastina ( a reservoir filled with algae and copious quantities of cowschidt) and A.S. was hired I guess to promote it. I was there working on a broke down Cat scraper some distance away. There was a couple of guys with shotguns, a big film crew, a couple dog handlers, about 10 gawkers and two guys with a load of chukars in cages. Found out later, one of the gunners was a movie guy named Phil Harris. So they would shoot short film sequences of the birds rising out of the sagebrush, the dogs pointing and the gunners gunning. Staged from start to finish. Nobody moved more than 50 feet from the film van. Friends later told me they saw the program on TV, and it looked like the bird hunt of a lifetime. The pitch was I guess, that if you bought one of these lava strewn lots in the shadow of Mt Shasta...you too would have grand hunting opportunities at your doorstep. Phony hunting videos ain't a new phenomena.

Well this is a fine pickle we're in, should'a listened to Joe McCarthy and George Orwell I guess.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I have seen guys shoot deer etc with arrows from tree stands that would make you so mad you wished you could knock them right out of that stand real hard like

U
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
U
I remember seeing a show 6-8 years ago with two guys riding their horses with Sharps rifles across their saddle horns talking about bison. They rode and talked for awhile and then rode up to a fence with a pasture beyond it and a barn to the side. There was a lone bison standing in the pasture and the one shot it. You could see a county road in the background. It was disgusting.

IC B2

1minute Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
About 3 years back what was supposed to an American version of driven grouse. Pen raised Ring Necks tossed off of an up hill rim.

1Minute
H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
My biggest issue with TV hunting shows is the "different class" treatment of said "stars".

I've seen (and documented here on the Fire) Lee and Tiffany baiting deer in Iowa, which is illegal, only to see a state official hunt with those phoucs. The [bleep] even posted in the local Swisher paper about his 7x7 yard vegetable gardens in the middle of the woods, then talked on TV about his "farming" of crops he cut down for bait.

I've also watched the late Dale Earnhardt hunt here with the great Bill Jordan on a late muzzleloader deer hunt without wearing ANY orange, but plenty of Realtree camo, again, which is illegal here.

Seems if you have a TV show and the graft works, all is golden.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
I do like the show Dropped, it's pretty good.

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
What chaps me is how often the TV hunters "back out and do the right thing" and leave a deer or worse yet an elk overnight and recover it the next day "early" when the sun is already high the sky. "It got good and cold last night" they always say even during bow seasons.
You know damn well that big bull elk is soured, and sometimes the deer is eaten by coyotes. Yet they are so proud, doing high fives and backslapping.
Makes me want to puke.

T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
Originally Posted by WYcoyote
What chaps me is how often the TV hunters "back out and do the right thing" and leave a deer or worse yet an elk overnight and recover it the next day "early" when the sun is already high the sky. "It got good and cold last night" they always say even during bow seasons.
You know damn well that big bull elk is soured, and sometimes the deer is eaten by coyotes. Yet they are so proud, doing high fives and backslapping.
Makes me want to puke.

Agreed ! There are times when backing out until daylight the next morning is the right thing to do but I have noticed that these “pros” have a bad habit of walking away from a killing shot that anyone knows is a deer that’s probably not going to make it 75 yards . They always go back to “camp” which is actually a 7000 square foot log cabin lodge , to “review the footage” and then make the decision to feed the coyotes with their lung-shot deer . Makes me sick !

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
As stated by others, those shows are so far from reality it turns my stomach. Those shows are little more and commercials for the guide, and the gear. As an example of these "hunts", one of our Big Wigs at work went on one of these canned elk hunts. The biologist for the ranch rode him around as he picked out a "suitable" bull. They looked it up in a photo album, and the biologist told him the specifics on that bull. X years old, X weight as of the last time they darted it, descendant of X line, etc. He shot the monster, had it mounted, and found out it wouldn't fit through the doors to his house, and his ceiling wasn't high enough to take the mount. He had an architect design a new "wing" to his house all set up to take the elk head. By the time he'd paid for the hunt, tips to the biologist and crew, the taxidermist, the architect and construction company, the hunt cost him close to a quarter million dollars. Yeah, I'll never have to worry about that. So phony.

Last edited by gophergunner; 02/13/20.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
A couple more observations. Tell me how in the hell these guys continue to draw the “impossible “ tags for elk, year after year?? One of my hunting spots borders the Valle Vidal in NM. It’s a once in a lifetime tag that takes a ton of luck and many years to get. God help you if you’re a non-resident. Just about as hard are the unit 16 tags in the Gila. Yet our heroes draw those tags just as easy as pie!

The hardest tag in my little world of elk hunting right now is of course, Kentucky. A bull tag is just about impossible. Yet meat eater gets a bull tag and takes a pretty one. During the show he relates that he “was asked by the Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation” to come and hunt a bull. Excuse me? How the hell can RMEF dictate who draws a tag in KY? It’s a known fact that some state agencies can, and do, hold a few tags out of the draw in their primo areas for special guests.....hunting shows who can showcase (advertise) their beautiful state’s hunting resources so maybe that was it.

Lee and Tiffany have no need to bait. In their section of Iowa their are thousands upon thousands of acres of corn planted of course. Everyone in that area combines their corn.....it’s their livelihood. Lee & Tiffany who generally leave it standing or mow it down here and there. They do have major frustrations with neighbors who also like to hunt, but combine their corn, as the Lakoskys are drawing deer right and left off the neighbors and on to their property. They are not too awfully popular at all with adjoining landowners...not at all. Now, I’ll be the first to admit, I don’t know Iowa’s laws concerning corn left unharvested, and whether that is considered baiting. I would suspect not though....the show is too out in the open with their management schemes in that regard. Baiting laws can be strange. NM calls food plots baiting in some areas I hunt....wow.

Last edited by Godogs57; 02/13/20.

You only live once, but...if you do it right, once is enough.
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by rem141r
i quit watching those outdoor shows at least 15 years ago. they were ridiculous. infomercials for realtree and thompson center and canned horschit hunts that 99% of hunters could never do. go to their 300k log cabin sitting on 500 acres of prime property. ride a 20k utv on well groomed trails and sit in a 2k blind dressed in 1k in clothes and watch 150 class bucks parade past all day until a "good buck" comes out and then shoot it with the 1k gun wearing a 2k scope. then act like ya just scored a touchdown while standing over a beautiful animal that just killed and have no intention of eating. those shows made me sick.

Ditto....

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I've quit watching that crap. Once in a blue moon I'll watch Shockey. I've never been a Jackie Bushman or Michael Waddell fan, but some of the idiots on today make them look good. I've said that you could take a hot girl, teach her how to shoot, and I'll guarantee you that somebody, somewhere, would pay big bucks to sponsor her.

I'm not sexist, and I don't mind seeing women hunters, because I have 2 granddaughters that deer hunt. But, let's be brutally honest about it............have you ever seen a big old fat ugly chick hunting on one of these shows lately. Of course not, they're all young and pretty. Poor old Brenda Valentine, back in the day, wouldn't even make to top 50 list today.......lol.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Godogs57
A couple more observations. Tell me how in the hell these guys continue to draw the “impossible “ tags for elk, year after year?? One of my hunting spots borders the Valle Vidal in NM. It’s a once in a lifetime tag that takes a ton of luck and many years to get. God help you if you’re a non-resident. Just about as hard are the unit 16 tags in the Gila. Yet our heroes draw those tags just as easy as pie!

The hardest tag in my little world of elk hunting right now is of course, Kentucky. A bull tag is just about impossible. Yet meat eater gets a bull tag and takes a pretty one. During the show he relates that he “was asked by the Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation” to come and hunt a bull. Excuse me? How the hell can RMEF dictate who draws a tag in KY? It’s a known fact that some state agencies can, and do, hold a few tags out of the draw in their primo areas for special guests.....hunting shows who can showcase (advertise) their beautiful state’s hunting resources so maybe that was it.

Lee and Tiffany have no need to bait. In their section of Iowa their are thousands upon thousands of acres of corn planted of course. Everyone in that area combines their corn.....it’s their livelihood. Lee & Tiffany who generally leave it standing or mow it down here and there. They do have major frustrations with neighbors who also like to hunt, but combine their corn, as the Lakoskys are drawing deer right and left off the neighbors and on to their property. They are not too awfully popular at all with adjoining landowners...not at all. Now, I’ll be the first to admit, I don’t know Iowa’s laws concerning corn left unharvested, and whether that is considered baiting. I would suspect not though....the show is too out in the open with their management schemes in that regard. Baiting laws can be strange. NM calls food plots baiting in some areas I hunt....wow.

Good post. I'll add this about Kentucky..........I've put in for an elk tag every year there's been a drawing, and never got one. My son did draw an archery tag for a bull. I get a letter each year offering me a chance to "buy" a Kentucky elk tag to help support the RMEF. It's all about money, everything usually is.

Don't know about Lee and Tiffany, but I imagine that they're not too concerned with making money off their crops. We're helping them out every time we buy something from one of their sponsors.

U
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
U
Hunting is just like every other part of our society. There's an "us" and there's a "them" and we ain't "them". Money and power talks.

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
We just added the outdoor channel option to our direct tv, my son loves hunting shows. I was pretty ticked off when the first thing on was wicked tuna stuff, I can watch that elsewhere.

Watched a guy letting deer expire overnight, I don't understand that, maybe that is me being from Ga where we have warm winters, but other states do to, and if you are in shortsleeves hunting on camera, make a good shot with a bow which clearly the camera suggests also with all the slomo...and "you decide to wait overnight before trailing"...and the then next morning, he only went 30 yards into the brush. That meat is ruined... it was all about the horns for them.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by UPhiker
Hunting is just like every other part of our society. There's an "us" and there's a "them" and we ain't "them". Money and power talks.

Yep. Thats it in a nut shell.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by BlueDuck
Originally Posted by UPhiker

Yep. Thats it in a nut shell.

I think this kid falls into the "US" category, just a young illusive Youtuber that seems to have a knack for getting his kills on camera. Pretty good for outdoor youth to relate to.

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
We don't even have those channels anymore. I don't miss them.

Camp is where you make it.
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

98 members (10Glocks, 808outdoors, Akhutr, 21, Algotguns, 1973cb450, 10 invisible), 1,491 guests, and 703 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,280
Posts18,467,678
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.