Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
J
jertex Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
J
I've been a Marlin owner (too many to mention) since I was 15 (a few decades ago) but I ran across this Winchester while chasing down a Marlin model that I've wanted for some time. I did some research, discovered that the price made it a no-brainer, and couldn't resist. It's quite a nice gun and the action is buttery smooth. I'm afraid I may catch Winchesteritis to go along with my Marlinitis! (the bluing is great, just some smudges & glare in the pics)

[Linked Image from photos.smugmug.com]

Jerry
BP-B2

E
ejo Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
Very nice rifle. I foolishly sold one very similar when I was 15. Wish I could have that one back. I hope you enjoy the rifle.

J
jertex Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
J
Originally Posted by ejo
Very nice rifle. I foolishly sold one very similar when I was 15. Wish I could have that one back. I hope you enjoy the rifle.

Ouch!

Thanks, I'm sure I will. Now I have to determine if I want to mount a peep sight or scope. Since a 22 magnum has pretty good range, I'm leaning scope. I found some rings and I have a couple of good scopes that I could use. My only hesitation is that the scope mounting system on that rifle seems like it would be prone to movement forward/backward. I may just go with a peep sight since I already have the Marlin 1894M with a scope.

Jerry
V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
Jertex: That is a beautiful Rifle!
Good for you. I bought one similar to it this past summer while on a gun chasing trip to the west coast.
The model I purchased, alas, is also a 22 Magnum and its model designation is 94/22M - it has the straight (no pistol grip) butt stock.
I think your model is much more handsome/pleasing than my Rifle - even though my 94/22M has the checkered butt stock and forearm..
Back in 2,003 or maybe 2,004 I was out of state doing a body guard assignment in Bend, Oregon. We were working in teams of two in 12 hour shifts and it was our turn to have "daylight" so off my gun-nut partner and I go to all the gunshops in Bend and in nearby Redmond, Oregon. There on the wall of a small shop in Redmond was a Rifle just like yours (the stocks were "checkered" though IIRC) , but it was in the then newish 17 HMR caliber.
I had lots of cash but I decided to "sleep on it" and make sure I really wanted a "lever action" 17 HMR - a day or two later I had made up my mind and returned to that little shop and sadly the Rifle was gone - it had sold.
I have been looking for another one ever since!
Seen a couple but they were priced so high I have not pulled the trigger on one yet.
I am glad YOU did not hesitate as these Rifles nowadays are both popular and pricey.
Again enjoy that beautiful Rifle.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
Jertex: I can NOT tell in either of your pictures if the "magazine tube" extends to the end of the barrel or does it stop back a ways from the muzzle?
TIA for clarification.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

IC B2

J
jertex Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
J
Originally Posted by VarmintGuy
Jertex: I can NOT tell in either of your pictures if the "magazine tube" extends to the end of the barrel or does it stop back a ways from the muzzle?
TIA for clarification.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Yes, it's a little dark toward that end. I made a copy of the pic, cropped it, & brought up the shadows. See below.

Jerry
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I had one many years ago. It shot great, but I could not keep it from rusting.

J
jertex Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
J
Originally Posted by Teeder

That's odd, this gun is well over 30 years old and doesn't have one spot of rust on it. I wonder why yours was such a problem?

Jerry
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by jertex
TIA for clarification.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Yes, it's a little dark toward that end. I made a copy of the pic, cropped it, & brought up the shadows. See below.

What is the difference in ones with the magazine all the way out to the end and those with shorter barrels?

Thanks

Some mornings, it just does not feel worth it to chew through the straps!~
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
A wonderful find for you...I have always admired the Winchester 22 Classic models with the pistol grip stocks.

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

That's odd, this gun is well over 30 years old and doesn't have one spot of rust on it. I wonder why yours was such a problem?

I'm not sure, but I've never had another rifle like it.
This was back in the 'late '80's.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I don’t own any Winchester levers but not because I don’t like them, I just haven’t been in the right place at the right time. That being said I am afraid to get my first one as I foresee getting into another obsession. But one couldn’t hurt.

Help keep our sport going. take a kid outdoors!
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

I'm not sure, but I've never had another rifle like it.
This was back in the 'late '80's.

In 67-68 era Browning used a salt curing on their stocks. Some 9422's were built by them .could be the reason for the rust

the consolidation of the states into one vast republic, sure to be aggressive abroad and despotic at home, will be the certain precursor of that ruin which has overwhelmed all those that have preceded. Robert E Lee
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Had one like that, but in 22LR. GREAT little rifle, but something else came along that I had to have, and it went down the road.

Presently have a 9422 carbine in 22 mag W/lam stock. I've put a peep sight on it, that fits in the rear sight dovetail.

GREAT combo W/an Ivory bead front.

Virgil B.

J
jertex Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
J
Originally Posted by JimHnSTL
I don’t own any Winchester levers but not because I don’t like them, I just haven’t been in the right place at the right time. That being said I am afraid to get my first one as I foresee getting into another obsession. But one couldn’t hurt.

That's right, just try it, it's not like you can't stop once you start, like crack cocaine or anything. wink

Jerry
J
jertex Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
J
Originally Posted by travelingman1
TIA for clarification.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

What is the difference in ones with the magazine all the way out to the end and those with shorter barrels?

Thanks

I have no idea, I would like to know why VarmintGuy was asking, there's probably something I need to learn.

Last edited by jertex; 02/15/20.

Jerry
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
The 94/22 XTR Classics were only made for 3 years. If I remember correctly 85-86- 87. I know a few years ago they were bringing a premium over standard XTRs. As far as I know all the Classics had a magazine about like yours. Mine is a .22LR. I couldn't begin to guess at the number of thousands of rounds through it, all trouble free. I have no doubts that you will love yours.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Those who are always shooting off at the mouth usually aren't shooting straight.

Build a man a fire and he’ll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he’ll be warm for the rest of his life.

www.wvcdl.org
V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
Jertex: I was asking just out of curiosity - there seem to be a number of variations (styles) of that era Winchester 94/22's and I admire them but am completely uninformed about the nuances of the different models.
I did have a "love affair" (was a serious collector of), going on, about 40 years ago with the Winchester 94/22 Classics/XTR's big brothers (the Model 64's, 94's, 71's. 53's and 55's).
My finding a learning source for these later Model 94/22's has been fruitless so far.
Anyway I sold most all of my lever guns and turned the monies into Model 70 Winchesters - but I still admire the Winchester levers (centerfire and rimfire).
Just learnin'.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

A
A

"In 67-68 era Browning used a salt curing on their stocks. Some 9422's were built by them .could be the reason for the rust"

Browning never built any of the 9422's, so their salt curing issue doesn't apply here. Most likely, it's an environmental issue. High humidity requires frequent maintenance and oiling to keep the rust at bay. I live in a very arid part of the country and have never had issues with rust here, but did in a previous location that had a much more humid environment.

That said, the OP has a really beautiful 9422!

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Love my 9422s.

Attached Images

I like guns | optics | fishing
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
430 members (204guy, 10gaugemag, 1beaver_shooter, 16penny, 280shooter, 1_deuce, 58 invisible), 2,525 guests, and 1,166 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,723
Posts18,400,578
Members73,820
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.