Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
B
bt8897 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
I bought a rifle that has been Cerakoted somewhat poorly, I would like to remove it and rust blue it. What type of blasting media do I need to remove it yet preserve the roll marks?

GB1

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Fine glass bead if your blueing it unless the cerakote was done right and the rifle was parkerized before cerakoted then you will have to use fine sand or aluminum oxide to remove the parkerizing then bead blast and then blue

M
Campfire Greenhorn
Online Content
Campfire Greenhorn
M
gemby58 I find your reply interesting. Not trying to sound like a 'know-it-all', but I am new to cerakoting and have followed the manufacturing instructions to the letter in an attempt to get the best results possible. You stated that 'unless the cerakote was done right and the rifle was parkerized before cerakoted' which implies that one must parkerize before cerakoting. I have never found that in the manufacture's instructions. Again, I am not trying to question your procedure, I am trying to learn. Thanks MPickle

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I too am wanting to learn. no knowledge is poverty, any knowledge is riches!
I am poor
I find myself wanting to try these procedures. spent 50 years bluing, checkering, oil finishes, etc.
now am intrigued by hydrodipping, cerakoteing, duracoateing, etc.

Last edited by deerstalker; 03/01/20.

the consolidation of the states into one vast republic, sure to be aggressive abroad and despotic at home, will be the certain precursor of that ruin which has overwhelmed all those that have preceded. Robert E Lee
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
I would also like to hear more....

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Getting back to removing cerakote... I have found it takes little more than a damp paper towel.

wink

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Originally Posted by mpickle
gemby58 I find your reply interesting. Not trying to sound like a 'know-it-all', but I am new to cerakoting and have followed the manufacturing instructions to the letter in an attempt to get the best results possible. You stated that 'unless the cerakote was done right and the rifle was parkerized before cerakoted' which implies that one must parkerize before cerakoting. I have never found that in the manufacture's instructions. Again, I am not trying to question your procedure, I am trying to learn. Thanks MPickle

Applying any spray on finish without properly preparing the metal is like painting a car without primering it first

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by gemby58
Originally Posted by mpickle

Applying any spray on finish without properly preparing the metal is like painting a car without primer and it 1st

you mean like the early 90's pickups? only there they used incompatible primer and paint.

the consolidation of the states into one vast republic, sure to be aggressive abroad and despotic at home, will be the certain precursor of that ruin which has overwhelmed all those that have preceded. Robert E Lee
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
M
Campfire Greenhorn
Online Content
Campfire Greenhorn
M
I agree with you 100%, properly preparing the metal is critical in cerakoting metals and plastics. I have read the procedures furnished by the manufacturer (NIC Industries) as to properly preparing and applying cerakote and have never read that they recommend parkerizing anything prior to applying cerakote. Is there another supplier of Cerakote or possible a better way to apply it than is recommended by the manufacturer? I only belabor this point because I want to supply my clients with the best job I can, one that looks good and lasts. Regards, MPickle

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
"unless the cerakote was done right and the rifle was parkerized before cerakoted"

This statement, to me, implies that the rifle should have been parkerized before applying Cera-kote .

Gemby, please clarify.

NRA Life Patron Member Benefactor Level
USN/USMC Vietnam Vet 1969-70
IC B3

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by Sitka deer
Getting back to removing cerakote... I have found it takes little more than a damp paper towel.

wink

LOL Going to go out on a limb and say you have no cerakoted rifles.

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Originally Posted by bt8897
I bought a rifle that has been Cerakoted somewhat poorly, I would like to remove it and rust blue it. What type of blasting media do I need to remove it yet preserve the roll marks?

Have the guy “blasting” off the cerakote use powder or fine glass beads in the roll mark areas, and then blast the rest.
Using fine glass beads or powder will take FOREVER... but it will remove the least metal surface.... the rest, well you don’t call all that much.

If it’s NOT baked cerakote you might be able to use paint remover and a lot of elbow grease with a tooth brush... check this link
https://adventurefootstep.com/how-to-remove-cerakote/

Last edited by Spotshooter; 03/02/20.
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Spotshooter
Originally Posted by bt8897

Have the guy “blasting” off the cerakote use powder or fine glass beads in the roll mark areas, and then blast the rest.
Using fine glass beads or powder will take FOREVER... but it will remove the least metal surface.... the rest, well you don’t call all that much.

If it’s NOT baked cerakote you might be able to use paint remover and a lot of elbow grease with a tooth brush... check this link
https://adventurefootstep.com/how-to-remove-cerakote/

This is good advice.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Oldelkhunter

wink

That would be incorrect. I have rifles done with cerakote and other coatings and in my direct experience cerakote is a joke. I have seen a rifle with cerakote applied by a well-known gunsmith with much experience and a good reputation fail badly. On a single trip on a Kodiak bear hunt the cerakote wore through on the barrel just from riding in a rubber raft with the barrel resting on a tube... i have seen other failures as well.

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by Oldelkhunter

wink

That would be incorrect. I have rifles done with cerakote and other coatings and in my direct experience cerakote is a joke. I have seen a rifle with cerakote applied by a well-known gunsmith with much experience and a good reputation fail badly. On a single trip on a Kodiak bear hunt the cerakote wore through on the barrel just from riding in a rubber raft with the barrel resting on a tube... i have seen other failures as well.

I have seen Cerakote rifles new and used and it isn't pretty

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
How can that be. I have read many times on this forum that Cerakote is the finest, most durable weatherproof coating available.

He who joyfully marches in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would suffice.

- Albert Einstein
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by doubletap
How can that be. I have read many times on this forum that Cerakote is the finest, most durable weatherproof coating available.

Hype...

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Apply any baked spray on gun finishes on a rifle or parts just out of a Parkerizing tank and the finish is like on Steroids, I do this using teflon, gun kote, duracote, cerakot aluma hyde on carbon steel metal, stainless just get blasted with aluma oxide blasting media the coated. That said the Parkerized metal out last the coating stainless

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
I have standard cerakoted guns and I have guns that have been parkerized and then cerakoted. The ones that are parkerized first seem to hold up better as the parkerizing acts as a primer so the paint bonds better.

You will have to abrasive blast off the cerakote probably with either aluminum oxide or garnet media but it will probably leave a rough surface. I'm not sure if glass beads will remove cerakote but they might.

NRA life of duty member
TN Firearms Association member
Hand gun carry permit
Law enforcement carry card
C&R license from atf
G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Glass beads will remove cerakote, but it's best to use coarse fresh beads not ones high pressure around 80 psi plus and that have not been used in a blasting cabinet over and over. Parkerizing acid etches the metal that's why baked on or just regular spray finish last longer. I do this right out of the tank after liquid evaporates and metal is still warm, if not applying spray on finish after parkerizing it goes into ATF tank to soak for 2 days

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

373 members (10gaugemag, 260Remguy, 17CalFan, 264mag, 270winchester, 10gaugeman, 32 invisible), 2,516 guests, and 1,198 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,598
Posts18,454,430
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.